Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
mdskier

Came in South Pass 5/21/18  Road was in great shape. parts had been graded. Minimal washboarding.
Thunder58

Drove out South Pass today. Good condition. A few washboard spots, pass was clear and they were starting on the 190 turn off with the graders again.
mikeb

Drove out south pass yesterday,  pass was in very good  condition.  Dry, with a few minor puddles after Thursday rain.

Terawanderer

South Pass  is dry with no snow or ice as of today.....even with last nights rain at the springs.....it was a beautiful weekend out there....
bmgyver

came out south pass yesterday 3/5/18 on an adventure bike
no snow or ice on road great conditions
JayOtheMountains

On the chance of bringing this thread back to TOPIC... (Edited to fix photo)

Drove in/out via south pass this past week. 1/14/18 - 1/21/18.

Going in: Road condition is great. Inyo county road graders are parked on Santa Rosa Flat. There are a few holes on the sides of the road where rocks were moved during grading - watch out for them as they'll swallow tires. In the grapevine things were smooth and traveling was easy. The flats are small/medium washboard, but that's expected.

It snowed on Friday 1/19/18. Probably 1-2 inches on S. Pass. There was spots of ~1" of snow packed in the shady areas. Slick. 2WD vehicles and adventure bikes were having issues as it was in the steeper sections. The photo below was taken lower down. I had hands on wheel and remained driving higher up in the slick sections. I am assuming that it will be mid-week-ish before it thaws.
IMG_20180121_124125670.jpg 

DIG

Came out south pass yesterday, no snow or any trace, road clear
encore889

Here's the full trip report....btw this isn't me.... i just found the link and shared it.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/trip-report-death-valley-and-a-wrecked-80.1033660/

80Rollover.jpg Found this at Sad end to someone's FJ80 | Page 4 | IH8MUD Forum
Salt Peter

Looks like another rollover crash. This time on South pass. From all accounts people are ok but lost their dog.
20171228_132050.jpg

20171228_132125.jpg
springz

Drove from South to North today (190 to 168) in a Jeep Wrangler and smooth sailing to whole way -- no washboard to speak of and Bat Road was clear too.  Here's the view entering from the South.

saline-vivianchen-8292.jpg 

Thunder58

Had a great time at the Springs this last weekend. Came in through the South and in parts it was like a highway!!! SO nice. Helped a guy with a flat tire. Still rocky in places but sooooo much better and most of the washboard is gone. They are almost to Bat Rd
DVExile

Graders have almost made it to the Salt Tram as of today (from the direction of South Pass).  Smooth as glass from the bottom of Grapevine to there - for the moment.  Between Salt Tram and Bat Rock it is pretty heavy washboard.  In general at an appropriate speed a low rider could make it in via South Pass at the moment.
Kevin Mokracek

South pass is being graded and they are working from the top down.  So far they are almost to the Lippencot road.  From Lippencot to the Patrick road it is very rough, typical compared to the North Pass.   I went in the South two days ago and went out the North.  The North is in very good shape.  
Terawanderer

What are you driving ??    The route  is fine for any 4X4 with some good clearance  in high range 4X4.  I did it in one hour forty five minutes on Friday and sunday.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.