Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 15      1   2   3   4   Next   »
Bandana

Looks like both options are looking pretty sweet right now. I'll vibe it out after some breakfast at the Alabama Hills Cafe. Thanks everyone!
DVExile

Definitely do south pass from LA. It is in excellent condition right now. Don't waste your time going up to Big Pine.
fheiser

The metro would not be a bad choice. I've got a 1995 Suzuki Sidekick with 2 inch lifts and larger tires and it goes almost anywhere.
Bandana

1996 Geo Metro... No just kidding, stock Jeep renegade trailhawk 4x4. I’ve driven this through Cottonwood Canyon and Panamint Dunes and am comfortable on back country roads. Did Lippincott in a Wrangler though. Thanks!!
Terawanderer

What are you driving Bandana ??  It makes a huge difference.
Salt Peter

Time to try out North Pass then. Fuel at Fort Independence and go from there. If you have a spare fuel can fill it too. Most likely won't need it but better safe than sorry.
Bandana

Just came across this awesome forum and thank you all for the great info and contributions! 

I'm headed up to the springs this weekend from LA and debating between coming in via North Pass or South Pass. Seeing that there has been some recent grading going on, which would be quicker?

I've done the South Pass/Race Track/Lippincott loop a few years back, but have never been north of Lippincott. Just wondering if the additional drive time up to Big Pine would still offer any overall time savings.

Thanks!
bobhuckaby

Passes are dry and clear now with no precip in the one-week picture
I track the reports daily to see trends, now thinking ahead to Christmas week
I left the chains home for Thanksgiving but will have them on board for Christmas regardless
bob from tahoe
Sam D.

This weather link should give you an idea if the passes will get snow: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=vef&smap=1&textField1=36.817083333333&textField2=-117.76875#.Wi4N1p-IbgD

I usually average out Bishop, Olancha and Furnace Creek. As with any weather forecast, take it for what it is. Weather can change suddenly so be prepared supplies wise to stay longer than you anticipated.

I've seen lots of small dogs at the springs. Keep yours leashed, near you and do not let it chase coyotes.
Macfly

I'm planning to try to make my first run to the springs in a weeks time. I have an older 4x4 truck, lifted etc, do you think I'll need chains?

Also planning to take my small dog, are the coyotes bad out there?
DVExile

Graders have almost made it to the Salt Tram as of today (from the direction of South Pass).  Smooth as glass from the bottom of Grapevine to there - for the moment.  Between Salt Tram and Bat Rock it is pretty heavy washboard.  In general at an appropriate speed a low rider could make it in via South Pass at the moment.
fheiser

Aside from a bit of bumpiness, am I right to assume an AWD crossover could make it?
Kevin Mokracek

South pass is being graded and they are working from the top down.  So far they are almost to the Lippencot road.  From Lippencot to the Patrick road it is very rough, typical compared to the North Pass.   I went in the South two days ago and went out the North.  The North is in very good shape.  
Thunder58

@Billtal When you say South Pass is in good shape do you mean smooth or still washboard just no rock slides or washouts?
billtal

We dropped down Lippincott and came out South Pass on Saturday after Thanksgiving.  South Pass is in good shape.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!