Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
Salt Peter

I am reading all the posts. I was just there yesterday. A capable driver and his rig with 37" tires was not able to get through the snow. Friday evening there were two snowplows working 190 from the Olancha turn off to PSR. When was the last time you heard of this type of storm in the area?

Tom if they are able to get to their graders it will be great. Will they plow the road to get to them? If we get another snow storm on Thanksgiving some people may be stuck in Saline for a while. Go on out there and have a look at the conditions. If there is snow on the racetrack as reported even the top of Lippencott has snow/ice too.

[IMG_4838_zpsa3647199]

Our vehicle began plowing snow with the A-arms and undercarriage
I walked out to my knees and we came to the conclusion it wasn't happening. This is well before the summit and the road to Hunter Mountain.
[IMG_4861_zps59f19505]

[IMG_4863_zps8ec2360a]
Solar BIll

Tom
We are in Lone Pine.
thinking of heading up in about an hour. Please give us a call at 805 320 0509 or email bill@prime-solar.com. I suppose if we don't hear back you made it in! hope to see you all there.
Solar BIll

Major Tom

Salt Peter wrote: No one is getting in our out of either major pass anytime soon. My guess is either Lippencott or Steele Pass will be good to go depending on vehicle type and size.

Someone is not reading all the posts, as I have pointed out after speaking with the north pass road crew, they will be clearing the north pass beginning on Tuesday to continue work on the washout. They will also work on Wednesday, take Thanksgiving off, then resume work the following Monday. FEMA money is paying for road repair, so they have to continue working to meet their contractual deadline, which means they will keep the road clear so they can have access. Meanwhile, I am leading a small convoy into through the North Pass this morning, and an update will appear here as to the success or failure of that endeavor. Time to cowboy up!
Salt Peter

Awe man there was a guy at PSR who was talking about when he saw snow on the racetrack in the past. I'd really like to see that too. Knew we should have gone there.
Candace66

Snow ON the Racetrack!!  I want pics!!  (I can't go, I'm in northern Utah and working!)

Here's a South Pass report, posted late Saturday night by Terawanderer on DV Talk:

"I just got back from South Pass. Friday at 4pm there was 1 inch of slush on 395 just beyond Coso Junction and the chains required signs were up. A Quad cab dodge rolled with injuries or maybe worse at Fossil Falls Road. A litte further the big rigs were putting on chains. A truck also spun out and looked stuck in the center divider....2wd most likely. At the 190 turn the road was white......I made it to PSR easily but saw 2 snowplows working the route. The wind was horrible and the snow was blowing sideways. I tried South Pass this afternoon and there were no tracks. At a point just beyond Lee Flats...where the bad washout was a few years ago....the drifts were 2 feet deep and I was beginning to high center. I gave up and headed home. There is a lot of snow out there. Breakfast at PSR was great as usual."

http://www.deathvalley.com/dvtalk/messages/710546.shtml
matmiss

DV reports snow on the racetrack road after 7 miles, and snow ON the Racetrack!!
Steele Pass is an option, but only from the east - i.e. DV proper;  much snow on the high point of the Big Pine Road.  
And new storm predicted for Thanksgiving day and the next couple of days.  
Salt Peter

Friday Night:
Snow in Fossil Falls and white out conditions
Snow plows working 190 from the Olancha turn off to PSR
Chains required on Towne Pass-two guys with rooms at the Inn at Furnace Creek stuck in PSR
Wind/light rain all through the night

Saturday:
Dark skies continued
By breakfast cars coming in from Towne Pass without chains
Light drizzle here and there
Most peaks in the Panamint area covered with snow
Darwin-covered in snow
Lee Flat area covered in snow
Saline Valley Road South Pass mostly clear up to Lee Flats
Snow is knee deep just as you start to climb out of Lee Flats

No one is getting in our out of either major pass anytime soon. My guess is either Lippencott or Steele Pass will be good to go depending on vehicle type and size.
Terawanderer

To those who are watching this thread....Michael and Becca from Portland did not make it over North Pass.  They are camping at Panamint Springs Resort for a few days.  They will try South Pass in a day or so.  They tried South Pass Friday....with 37's in a lifted Ford Diesel Truck but were turned around by deep snowdrifts just past Lee Flats.
Major Tom

Update, Saturday, 2:00 p.m. Debbie Bereki and party turned around from the North Pass for now. Report is, it seems doable, with only six inches of fresh snow over the area that was plowed by the county road crew. They turned around because of a current white out, but reported the road seemed doable otherwise, and they may take another run at it tomorrow. I am packing now to leave on Sunday.
winks

Thanks Craig. For those who don't get around much, Craig has posted a more extensive trip report over at WtW.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/8131-395-dv-and-environs/
craig333

I came out Thursday. Full size rig with a pop up camper, 4wd but no lockers or skid plates. Willow creek was easy but not fun, not when the rear started to slide as I came up the slope. The graders were working but I saw no signs of the dozer (yet). Started snowing on the way out. Found the dozer still parked at the Eureka intersection.

When I left after looping around the park there was a new sign at the south pass sign warning of washouts. Was still snowing when left on Friday.
The turnoff to Trona was blocked with signs warning of flash floods.
Major Tom

Morning report, 11/23, 7 a.m.; Just spoke with Jeff, from the Inyo County Road Department. Eighteen inches of snow fell yesterday on the north pass. (Similar reports from the south pass). There are dozers and graders in the north pass. From the turn-off to Saline Valley to the top of Marble Canyon, the road has been plowed by the grader. From Marble Canyon to the top of Whipporwill Canyon, there are dozer tracks, where the D7 is now parked. IF the snow has NOT drifted, the path should be clear. (Currently, there appears to be no wind in Ridgecrest, or Big Pine). The crew will resume work on Tuesday morning. There is the possibility of another storm on Thanksgiving. The crew will resume work on the road the Monday after Thanksgiving, should such a storm occur. If you are going in, make sure you have 4WD, chains, and good clearance. It does not sound impossible,  but you should keep your game face on. If not snow, there will be mud. I am going for it. Good luck to all!
Farmer_Fred

Came out north pass thursday 21 nov. at 11:07 am.  passed 2 graders bottom of 3 mile grade not working.  Snowing at 5000 ft level . 3.2 inch at to of north pass and snowing more. At end of north pass at pavement encountered an off loaded D 7 Cat dozer and 2 additional graders all stopped as snow falling. 

My rig:  a full size 4x4 pick up w/ conventional cab and 8 ft box w/ 8 ft cab over camper.  (no over hang front or rear)  class E load range tires slightly larger than stock. (tire tread so strong a plug kit will not penetrate) Recommended to others  

Drag bat rock road :  brought in new used 3/4 inch rope to replace my 3 year old broken 1 in ,  It broke after .4 miles. Can get more 1 in to bring in Pres  day. (some person or persons 4 years ago stoled the tow chains off the drag)   Yes  drag doesn't do much good only some good.

My two cents :  Folks at the springs had somehow gotten in in "marginal vehicles."  If one gets stuck in the Willow creek washouts the North Pass exit becomes impassable.  
James Sel

Don't worry Tule Mother Nature will provide us with snow.
Tule

Maybe we should leave Bat Rd alone.  The county is busy making North Pass a freeway. If the journey is too easy, there will be too many idiots at the springs.  The good folks (including George and Ria) will make it in just fine.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!