Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 13 of 15     «   Prev   10   11   12   13   14   15   Next
JB4trucks

Definitely carry chains, a six foot pry bar and patience if more snow and ice hit the road it maybe tereturous going. Carry extra fuel incase you have to exit though a different route. Good luck
James Sel

More snow on its way
Terawanderer

Thanks so much for the intel......We are going next weekend....
JB4trucks

We went over from Olancha to Saline Friday morning, encountered a light dusting of snow in the air and maybe 2-4" in some areas, some icy spots for sure. No chains uses by any of the ten 4x4 rigs that came over that day or five additional rigs on Sat. We all returned today back over the pass, lots of mud and a few icy stretches but no chains needed. Lots of rocks in the road some will take a pry bar and some muscle to move. Travel smart and be safe
jynxx1970

Oh yea i am ready ill be heading in Fri 01-20-2016 ill up date my travels.. ill  bring 3 20#Bag of salt [biggrin]

I [frown]chicken out 
Salt Peter

Good intel Jermination. Welcome to SPA. Hope this stuff melts soon.
Jermination

Several well equipped vehicles, with chains, had to turn back (our party and other parties as well). One of the significant issues was the iciness at Saline Valley road and Hunter Mountain Road on the hill down to Saline Valley as it was hard to keep vehicles on the road (even with chains). If you attempt it, be ready for icy conditions and up to 6 inches of snow in some places.

Attached Images
jpeg IMG_0111.JPG (218.25 KB, 115 views)
jpeg IMG_0112.JPG (103.17 KB, 108 views)

BiggSean

Any updates on road conditions within the last 24 hours?
Salt Peter

I too noted many new boulders from the hillsides which were now in and along the road. The road conditions may be changing even more with the recent storms and those in the forecast.
JB4trucks

Thanks for the info Bill
Just Bill

Entered south Thursday the 5th mid day: clear weather melting snow ....muddy slippery , some ice areas nothing serious. Exited Sunday the 8th... same conditions....do need 4x4 in mud. Some rock slides needed a big bar once to get a large rock out of path. Storms didn't affect road as might of been anticipated! Safe slow travels all!
BiggSean

Any recent updates on the condition of South Pass? 
BiggSean

Food4more: We are going to be there from the 13th to the 15th. Feel free to come by and say hi. I'll be driving a white FJ Cruiser on 35" duratracs. 
Food4more

BiggSean, how long is your group going to be out there? I'm part of a party of 10 jeeps that are heading in on the same weekend or a few days before. Hope to check out your group's rigs
Food4more

Wouldn't say that they deserve it. Hope they learned from it. I wasn't able to get in via south pass so I went in via Lippincott. A bit out of the way but worth it.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!