Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
paul belanger

Fair enough, Peter. Likely not recommended. But not as wild a notion as attempting the Lippencott in a minivan. Maybe this person should access The Racetrack from the Ubehebe Crater side. Although there could be some washboard up there also? To be on the safe side, I'll stay on the record as saying a minivan should stay on pavement, or a very nicely graded road.

(Not sure OP is even paying attention anymore.)

Salt Peter

Isn't there areas of deep and/or powdery sand in Hidden Valley? That and any washboard are factors I would hope no one trys in a minivan...unless it is a VW Syncro.
paul belanger

I believe the original poster was talking about driving from Panamint Springs to The Racetrack via Saline Valley Road and Hidden Valley Road. Through Hunter Mountain, not the Lippencott Mine Road. Might that not be doable in a minivan in good conditions?

Or did I get it wrong?
bobhuckaby

the 3 girls in the prius camped by the double pooper, then ate bananas and peanut butter for breakfast, though I offered them steak kabobs -- it takes all kinds
Bob from Tahoe
SilverBob

I'll never understand why some people do the things they do!
SoCalSteve

I think the minivan belonged to one of the fellas playing guitar at the firering by Crystal pool shortly after the softball game on Sunday.  IIRC it could have been Mike from So Cal.  
Not sure if I got the name right, but I spoke to him and he told me they broke the front end bad, and that mini van had a bad broke front end when I saw it on the flatbed.  
We also saw the Prius leaving.  That car will never be the same...or it took a hecka long time to get out.  
florida

Perhaps that was the mini van seen on Millers flatbed leaving the valley this weekend!
Driver

Well, in 1956 it was a nice gravel 2WD road (I took a family sedan down it then) but by 1961 the mines had closed and it was very much the rough, very narrow, high clearance 4WD, cliff-side road it is today.
SilverBob

It's hard to tell whether you're being serious or not, but here's the short answer.

The road between the valley floor and the Racetrack is called the Lippincott Mine Road.  Just Google that name and you'll see that it is not, and never has been "just a gravel road but passable".  The Park Service maps list it as a rough 4WD road.  They make those maps for a reason.

Here's an interesting story about the last guy who tried to travel that road in a vehicle that wasn't suited for it.
http://davidsworld.org/2013/06/27/stranded-in-death-valley-part-i-of-iii/

The trip you're proposing is a beautiful drive, but you need to do a lot of homework before you dive into it!

tourist1

I am coming to Death Valley in April.  I am staying at Panamint Springs Resort before entering Death Valley.  I would like to go to Racetrack Playa, then to Ubehebe Crater, on Scotty's Castle and then spend the night at Stovepipe Wells Village.  I have a mini-van and I currently am planning on using Saline Valley Road to get to Racetrack Playa.  I am assuming that is a gravel road but passable.  Is that right?  

Has anyone taken this route in a normal car?  How long should I plan for?  Any other thoughts? 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!