Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Major Tom

The panamint speckled rattlesnakes and gopher snakes (as well as red racers) have coexisted at the springs for years. King snakes would keep the rattlers away, but of course that would be messing with the ecosystem out there, and thats not cool anymore.

Scorpions? Sure! They look really cool under black light too. The springs variety isnt poisonous at all (having been stung a few times).
rickandurs

Stock photo : Rattlesnake Warning Sign
How about just a simple warning sign and drop the snake issue, it is their home, heay, may keep the charter bus out of the area.
It is usually always warm in the Saline.

Some one want to get a sign or two for the springs, no such thing as rattle snake repellent it repells all reptiles, guess you like flies, lizards are reptiles, lizards eat flies, I am sure Lizard Lee accidently ate a few.

deserticus explorum

sorry, i have to disagree. other snakes as well as gopher snakes can sometimes be found wintering in rattlesnake dens. unless it's a kingsnake the rattler is more or less indifferent. competition for food is another story since they both eat rodents though, but just having gophersnakes will not keep rattlers away. i often find gopher and rattlers in the same areas when i catch them.
 how do i know this? well, in the other room i have a gopher snake, western rattler (crotalus viridis oreganus) -subspecies-, black and california kingsnakes, and 2 sidewinders.
 cute and fluffy? you should see the cal kingsnake i have. he is always in feeding frenzy mode (unless shedding or hibernating) and will take a bite out of anything that moves by his cage, even someones hand. you're welcome to come over anytime and put your hand in his cage lol. you won't think he's so cute and fluffy then i bet. he took a bite of my ex-girlfirends hand when she brought him to me (rescue snake) and would not let go. i think he was trying to eat her finger cause i had to open his mouth and remove him from her finger!!!!lol
 i'll say it again, i think we are missing the point when we just want to make a place "safe for humans" kill the spirit of the wild and you will surely kill the saline valley. why is this so hard for people to understand? i'll have to ask lee what he thinks about ridding the springs of all the rattlesnakes next time i'm out there beyond the wall of syphilization.....

Sam D.

Planting some king snakes at the other hot springs I visit really took care of the rattlers there. Are king snakes native to DV? If so, it might not be a bad idea. They can still hunt for rodents, just will not be dangerous for humans.
A Cabin Dweller

No I meant Gopher Snakes they are not immune to the rattlers bite but they are more aggressive than the rattler. If you kick a rattler out of his home and let a gopher snake move in. Rattlers are not likely to be aggressive enough to kick out the gopher snake competition  for food is a factor too; that's just the way of the west.
 As far as King snakes and Cal King snakes go. I didn't suggest them cause the are more rare and often go home with people whom think they are cute & fluffy. 

boy, for a bunch of desert rats everyone sure seems to not like snakes much!  a desert without snakes is like a desert without sun. perhaps we should let the park service make it safer for everyone by requiring snake boots at all times. (even in the pools!) and snake repellant??? are you kidding me??? lol 
 rattlesnakes don't dislike gopher snakes either. i think you mean king snakes since kingsnakes eat rattlers from time to time.  rattlers are also found throughout the valley not just by the springs because of rodents attracted by humans. furthur, there is no "snake issue" at the springs, but it could possibly be used as a way to keep so many people from coming. hmmm......
 have any of my fellow soakers noticed the scorpions at the springs? last year i had my backpack sitting on one of the stone benches by the sunrise pool. it was after dark when scorpions are most active. i picked up my pack and looked at it with my flashlight, and on the pad where my back goes was a bark scorpion. bark scorpions are some of the most toxic scorpions in north america. anyway, i gently brushed him off back onto the bench where he was before i so rudely disturbed him after showing my wife. lol
 has anyone seen those huge sun spiders? if you don't know what i'm talking about google it. last year my wife woke up to a huge one sitting on her chest when we woke up in the morning. LOL we slept on the picnic table at eureka dunes to get off the ground for a change but i guess it didn't help much! not only do they get really big, they have fangs like a tarantula! and you think spiders are fast??? why do you think they also call em wind spiders, it's cause they move like the wind.
 then of course there are the tarantulas, black widdows, and giant wolf spiders. the coyotes that steal some poor fool's food because they left out the ice chest (i've seen it happen to someone there lol) leaving only the vegetables LOL! i've also heard the burros will do the same. also, those odd human eating beetles that come out of the dunes at night. the wind storms, 110*+ temps, rabid bats that drink from the pools, bad roads, rockfalls, and dangerous side canyons of the great inyos.
 it's all of these things that make the saline valley just one such a special place to me. there is still wild in it's wilderness. if there wasn't it wouldn't be worth going to anymore.
 what i fear the most is the guy or girl that shows up with their screaming kids, jumping into the pools and running amok around the springs. (where are all of those snakes when you really need them?) that the park service will build a visitor center and pave the road so the tour buses can come in. or that someday all of those burning man types will descend upon the springs all at once!!! 
 -enjoy the rattlers while you still can.........

A Cabin Dweller

I think the wrong snakes are being relocated. If a rattler can be relocated away from the spring to a different part of the park. Then Gopher snakes should be relocated to the springs. Rattlers and gopher snakes don't like each other much and the rattlers prefer to avoid them. I don't mean to imply this would make the springs rattler free just managed better. ....and as for eating a gopher snake I'm just not interested BBQ or not.

Eating snakes is ok with me, But I think the Park service may object...
Relocating snakes to similar area might work, remember they are there for the food source, so keep your camp clean might help keep mice and snakes away.....Dusty

I just wish they ate fly's also...
Sam D.

I am all for instituting the Whacking Day like in the Homer Simpson's TV series.

Watch entire episode here:
http://www.watchcartoononline.com/the-simpsons-episode-420-whacking-day

But many folks will object, so I will respect their desires. So we'll have to relocate the snakes away from the springs even though I want to relocate them into another dimension [mad]

A Cabin Dweller

Or put them in a dutch oven with BBQ sauce....low in fat high in protein

This may be a solution to the snake issue, maybe get some out to Lee.
Kind of expensive:
http://www.serpentguard.com/?gclid=CLj_gJWKqakCFQcBbAod_j4IKw
Or we could hire these folks up (just kidding):
http://www.rattlesnakeroundup.net/
Ranger Rick
deserticus explorum

seems as if you aren't looking for them thats when they show up. my wife and i caught 3 over memorial day. all were panamint speckled rattlesnakes. all 3 were found in craig canyon. there are at least 2 speckled rattlers that make their home in pat keys canyon as well. that one by the lower spring may be one of the ones thats been hanging out there for several years now. my wife seems to be a rattlesnake magnet and thats probrably why i married her since i've been catching snakes and lizards in that valley for 20+ years now. (the springs have always just been more of a bonus and not a focal point for myself) 
 as far as rattlers go, the speckled rattlers are quite docile and uninclined to bite unless they really feel threatened. venom toxicity is not very potent either and would be unlikely to kill a healthy adult. for anyone concerned sawyer makes an "extractor" for snake bites (they use them at some of those awful roundups in texas) but it's probably not very useful unless applied to the bite within a few minutes after envenomation since the venom will disperse and can't be removed once it does.
 finally, please don't harm any rattlers as they are my friends and they do all they can to stay out of the way. they even try to warn anyone who gets too close by rattling (usually but not always)
 by the way sam d., were you the guy we helped get your car off of the sand on the side of the road? you gave us a couple of beers, and you were on your way up to the springs (it was on tuesday may 31st) and we were headed out north pass.          
SunMan

Too close for comfort... glad it turned out in your favor. Whew.
Sam D.

Barely escaped serious complications as the snake gave me a "dry" bite injecting almost no poison. I did not feel the symptoms for almost 4 hrs. Then the numbness occurred followed by swelling and muscle pain. The snake was in the vicinity of the shower at the lower springs in the bushes.  I jumped as soon as I heard the rattling so for a while I was not sure whether the marks on my toe were from hitting a rock or a bite. Be careful where you land your feet ;-)
XPBC

all last week and not one snake that I'm aware of.  Peggy is now officially retired is how she got another week off.  Our trips to the springs and must go to parties coinsided with her work schedule.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution