Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 4      1   2   3   4   Next
paul belanger

James, thanks for that info. 

I am always prepared/worried about that section.  Couple times right there I put the truck in 4 low and just crawled over it sloooooowly.  Prolly didn't really NEED 4 low, but I like the grippy grip it provides, a feeling of comfort.  And dang!  If ya did get turned around there?  It would be a long way back out from that point.  

We are seriously considering this Labor Day, so any other very current input from yourself or others 'tween now and then is much appreciated.
James Sel

Paul that spot was the worst when I went in. Maybe it's getting some wear.
paul belanger

I consider the "fenced area" to start just after the salt tram station, at the end of the valley floor.  That section gets nasty sometimes as the soft hillside along with the rocks, to the left (west), at the base of the Inyos, tends to slide down onto the road.  I have had a couple hairy journeys through that section.  The Wapschau cold pool is just off the road in that area. 
Sam D.

The problem with filling crossings with rocks is that somebody might go there full speed and send those rocks into his undercarriage when the tires start spinning. I actually dumped a bunch of rocks into one of the crossings last year. But people at the springs expressed their concern so I removed all the rocks I piled into the crossing on my way back. I am not sure where the fenced area is but would definitely like to send a reconnaissance team to take detailed pictures and measurements such as the depth of the ditches and water crossings. Last season my neighbor took his beefed up FJ Cruiser and swore afterwards not to take S. Pass again. I am curious if the road situation has improved due to traffic?
James Sel

Sam the creek crossing are more than I would take my Buick over and there is a spot that looks like people will repair near the opening of the fenced area. It was pretty bad for a short stretch, but I'm pretty sure people will be stacking rocks there. Heck even likely to see more rocks added to some of the crossings.  
paul belanger

Good idea Sam.  I am planning a trip in sometime in September.  Hopefully.  If I believe the South Pass to be doable in my stock rig.  A very current road report with a fancy GoPro video would be much appreciated here. 
Sam D.

I am reincarnating this old thread to inquire whether the South Pass got any better than what SilverBob depicted in his report on page 1?
Salt Peter

I think any future road reports should be in a new thread without a specific date as the title. This way current reports will be pertinent with the date of a post.
Just a suggestion.
BC

I was there Sun/Mon (2/10-11)- it was my first time at the hot springs. UH-mazing. 
I came in the South pass and left through the North.
No snow on either roads, but the South pass is substantially more roughed up. If I was going back again tomorrow- I'd take the North pass in without a doubt. The South pass wasn't "impossible" but it was rough, with quite a few washouts that prohibited getting up to speed without fear of slamming into a washout. Quite a few drivers were complaining about grinding their grill/hitch/chassis on a few spots on the South, but my rig has some extra lift- so it wasn't a problem- just a LONG, tedious drive. 

Unless weather changes- use the North! 

JoltinJim

Ok so whos been in lately? road conditions are always described as "rough" and "the worst ive ever seen" but for the avg folk driving in its all about the snow. so snow on the passes or not? thanks JJ

SilverBob

I've got news for you!  Those people have been really confused for a looooong time, already.
trigger

The green folks are gonna be really confused now!
tronaborn

The nice thing about your Prius in the winter is that oncoming traffic could just go under you rather than backing up to a turnout to let you go by.  Particularly useful in Grapevine.
Farmer Dean

Lysdexic: don't be a fool, man, haven't learned anything here? You need at least one - better two - full size spares. FD.
Lysdexic

I'm taking South Pass in my Prius

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!