Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
mlmorrison

No, not in April. But let me know how your trip goes. Probably best from the east side this time of year anyway what with snow and such. Cheers.
Dusty.rambler

Mimorrison, thanks for the reply!

Ideally, we would like to go to Beveridge from the west side, but our time frame is not the best for an Inyo summit. The Snowflake route will be rough with the elevation gain, but it looks like the best option for the second week of April. I'd love to hear more about the bat research.... sound like great pool talk. Any chance you will be in the valley anytime in the first two weeks of April? Great picture also! Can't wait for that view!
mlmorrison

I hiked to the Keynot Mine (and Beverage Cabin of course) last winter (Dec 2015); I study bats and was surveying for hibernating bats in the old mines. I went via Snowflake. I assume you know the road is long gone up to the mine where the trail begins--no possibility of driving. The trail up to the ridge from the Snowflake Mine can be followed but is gone in places. It gets more evident once you are higher up and the trail down to Beverage is pretty obvious. I imagine you'll run into snow but probably patchy and high elevation. All that said, I would not go that way into Beverage because you start so low elevation now (~1500'). The west side routes save you elevation gain. I plan to go into Beverage later this spring. We will try to make it up either the Swansea Road or across from Cerro Gordo over to where the road ends just south of NY Butte; then on over and down to Beverage. The other option is Forgotten Pass; cannot drive to the trailhead easily any longer as far as I know (we plan to scout out all those routes shortly). I attached a pic from Dec 2016 of where I camped (about 7500') having hiked from valley floor that day; looking down towards ridge above Snowflake. Trail from my camp spot continues across slope and then down to Beveridge. Keynot_Dec2016.jpg
Dusty.rambler

Greetings! I have been monitoring this site for years, but this is my first post. I'm planning a backpack up to Beveridge the 2nd weekend if April, and I'm wondering what the snow level of the east side of the Inyos is looking like.

Recent pictures would be awesome!

I'm also aware of the challenge of this hike. I know it will be one of the toughest hikes I've ever done (very experienced backpacker). Considering a loop from Snowflake > Beveridge > Bighorn Spring > Warm Springs (by vehicle). Or just in and out via Snowflake.

All input is appreciated! (And pictures!)

-dusty
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!