Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
williams0130

Hey XPBC ,How was the week at the springs ?Just wanted to know if them snakes was as thick as when we was all there ?That week had to be some kind of a record for finding snakes .And the weather not to hot ? How the hell did your lady get another week off ?And "fleetfoot "did you make up that name for him ? 

FleetFoot

I've never seen a grown man jump the way XPBC did. haha
A Cabin Dweller

Hey John that's a cool site. Didn't think there was shuck a school.

Just got home from ten days in DV eight at Upper Springs.  Yes the Rattlesnakes are out loud and clear!  From last Monday till yesterday ten Rattlesnakes were relocated away from around the Wizzard and Volcano pools.  One was only about 24 inches from my left foot when Bradly yelled snake.  He happened to be holding a broom and promptly brushed it away from me while I was trying to fly from the bench I was sitting on. SCARY!!

VegasNaturist

In reference to A Cabin Dweller's post #5 above. we plan on taking our dogs (Sheperd mix and Siberian Husky) here later this spring...

http://www.vipervoidance.com/

John
Unregistered
Rattle snakes, I'll show you rattle snakes.
http://davidasteen.blogspot.com/2009/07/return-of-giant-killed-rattlesnake.html
Rick
A Cabin Dweller

Please don't harm any of the snakes that my Armageddon food. But if you want one for dinner. They are good but tough. but let me tell you I can make them taste great.
 Ever hear of a snakey Joe. They work well cause of the toughness. When meet get tough  it is because the muscles have a lot of connecting tissue Just like a Brisket that needs to be cooked 4 a long time snake should be cooked to the "falling of the Bone stage". so simply simmer it for about 2 hours remove the bones. Ok I'm getting hungry now I want to try some snake tacos, snake pot pie, BBQ shredded snake sandwich, OH snake curry over Basmati rice. ...snake fu young ... Paper wrapped snake....oh man by it's lunch time.

Train you dog not to be curios if you can. I did this to my dog and he seems to just stay back. ............when I liked in Rosamond I had many snakes. My neighbor had 5 boxers and 2 got bit. Rush rush to the emergency vet. the dogs survived!! the bill was $1,000.00 per dog. and the guy behind me was so lucky with his half wolf. On my land I found 1 sidewinder and 2 greens in a 5ive yr period. Luckly I had plenty of gopher snakes. Like a kid I just can't resit catching them. When Bubba was young I would catch them and chase him with them. He seems not to be interested in these fascinating criders now. I hope I'm right cause I still worry. FYI by the way snakes stink (musk) especially when excited.
 I grew up in R/C kids were taught abut this stuff every where but bible school. (Their just the devil to them.) But in the post above I learned some thing that I hadn't heard before.
Step 7even...If the victim has to walk out, sit calmly for 20-30 minutes to let the venom localize at the site, proceed calmly to the nearest source of help and try to avoid unnecessary exertion that will stimulate circulation of the poison. I would have calmly got the hell out of there.
 Thax 4 the Q:

SNAKEBITES IN HUMANS

A rattlesnake bite is a serious event, but by staying calm, following good procedures and using common sense, it doesn't have to be a fatal event. In fact, Rattlesnake bites are generally not fatal. The signs and symptoms of poisoning often take several hours to develop. Reliable antivenins are available at virtually all medical facilities and proper prehospital care can lessen the toxicity of the event and resulting tissue damage.

There have been many snake bite remedies offered over the years. Recent studies have concluded that the following protocols are best: (Note 1)

1. Stay calm, get safely away from the snake, and have someone call 9-1-1 (or the emergency number in your area). The less the victim moves the bitten site, the less likely the venom will be profused and cause damage.

2. Have the victim lie down with the affected limb lower than the heart. Keep the limb immobilized. If practical, splint the limb.

3. Treat for shock and preserve body heat.

4. Remove any rings, bracelets, boots, or other restricting items from the bitten extremity. (It WILL swell.)

5. Apply a light constricting band about 2" above and below the bite, however never place the bands on either side of a joint (such as above and below the knee or elbow). This band should be made up of wide, soft material, that could be a handkerchief or shredded clothing. The band should only be as tight as the band the nurse applies when giving a blood test.

• NOTE: The purpose of constricting bands is to restrict lymphatic flow, not blood, so they should not be too tight. Check pulses below the bands and readjust them as necessary when they tighten due to swelling.

6. Wash the bite with soap and water (if available).

7. If the victim has to walk out, sit calmly for 20-30 minutes to let the venom localize at the site, proceed calmly to the nearest source of help and try to avoid unnecessary exertion that will stimulate circulation of the poison.

8. Get the victim to definitive medical care for antivenin, that will provide the greatest relief from the toxic effects of the bite.

Expect rattlesnakes in the desert at any time, all the time except in the coldest part of the winter.  Look where you step when you crawl out of the tent or sleeping bag. Critters are part of the natural world. Know that you will coexist with them whenever you leave the urban world.

bgibgi

There was a small rattler in the ladies restroom today. I am not sure how it got there or what its intentions were.
A couple of swiss visitors from oncearoundtheworld.com used a broom to get it out of the restroom. It crawled into an attack pose outside the restroom where I saw it last.
Watch out where you park you feet or your behind  - rattlers are most dangerous on the spring.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution