Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
pschaafs

On Friday, March 8 we exited SV via North Pass.  It had gotten a dusting of snow from the storm, but we had no problems at the top.  Clearly hasn't been graded in years, lots of washouts to crawl through.  Washboard has been worse than this, though....
Sam D.

I am getting conflicting reports. Morning report states that chains and 4x4 are needed for N. Pass.
Has anybody gone in/out in the past couple of days? Appreciate any info. I am heading in on Sat.
SilverBob

Yeah, what's miserable about it?  When we left after Presidents' Day we cruised out the north with the trailer and the road seemed to be in standard condition.  What changed?
Salt Peter

I was there a month ago and would take North Pass over South Pass. How was the North miserable?
Sam D.

miserable how? i thought North Pass was ok?
florida

North pass miserable. South can be done with care and clearance in 2wd.
Commando Paul

16-8 Misfits! Night time temps in the upper 30s/lower 40s as of Monday, maybe cooler now...
Sam D.

Thank you. Whatc's the score and night time temperature, please
Salt Peter

Yes thank you.
khalilsc

Awesome news. Thx for your post!!
XPBC

I left yesterday after the storm and there is literally no snow on North Pass roadway.  Just some patches off to the side.  It looked like South Pass got it hard though.
khalilsc

Hey folks! Were at Remington! Heading to saline today! A little nervous about recent snowfall accumulation. We were planning on going in on the N pass and are driving a full sized 4wd van w BFG All Terrain tires. We have no chains but 4wd experience been in to the springs last five years. Anyone? Thx for your tips!!!
matmiss

It snowed again 2/19 down low, probably put snow on South Pass and did put snow on North Pass because chains are required over Westgard Pass.  Probably won't last too long except in the shade.  15, 5, 58 all closed at various times, 14 and 395 a mess with wrecks.  Chains north on 395 from Bishop north.  whee!!  
matmiss

It did snow on North Pass area Friday 2/8, but weather forecast for next week+ is warming and lovely - no more storms - so likely the snow won't be an issue for much longer.  Bring chains anyway, and watch for ICE because it does refreeze every night!! 
It'll be nice during day and close to freezing at night, so bring warm stuff!!  
Salt Peter

The Sunday before Thanksgiving we were heading out and saw quite a variety of vehicles at the springs and coming in via North Pass. The Toyota Venza is what surprised me most. It was going quite fast through the lower portion of the area with coniferus trees below the switchbacks. Definitely not the right vehicle. When I went out two weeks ago there was hardly any snow on the road portion. It was easy and wouldn't have been a problem for a subie.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!