Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 5      1   2   3   4   Next   »
peneumbra

The stranger the woman, the better the traction...

("Chains required, whips optional")
PahrumpGeorge

J. Bill: You are a sick puppy and seriously in need of professional help. I was referring to tire chains, not your bedroom chains.
P. Geo.
fheiser

Getting stuck in the pass...

Good idea to be prepared to spend a very cold night there. Can't guarentee another rig will be along to take you out. Can't guarentee it won't then get stuck. And you may also be wet from all the exertion of trying to dig your rig out. 

I bring a SPOT communicator to let my wife know what is happening because there's no cell service in most of the places I go.

IIRC it is about 6 miles from the highest point on the pass to hwy. 190. Not a pleasant hike in poor weather. Chains are your friends! So are 4WD, a high clearance, and big tread. And a touch of respect for mother nature.
Just Bill

P. Geo. Hey I kinda like high adventure! I don’t take risks and havent had a strange woman put on my chains for over 32 years! ( at the top) From judging the weather days before I left I felt extremely comfy of not 4x4 or chains on my rig. I don’t have the TILTEN HILTON on my truck bed either!
Thanks for advice from one of WISDOM, I’ll take your consideration!s! Thanks and Happy Soaks to you !
PahrumpGeorge

J. Bill: As long as you have been going into the valley, I am surprised you don't lock your hubs as soon as you begin to encounter snow and ice, and go into 4wd as a preventive measure. The chains should go on before you get stuck, rather than after. Just having a set or two of chains is not enough, they need to be heavy duty, not cables/light or medium duty; those will just get you stuck in a bad situation. Still not enough, an absolute necessity is a substantial chain repair kit and know how to use it. Remember the "Donner Party" As always, a desirable asset is to bring along a good woman that knows how to put chains on.

This time of year, 2wd vehicles, even with chains, should only attempt to enter the valley if they are an experienced snow/ice driver and/or part of a caravan. As they advise in aviation, when it looks bad ahead, make a 180 deg. turn and get the hell out of there.

Some previous posts mentioned that North Pass was closed, but did not say closed to what.
Morgandonor's post above, said he had to tow a 2wd vehicle out N. Pass a few days ago. Looks like N. Pass was only closed to those who should not be there in the first place.

A lot of people have been able to go into the valley with almost any vehicle over the past year or so. Many of these people are newbys or inexperienced off-highway drivers and may attempt to enter the valley totally unprepared this winter. We will find more people stuck in the passes; hope nobody gets hurt

Happy soaks.
P. Geo. 

Macfly

Think I'll wait for the snows to melt!

The idea of having both snow and ice on some of those high drop off sections around the pass isn't appealing at all!

Since we're in an El Nino year I'm guessing it'll mean a lot more snow and ice coming in the Jan-March months too.
Just Bill

Left the Valley December 11th........in a hefty 4x4 truck....out south pass, just ahead of pooper scooper rig.....LUCKY MOVE! Near top section running in 2x lost traction and had to get out and lock hubs ( older rig). When opening the door , truck starts to slide backward.......heart skipped a beat.....of course berms to probably stop rig before going into a bad situation over the edge. Holding onto the truck as not to slip and having another situation go not the way I’d like.....got around to lock hubs........truck grabbed and got of SHADY ICE area.........What I’m imparting as a 4 decade ENJOYER of the Valley.........ALL......including NEWBIES .....NEED TO BE FORTHRIGHT as to your road situation and be prepared.......another rig going in with you and/ or chains! Had 4 tire chains ( 2 sets) in the back if needed and have been in the past.......Don’t depend on others or Miller’s.......SAFE TRAVELS!
Bkellz
I called miller towing and they said they had it removed today. So it should be gone unless the guy I spoke to was misinformed but he insisted they towed it out
morgandonor
I was planning to exit south pass yesterday but had first hand reports that the poop truck was still stuck and was blocking the entire road. Exited north pass instead but had to tow a 2wd van up the icy incline.
tonapah tom

has anyone made it thru the norty pass yet ________________________________________
bobhuckaby

at least we know the toilets got pumped
flatlanders pay attention!! death valley truck didn't expect to have chains needed
that's why I carry 4-wheel chains for my 4wd truck
bob from tahoe
sierramtnman

Oh s... hope they don’t need a D6. This could take a while. North Pass is a thousand feet higher, and it is closed. You’d think it has any snow?
Hope those stuck in the Springs have plenty of ramen and and oatmeal. I wish I was stuck in the Springs.
tonapah tom

any snow on niorth pass???
Sam D.

Miller scouted today. Will remove tomorrow per facebook.
James Sel

well down to 2 rds fer now
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution