Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 14      1   2   3   4   Next   »
Sam D.

Seemed heavy at times. I hope the pass is not washed out.
Salt Peter

Light or heavy rain?
Sam D.

Rained today as I exited S. Pass around 1:30pm. The rain chased me all the way to Olancha.
CanyonHiker

Came in South yesterday, Oct 1.  Based on twelve years of coming here I would classify it as normal to good between the highway and the pass.  Normal to a bit rough from the pass to the junction with Bad Road.  Bat Road itself, normal.   No road issues worth mentioning.  Any reasonably high clearance vehicle with good tires should be fine.

There were a grand total of six campers at Lower last night.  Four vehicles.

Terawanderer

Went out South Pass today.......usual condition with washboards .....any high clearance vehicle with 4X4 no problem.  Saturday was a beautiful day......lots of stars at night and only  9 vehicles total....lots of private soaking.....
Yonderman

Hi Sam - Im heading down there via South Pass on Thursday morning next week. 
Yonderman
Sam D.

The forecast still has rains:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=vef&smap=1&textField1=36.817083333333&textField2=-117.76875#.WazvsRllDqD

When are you going?
Yonderman

Thanks for the reply Sam D. Now it is Sept, and I havent been aware of any big storms since I've been over in CA/NZ (since Aug 16). I am assuming no news is good news at this stage.
Cheers
Yonderman
Sam D.

I think it's a bit early to inquire for Sept visit. 
Often roads get washed out late in Aug.
I've heard from somebody that S. Pass was passable 2 weeks ago. The guy spent $40K to upgrade his rig so I never liked his "the road was easy" reports ;-)
By the way he mentioned some plastic handle melting on his gear.

James Sel

Don't worry its still not paved. Have fun.
Yonderman

Greetings - anyone been in the South Pass lately? If so, how were the road conditions? Im going in in Sept. 
Thanks
Yonderman
Mt4Camus

Came in South Pass 17-Apr.  A bit bumpy, but no major issues.  Like always, take it slow.
mlmorrison

I am in Bishop--storm is supposed to pass more to north with forecast in Lone Pine and Ridgecrest pretty light; fairly warm storm. Cold is supposed to drop in Saturday night.
wildpaths

Hi.  I was planning on heading in on Saturday morning (April 8).  I am wondering if the coming storm (due Friday night) is expected to impact conditions in South Pass.  I am mostly concerned about snow/ice making road conditions difficult, or about meltwater/rain causing washouts or unpassable washes.

Can you recommend any resources for monitoring weather conditions that might affect the pass?

Vehicles will be two dual sport motorcycles and a Subaru Outback.  I have never driven this road before.

Thanks!
encore889

I was driving in on the pass as the injured bike rider was being driven out. 

As I drove out on the 2nd, I almost collided with 2 vehicles that were going way too fast driving in.  The first a jeep wrangler, around a corner near the salt flats.  And another jeep a bit later on.  Seriously slow down!  I know if you go a bit faster on the washboards it feels smoother, but at least slow down for the corners.  It's not a sanctioned rally race people! 

Washboards are really bad right now.  Super bumpy.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!