Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
Route 66

Came out North Pass today; road great except for washouts mentioned above but they are easily crossed, just slow down.
SilverBob

Have fun!  And we'll be expecting a report when you get out (Preferrably with pictures!).
coggie

Thanks Wombat...I think I'm gonna give it a shot!!
longtime

I am headed in 3/29 and out4/9. I will report my north pass experience when I get home.
Salt Peter

Holy big font batman
Wombat

Went through both in the last few days.

North Pass  is doable in a  mini van (saw one on it) with good tires and very low speeds. There are some wash outs that extend into the roadway but nothing you will fall into if you watch. These is some washboard here and there. And the usual deep  down and ups in the stream beds.

South Pass is worse but not by all that much. The areas of the big washouts are all in the canyon and have mostly been filled in by rock stackers.  If you have good tires and have a properly maintained 4X4, you will go through without trouble v(tighten your rigs so stuff doesn’t fall off). The washboard wasn’t so bad.  There are  a few little washouts toward the salt works so slow down or you will take a big jump. They have been there for years and a few more by Hunter Village  I did not notice any car parts laying around but there was one SUV with a flat, the owners apparently off to get a tire as it was gone the next day when I went through South Pass a second time.

No snow, deep mud or anything  on either.

coggie

Okay...I'm sure with Spring break that there will be an increase in traffic to the Springs.  If anyone takes South Pass I would appreciate and update.  Is it getting better/worse?  Has it been graded yet?  Ect...

Thanks
coggie

Thanks alot guys.  i appreciate your response.  I'll make up my mind when i get there.
SilverBob

Coggie,  If you really want to do South Pass, it sounds like your rig is up to the task.  I went out the south in October, and I don't think I'll do it again for a while. 

Driving up 395 and coming in the North Pass will take less time and is much easier on the vehicle and driver than negotiating the South Pass Road.  If you like the challenge, go for it.  It's not a life threatening trip, it's just not pleasant.

There's really no CB channel that anyone monitors.  If you have a ham license, some of us monitor 146.520 simplex, and I can reach the Mazourka Peak repeater (146.760- no PL) from most of the valley.  If none of this makes sense to you, never mind.

Good luck on your trip.

SilverBob
Salt Peter

AFAIK there is no schedule. Up to Inyo county to decide when and if they get graded. Your ride sounds fine to run South Pass. I don't blame you for not wanting to go all the way around and that 1.5hrs will even out to the time it takes on SP anyway. Enjoy!
coggie

Is there some sort of schedule for grading the roads?  I wanted to come South Pass because I'm staying in Panamint.  Going all the way to Big Pine to come North Pass will add 1.5 hours anyway.  I don't mind taking it easy, but we will be traveling alone (trying to be safe).  What do you all think about South Pass?  I have a 1978 CJ5 with 4" lift, 33" mud terrains, ARB lockers front and rear.  Also, is there a CB radio channel people run on in the area?  Thanks.
saddlerider

Thanks for the detailed information on road conditions.  It REALLY does help--not getting in or out, but it does--ease the mind!
Sam D.

My neighbor just came in. He was a part of some sort of a Jeep club.

His rig – 2011 FJ Cruiser 4x4 with 2” custom lift, Bilstein shocks and BF Goodrich multi-ply off-road tires with extra side protection. There are some custom made removable protective plates for the undercarriage.

The group of 9 vehicles went in via N. Pass and went out via S. Pass.

N. Pass – got slightly more washboard since Thanksgiving but the washouts got slightly better due to traffic. The group took 2 hrs to get to Saline. They decided to travel separately as the road was a piece of cake for the offroad enthusiasts.They did not stay long and left before 2 PM not to drive in the dark.

S. Pass – per my neighbor, he’s not going to take S. Pass again until it’s graded.  One vehicle in the group lost power due to the washboard and had to be rewired. Another one lost some sort of a hose and the group had to do hillbilly engineering to get it going. A third vehicle had a rock lodged into suspension and had to be rescued as well. Once on pavement, my neighbor noticed a sizable sidewall cut and replaced the tire just in case.  Total time to get to the pavement – 6 hrs. Total driving time – 4 hrs. There are reported 3 V-shaped washouts that require higher clearance and 4x4. He mentioned broken plastic bumper parts laying near the washouts. There were other numerous washouts that were OK for all off-roaders in the group.  He also noticed numerous scrapes to his undercarriage panels indicating that his custom lift was not high enough. To be fair, I have to mention that my neighbor drives pretty fast and I bet the number of breakdowns can be attributed to higher speeds and over-reliance on the off-road tires.

I myself came back last Tuesday. I took N. Pass in and out, drove very slowly and was fine in a 2013 Toyota 4Runner 2WD. It took me 2hr 45 min to get in and 3 hrs 10 min to get out.

mmacasi

I am heading up on Friday and wanted to know which route would be the best to take. i was thinking south pass? any suggestions?

what about the the road to eureka dunes?

coggie

Has anyone been going in/out via the south pass?...I'm coming down on 4/3 and want to head in from Panamint Springs via south pass. Thanks.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!