Saline Preservation Association
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
trigger

What SilverBob is saying is a common practice and courtesy in offroading. Stacking rocks if necessary but removing them once you get through the difficult spot.
Mr.T

The two extremes are people pouring concrete at difficult spots, and washed-out generally impassable.  If it's a binary choice I'll take washed-out, but the middle ground isn't a bad place to be.  Leaving stuff more natural isn't a bad idea either.
DVExile

By that logic we should have moved all the rocks from the past floods back in the way after we pass. It’s a road, it gets improved by people who use it. Every few years Mother Nature removes many of those improvements and it all starts again. This particular road will always require high clearance, 4WD, and reasonable wheel base no matter how much rock stacking occurs.
Salt Peter

[crazy]
peneumbra

I don't see how what they do over in Darwin would really make any difference as to how it's done in Steele Pass...[smile]
Salt Peter

I don't agree. If someone wants a greater challenge they could unstack just the same. I don't think there has ever been a time when anything but a high clearance vehicle got through there. I didn't say 4x4. I know there are some 2x4 drivers that can do amazing things but without high clearance it's not wise. Let Darwin do what Darwin does.
SilverBob

Over on the Steele Pass Road Conditions page, there was some mention of rock stacking in the waterfall area.  For those who don't know, stacking rocks against the bottom of an obstacle is a common method of making the route doable for vehicles that might not have the clearance or suspension articulation to make it otherwise.  There's nothing wrong with doing it, we've all been doing it for years.  You do what you have to do in order to get through.  I totally understand that.

My only suggestion/request is that you un-stack whatever you stack after you've made it through.  There are a lot of folks, myself included, that enjoy the challenge of one of the few "unimproved" trails left in the Park.  If everyone stacks the trail to make it easier for their particular rig, it won't be long before "Camry David" will be following his GPS through there. I doubt any of us want to see that! 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.