Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 13      1   2   3   4   Next   »
Mt4Camus

Came in South Pass 17-Apr.  A bit bumpy, but no major issues.  Like always, take it slow.
mlmorrison

I am in Bishop--storm is supposed to pass more to north with forecast in Lone Pine and Ridgecrest pretty light; fairly warm storm. Cold is supposed to drop in Saturday night.
wildpaths

Hi.  I was planning on heading in on Saturday morning (April 8).  I am wondering if the coming storm (due Friday night) is expected to impact conditions in South Pass.  I am mostly concerned about snow/ice making road conditions difficult, or about meltwater/rain causing washouts or unpassable washes.

Can you recommend any resources for monitoring weather conditions that might affect the pass?

Vehicles will be two dual sport motorcycles and a Subaru Outback.  I have never driven this road before.

Thanks!
encore889

I was driving in on the pass as the injured bike rider was being driven out. 

As I drove out on the 2nd, I almost collided with 2 vehicles that were going way too fast driving in.  The first a jeep wrangler, around a corner near the salt flats.  And another jeep a bit later on.  Seriously slow down!  I know if you go a bit faster on the washboards it feels smoother, but at least slow down for the corners.  It's not a sanctioned rally race people! 

Washboards are really bad right now.  Super bumpy.

A young man on a motorcycle inbound to South Pass on Friday collided with an outbound vehicle, mildly injuring the bike rider, and requiring he be transported to Panamint Springs, along with his bike, so his injuries could be tended to.  
Just another warning to all, to be cautious and careful on these narrow back country roads.
Smiffy1892

Travelled south pass Sunday 26th March - no major obstacles but the washboard is as bad as anything I've driven in the past 5/6 years or so....just my experience....
Flipper

Traveled the south pass on Wednesday the 15th. No snow or large boulders. The road is rough with rocks and lot's of washboard but no serious problems. 
dautremont

Washboard roads are usually not from the grading equipment.  Any speed over about 5mph will cause eventual washboarding, especially with heavier vehicles and larger tires. 

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2007/aug/20/physicists-hit-the-rippled-road

To reduce the washboard, vehicles would have to travel somewhat below the threshold of 5mph, for the entire 40-50 mile dirt road length - about 8-10 hours or more travel time, one way!
RC Pilot Jim

Went out Sat the 17th. There has been no recent comments because the road and pass are as good as before the rain. Well except for the horrible washboard on the section between the Tram and where the road turns to climb the hill...well maybe a little further than that. 

Anyway as I was driving across the "berm" shoulder at about 8:30am going south and looking over at the washboard and noticed the pattern was consistent bank to bank and wondered if the county grader had "tank tracks" not tires?? That might account for its severity.

Pop up camper on Tacoma 4WD aired down to 28 pounds. Time 2.5 hours to the summit. 3 hours to pavement. average speed 14.5 mph. Now that North is open going to go that way in the future.
yubert

Looks like someone removed the boulder. I went out on South Pass last night, 3/7/2017, it was dark but I didn't see the boulder.  
jeepdays

OK I used 2WD and never lost traction or had my tires spin, i.e. the road was not "extra torn up" by me, nor was it necessary to waste fuel using 4x4. The road was in fine condition.
Terawanderer

Just came out the pass today.  No snow or mud at all.  The boulder is just north of the Hunter Mt turnoff and shouldn't be a problem for anyone.  It is the biggest rock I have seen fall onto the road in a long time.  Only 15 vehicles at the springs this weekend....
Dusty Trails

X3 on 2wd making the washboard worse.  Do everyone a favor and use the 4x4 if possible.  It is better for the road and the vehicle.
Salt Peter

New signage is gonna be put up in South Pass
[s-l1600]
Salt Peter

I agree on the use of 4WD even when conditions allow for 2WD use.
Hoping to make it out in a couple weeks.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!