Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 8      1   2   3   4   Next   »
johnh

My apologies, not sure what happened here. I wrote a new post about what we actually did. Somehow my old post from a week ago got reposted. fwiw, what I intended to write, was that in the event we took Hidden Valley/Hunter Mountain, with absolutely no problems whatsoever (the worst road was actually down from the junction at the top of South Pass). Apparently the South Pass/Lippincott road was blocked somewhere for at least part of the weekend by a breakdown anyway.

Apologies again and thanks for everyone's help. This was our first experience of Jeep trails in DV and it was awesome - we'll be back.
Unregistered
John please read what people have said befor u repost
johnh

We were planning on doing the loop Ubehebe - Racetrack - Lippincott - South Pass on Saturday (in a Farrabee Jeep). Yesterday the Park Service showed South Pass as "badly damaged", today they show it as "badly damaged, blocked by a rock fall". Anyone have up-to-date info on the state of things? Did the fall actually happen on Wednesday or is it just that the Park Service has decided it's significant enough to add to the bulletin?

Many thanks in advance for any information.
XPBC

I'm going in to Palm Spring on Sunday Oct. 7.  Fully equiped Rubi 4" long arm, Kevlar tires ect. and I'm going around to North Pass.  Been going around since my last So. Pass trip with Vito Prez Day 2012.  It took forever that trip and sounds much worse now.  Besides going alone I just wanna get there and soak not do it just cause I can.
James Sel

They sent Ranger Brenner. A group of us had dinner with him at PSR Sat night. He explained the Inyo county put a new road closed sign in "with a pole" and that when the county does that they have no intention of opening it back up soon or grading it. I figured from that and the reports the entire mountain had collapsed onto the road. I just figure I'd take a few pics to start talk of a work party. But when I went down there I was felt that I could make it across the mess but to be safe I did some work.........hence my above report, That's what has happened this week from my perspective.
 From the Parks point of view they have to protect people and have a responsibility to closed questionable roads.  Please don't take this personal cause it a preconceived Idea but ..... Many of the off roaders around here talk smack about people thinking that they can rent a jeep do a trail and stay out of trouble. I read stories and hear them around the camp fore all the time about inexperienced people getting into trouble all the time out in the desert. So the park isn't trying to report road conditions in a manner that protects people from themselves. I hope this helps explain the variance in the reports. John if you do the trip please help remove more of the boulders from the road for the next guy.

If the air stays in Bob's tires  . Bob's rig will walk threw easily. ........I can't remember how high the tear drop is though.

johnh

Thanks for the replies. I have read the whole thread (and several others). I also called the Park Service, who said that nothing has changed, just that they sent someone to take a look and added the extra comment based on that. So if I understand correctly, suitably equipped vehicles have probably been getting through, albeit with care and difficulty. And nothing has changed since then.

Looking again at James' video, I think I'll be leaving this for another time, when the damage has been repaired. Shame, I was looking forward to the round trip, but the risk of breaking something - and hence getting stranded - looks too high.

Many thanks...
paul belanger

The morning report says "blocked by rock fall 1 mile below Grapevine Canyon".  That is the spot we have been talking about.  Read this entire thread, it will help.

James Sel

Johnh I don't think there has any changes this week. It is likely passable.  You should have a back up plan just in case and a shovel and jack. Nobody here has claimed to have made it completely through yet. But the tire tracks seem to be all connected now. .........see previous pics and vids in this thread if you haven't.  BTW welcome to the message board.
johnh

We were planning on doing the loop Ubehebe - Racetrack - Lippincott - South Pass on Saturday (in a Farrabee Jeep). Yesterday the Park Service showed South Pass as "badly damaged", today they show it as "badly damaged, blocked by a rock fall". Anyone have up-to-date info on the state of things? Did the fall actually happen on Wednesday or is it just that the Park Service has decided it's significant enough to add to the bulletin?

Many thanks in advance for any information.
James Sel

Paul I bet you did save some people from despair and a miserable trip  or even worse. We appreciate you posting the info. The road is still in really bad shape the road is not passable to everyone yet. It's rough and rocky to all.
SilverBob

Paul, I wholeheartedly agree with you on the shoveling/moving rocks thing!  That's why I built a rig to just drive over all that crap.  It does tend to shake up the beer in the cooler, though.

And don't fret about not taking pictures.  Your first post about the damage alerted several folks who were planning to blast in the South Pass for the weekend of 9/22-23.  I know, because I got the phone calls!  You may well have saved them a lot of disappointment, and maybe worse.  First hand reports are always appreciated.

paul belanger

I've shoveled dirt by hand for a living for 35 years.  I'd rather soak in a warm pool, drink the six pack, grill a steak, check out the stars.  

25 years of traveling to Saline via south pass couple times a year, never been turned around before.  No morning report ever stopped us.  We've piled rocks, shoveled rocks, taken the trailer off the truck, walked it round a big rock separately, spent hours, etc., blah blah blah.  I'm too old for that shit.

Sorry for posting low tech road reports without photos.  I was talking with people who were bringing in rented vehicles.  True off roaders will always go down there and check it out for themselves.
Salt Peter

That last video doesn't look bad at all.
James Sel

In the beginning part of this vid You can almost make out the trench along sid of the road. It is at least a foot or better beep in spots.

Oh yea; this is leaving the hairpin turn heading back up hill.
williams0130

I say we weld a blade to the front of SilverBob's blue pickup and have him run  south pass a few times to clear a path for the rest of us !!! 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution