Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 13 of 13     «   Prev   10   11   12   13
Smiffy1892

Indirectly I've heard both roads are in good shape as of last week (monday) - but if anyone else has come out recently an update would be appreciated!
Taco truck

If anyone returning from Halloween weekend could post a road update for the south pass, I'd appreciate it
TheyWander

Perfect today
SilverBob

Dropping your tire pressure to 10 psi or less will usually get you out of deep sand. The problem is when you're in what I call "silt". Tires won't "float" on silt, no matter how much air you let out. Best to just go around if possible.
knockknock

What about lowering tire pressure ? Seen it done at the beach, lot's of sand.
Terawanderer

I was just there two weeks ago.  Some people have started a bypass to the left side of the sandy area.    Pay attention and have  a tow strap along.  
SalineJim

I have a question for those that have gone to the springs recently.  It appears there is some soft sand before the bat pole.  Over the past 2 trips I go in with my buddy Bill, he drives my 4WD Dodge and I drive my 2WD Ford F-150.  Is it ok to still do this?  If i got stuck with the Ford could I use the Dodge to pull me out of the sand?  

Bottom line is I just want to know if it's too risky to drive the 2WD Ford F-150 through that sand patch?
Sierracu

Just came out today. No body around. Very nice! Bat road is not "completely" washed out as some might have experienced two weeks or more ago. Watch out for sand trap just before Bat Post, gun it in 4wd, and just go easy along washed out area just before the Lower Spring. Did some road work, moved a few rocks on my way out. Follow the existing tracks and go slow. No big deal.
John914

South Pass is in really good shape and seems to have been recently graded. Bat Road is getting more passable but at the same time, there's no clear indication of where the road is, as there's now several options for passage in many places.
That said, I made it back to the 190 in record time this morning.
Major Tom

Please post any up to date information on the south pass in this thread. Anything older than 30 days will be subject to deletion as we go along.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!