Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 4      1   2   3   4   Next
Dpsmedic

This link will take you to multiple time lapse videos of various roads through out the park, Some of which you will be on If it is not appropriate to cross post from another forum here let me know and I will delete

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/death-valley-roads-and-trails.191195/

highlander

South pass is in good shape. Little ice, but nothing a 4x4 can't handle.
tonapah tom

ok.. thank you..
genocache

Lippincott does indeed "T" off Saline Valley Rd and heads East(?).

Jenn,

Here is the thread on water; http://forum.salinepreservation.org/post/fresh-water-source-near-salt-lake-9992148?pid=1307605481

You might want to PM dunklecreature and share info. Also the "road" around Eureka Dunes it will be fine until you reach the camping area and after that it will be fine deep sand, expect to walk a mile or more. Can/will you stash water at the dunes?
    May can be iffy weather but expect dry air and drinking more than anticipated. The 80K from Crankshaft to Warm Springs won't be too bad because from Steele Pass to the springs is basically downhill, a rough, rocky, beautiful downhill. Going to stop at the bathtub, petroglyphs?

Day 2......I haven't been on Saline Rd since they started grading it, hopefully some one who has can chime in, Expect loose sand and small rocks, there was one section that is a straight shortcut that goes through some fesh-fesh. Is that still there?

Lippincott will be a loooooong grind in mostly first gear and will take at least a couple of hours.

Back to the stashing water at the base of Lippincott, There should me some youtube videos showing South Pass I don't have any that focus on it, I do have this one that shows some of it starting around the 16.00 mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eLVUykLoTc&t=1024s
   By May you might be able to drive to Lippincott and cache water. You will have to keep an eye on the forums/weather.
   As far as riding down and then back up to cache water, I just made this and I hope you can access it; https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/2403386275  It shows 3985 change in elevation in 10.43 miles, so one heck of a climb but not as bad as Lippincott. It does 1905' in 7.01m.

Anywho, that's my thoughts, Have fun and let us know how it went.
gene 
Salt Peter

Dedeckera Canyon is the last stretch of the road from the springs to Eureka Valley. It is the part with the steps shown in the videos. Lippincott does traverse the valley east/west between South Pass and The Racetrack. Some confusion may be happening since this is the South Pass road conditions thread.
tonapah tom

nice videos..where are they taken at? on what road? im confused tho. I thought the Lippincott climed from the saline
valley road to the racetrack.not to the south pass?
tonapah tom

hmmm. where is dedeckera canyon? thought I knew the area..
jbezrutczyk

Hi Gene, Salt, and Thunder,

Thanks for all this info! Gene, those videos are getting me really excited to check out these roads.

I made an error on my first post and would like to clarify.  I am looking to start my bicycle route at Crankshaft Canyon.  I'd park my sedan there (if that is allowed, I still have to call the NP to make sure that's cool) and then I'd ride mountain bikes with my friend down South Eureka Valley Road. First overnight would be at Warm Springs. Day 2 we would continue our route up Lippincott for an overnight at Homestake Dry Camp.  The final day would be along Racetrack Road to return to Crankshaft Canyon.  I've attached a screenshot of the route I plotted out.

As for water stops, I was thinking that the entrance to Lippincott would be a good place to cache since it's about at the halfway mark.  So there'd be water there and at Grapevine.  Gene, thanks for the water source tip, I'll search the forum for more details on that.

I still have to look into the water source option.  But- for my original plan I was thinking to drive up from 190 past South Pass to the start of Lippincott so I could cache water there.  (I made an error on my original post, I was getting 168 and 190 confused).  I wasn't sure if my Sedan would make it up to Lippincott though.  It definitely wouldn't be able to do Dedeckera Canyon, and I wonder if South Pass is like that too?  The other option is I can drive my sedan as far as I can go, then mountain bike the rest to drop off the water.  If I have to mountain bike a big chunk of the way from 190 to Lippincott I will probably just try to figure out an alternate option.

Thanks all for helping me out with this. Death Valley is my favorite place I've ever been, and I'm really excited to see a new section of the park.  I'm a bit envious you all live so close to it.

Oh, and looking at the weather I was thinking to do this route in late May.  I think the temperatures at these elevations would be in the low/mid 80s in the daytime, and 50s in the evenings.  

I'm open to any and all recommendations. I'm a newbie to the north part of the park and want to be as informed as possible to stay safe for my travels.

Yee Haw!

PS. After orienting myself to these forums I realize this may not have been the best thread to post my questions.  If you'd like me to open a conversation in 'General' just holler. 

Attached Images
png Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 8.31.34 PM.png (517.57 KB, 8 views)

Thunder58

Salt,
He is actually coming in from the north pass and wants to drive a sedan in and cache the water.

Unless that Sedan is a Subaru or like auto, you will not make it in far enough to cache. Not sure what to tell you. Weather will be key and plan for a lot longer than it says. We drive a 4x4 into the Springs with Rock tires. It takes 2 hours just to get into the springs from the North pass. 

I hope some of the more experienced riders can give you more info.

Stay safe!
Salt Peter

I do want to note those videos are of Dedeckera Canyon and not South or North Pass to ensure no confusion.
genocache

Jen,

You planning on starting at Crankshaft Junction? I'm a long time mountain biker/tourer. When are you going? Weather will be very important both for the ride and stashing water. The distances in the park are deceiving on a map as the terrain is tough and slower going than you think.
     Right now it is unlikely that you can get a sedan over South Pass from the latest reports I've read. Due to mud and rocks.

Here are some videos I shot of the area;

The climb from Lippincott to South Pass is long for riding down, stashing water and riding back up.

There is a water source on the Saline Valley floor. Mentioned in another thread.

regards,
gene

tonapah tom

good luck.and be safe..
jbezrutczyk

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. [biggrin]  Oooh ok I got the highways backward, yes, I'd be going north from 190 to South Pass.

Below is the route I plotted out, going counter-clockwise. Ideally I would cache at the entrance to Lippincott, or nearby.  Was thinking to camp at Warm Springs, then Homestake.  If I can't cache I'm thinking to go to Homestake Dry Camp only, but that'd be a really long slog of a day.

https://www.strava.com/routes/17188142

Again, I appreciate your help and expertise!
Thunder58

Where exactly are you going to from the 168? You could comfortable drive in a regular car probably up to the pine trees. After that the rocks get pretty bad and I would worry about my tires. You could stash water there. But that is the North pass. The south pass is out off the 190.
jbezrutczyk

Hi everyone, I'm stoked to find this forum, it's very informative.

I'm looking to do a 3-day mountain bike trip and am trying to figure out where to cache water.  I was thinking to drive up a little past South Pass from 168 to get to the start of Lippincott, but I'm not sure if my vehicle could make it up - a sedan.  I wanted to get some intel on how far i could ride up Saline Valley in my car, and then I could perhaps mountain bike the rest of the way to drop off the water (it'd just be there a day and change).  If I'd have to mountain bike the whole 26 mi trip from 168 and the 26mi back, then I may just try to carry the 3 days of water with me on my bike or try to do the route in 2 days.

Thanks,
Jen[crazy]

EDIT:  I'd be going up from 190, not 168.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution