Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
trigger

Lol!!! Leather mask and a tutu! That’s a darn fine combo right there!!
Salt Peter

Should post up a group of "masked" individuals at the turn off for Bat Rock Road as greeters.
XPBC

I'm in on the mask thing Trigger. I'll even wear my Tutu with it!
trigger

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! I’m dying laughing!!! That mask is a great idea. Guarantee you people will stop coming there if we all started doing that. Would help on the windy days in the tubs too!
Salt Peter

James that will most likely keep people out of ones camp...unless they're into that sort of thing.
[rofl]
James Sel

If you want to scare people away from the tubs go in with a black leather head mask that cover the entire head and nothing else.       . I think dressing like a scary clown might work too. Capture.png
encore889

Yeah I'll say.... The genie is def out of the bottle...  without any hesitation or restraint from people here as well!!  One girl asked for directions last year, and I see detailed directions immediately posted.  Really guys?  wtf.  might as well make it a sticky and give gps coordinates!  Guess what, I checked the girl's profile and it was a dudes email.  You old timers are all suckers for any women... so pathetic... hitting on every girl in the tubs.  I could name names, but i won't... lol....

perhaps you guys that shirtcock or donald duck can scare all the new people away... just walk up to everyone and do your thing.

Lol, right!  Seen that many a time.  Figured that was shirtcocking but that maybe Donald Ducking was the other gender maybe.
Big Jeff

The only thing the Donald ever wore was a short shirt that didn't go below his waist, so imagine you walking up to some unsuspecting family who thinks you are at least wearing a speedo and then much to their shock they see that you are "Letting it all hang out"
P3Tacco

I don't think it's anything bad that people have said that about going back to the BLM. But yes, it would probably be a bad thing.  It's likely just us old timers harkening back to the good old days when there weren't many people out there and everyone just took care of it.  It was self-governed and it functioned very well. Hell, I remember several times that our group was the only one there at Palm Spring, and that was in Spring! But with today's crowds it's a good thing that the NPS is in charge.  But NPS management isn't causing the quantity of people to go there, it's just that the genie is out of the bottle, so going back to the BLM wouldn't solve anything. I don't give a damn about people showering first though, unless they are gross (anyone remember when there were NO showers?  And would you take a shower with the wind blasting then walk to the volcano pool?). My thing is TRY to, and definitely rinse your feet.  Bring more supplies than you use, take more trash out than you brought, and clean the tubs when the time is right.  Unfortunately (just my opinion), it will eventually be 'reservation required' due to the sheer number of people going now.  I can't believe the number of new people lately on the Facebook sites, and asking every other day about road conditions when there hasn't even been any storms this year that would affect anything.

PS, what is Donald Ducking? I'm trying to visualize....
encore889

I agree with singletrackdog and route66.  I don't understand why many people think that BLM land is better than a national park.  Blm land can always be sold off by the govt to private companies for mining or commercialization.  Imagine expensive hotels and fast food at saline! Hell no!  National parks can't be touched.  John Muir and Ansel Adams worked tirelessly their whole lives to protect Yosemite and most of the sierras from commercialization.  If they did not, most of the trees would be gone to be sold as lumber.  In fact I just read an ansel adams book found in the saline library about this!  And who would want to go somewhere where the land is trashed with a bunch of rifle shells and shot up washing machines or strip mined for uranium?  Has anyone been to deep creek lately?  That used to be one of my fav places to soak, but now it's all trashed.  I pick up trash every time I go, but I don't even feel like going anymore.  There's broken glass everywhere... and a permanent slack line across the river.  [mad]

I just hope that saline stays free, but with the traffic I've seen the last 2 trips, it's getting ridiculous.  For new years I counted over 100 cars!  That means at least 200 people.  The upper toilet had a line in the morning!  (What a drag when u need to drop a deuce bad!)  bunch of newbies that jump in with their clothes on, without taking a shower or washing their feet, kids running around screaming, and about 20 dogs off leash peeing and shitting everywhere, and people driving over the rocks boundary right up to the tub! 

I thought this website was called saline preservation??!!

Cool plate and report! Thanks for posting!
SalineOldTimer

Does mike s stand for Mike the DVNP Superintendent?
mike s

Sparky of SoCal     Big campfire.  

Salt Peter  Any number of things could "wipe out" the springs as they currently are.

http://geodesy.unr.edu/cornekreemer/coolbaugh_m151plate.pdf

https://books.google.com/books?id=0p1-4_9q9hMC&pg=PT102&lpg=PT102&dq=saline+valley+geothermal&source=bl&ots=KIeK0SOeIo&sig=SEyfP0PVz587TU6NCz5bosCbigw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiz5ITQyKHYAhUQzWMKHYVkBJQQ6AEIaDAN#v=onepag

https://books.google.com/books?id=Sz1SAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA213&lpg=PA213&dq=saline+valley+geothermal&source=bl&ots=wdkFLH3AI3&sig=jGkNk0ro9XAqOEPQSEhMDkIo5bA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjl_8uryqHYAhVC9GMKHWheDKA4ChDoAQhFMAY#v=onepage&q=saline%20valley%20geothermal&f=false
Sam D.

Going back to BLM may not be the best option considering in June 2011 the BLM Cal Desert District released a set of final supplementary rules on land use in their area. Nudity is prohibited in all OHV areas, visitors centers and campgrounds with capital improvements like picnic tables and vault toilets.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.