Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
Salt Peter

One and the same.
James Sel

Haiwee has a what? Is it anything like the one at Coso?
Sparky of SoCal

Somebody sitting around a fire says "I wonder if we can use this geothermal stuff for anything" It has now been said on the internet and now part of history.
Salt Peter

LOL the NPS is not the godsend you think it is. You do realize the NPS could wipe out the springs should they decide to do so right? The springs existed long before DVNM became a park and acquired much more land, including Saline Valley.

Never heard the springs were considered for geothermal development. Owens Valley has a lot of hot spring areas with much easier access. There is the geothermal plant at Haiwee.
mike s

Some time ago the springs were considered for geothermal development. 
Route 66

Don't you people realize that having Saline Valley in the National Park protects it from those interests who would exploit it?  The Park Service can be a pain sometimes but better in Death Valley National Park than out of it. 
Salt Peter

Sparky, thank you for finding that. Very informative.
Sparky of SoCal

Another option on understanding why things were done, other than following others like sheep is to go to the horses mouth. Zenke is a straight shooter and below is what he filled with the President.
https://www.doi.gov/sites/doi.gov/files/uploads/revised_final_report.pdf

I know it is a lot of information but sure beats guessing at what went on and I did the work for you.
PahrumpGeorge

Ooops!!
You are correct;I goofed.
Thanks Bob.
Geo.
SilverBob

Sorry George,

Prior to 1994, Death Valley was a National Monument.  The Act made it a National Park at the same time that it increased in size.  
PahrumpGeorge

DVE:

Thank you for a rational post on a sub-standard thread.
You are correct, however, there is one incorrect statement.

Death Valley National Park has existed for many years; the 1994 action only increased the park size, there-by incorporating most of Saline Valley.
This action was spear-headed by Nevada's embarrassment Harry Reid along with partner-in-crime California's dandy Diane Feinstein.

Happy soaks in a National Park.

Geo.
DVExile

As amusing as the troll-bait discussion is, it is founded on false premises or at least a pretty dramatic misunderstanding of important details.

Bill Clinton didn't create Death Valley National Park.  Congress did in the 1994 California Desert Preservation Act.  Only congress can make national parks.

Trump hasn't done anything to any National *Parks* because he can't - only an act of Congress can.  He has reduced the size of two National *Monuments* which are created by the executive branch rather than the legislative branch.
Sam D.

I see the change to the outhouses and length of stay.
singletrackdog

The intent of reversing protected status is to allow commercial exploitation. I don't think a desire to shoot firearms or drive off road is the motivating issue. If somehow valuable minerals were discovered around the springs then I guess it's possible, but the first thing would be mining concessions followed by access restrictions then fencing. 

Sometimes the devil you know aint so bad.

I could finally skeet shoot from wizard pool.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.