Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 5 of 6     «   Prev   2   3   4   5   6   Next
knockknock

Don't think you need to bring more people to s.v., just come as you are ,Enjoy quietly/ peacefully?
trigger

"You people" LOL! Darn you people for not wanting guided tours to the springs!! If you people don't stop this Lobo and Sparky are never gonna wanna camp with us!
MagoElle

I am so creeped out by that post #29
Mr.T

Hate getting in the middle of this, but I'm probably not the only one whose thoughts are conflicted.  On one hand I like solitude, and on the other hand it is public land.
Salt Peter

It is all of our hot springs. Not just people here on SPA. However, most here on SPA know a lot about how the springs operate and preserving the area. A tourist operation only gets more attention from the park service. The last thing anyone wants to see is the springs dozed. The attitude being addressed here on this thread is whether or not a paid tourism travel outfit is a good idea. The OP put forth her idea of what she had in mind and has received output from those of us who frequent this site. Think about this past winter and spring seasons where there were reports of people having sex in the pools and babies w/o swim diapers in the pools too. I sincerely doubt any of those people were frequent visitors to Saline nor care about anyone else but themselves. 
Salt Peter

Sparky you don't soak at the springs? There's no way I'd travel all the way out to the springs in Saline just to use the crapper.

Since you aren't a fan of camping near people would it be safe to say you aren't in favor of more people coming? Just curious.
Sparky of SoCal

I follow this site because of the amount of information about this part of the country. In thirty years that I have been playing in the area I have honestly only stopped at the springs to read the posted notice and female with me use the head. Not a fan of camping near people or the open area. After reading some of the post another reason not to stop is because of the attitude of the so called regular locals. Not so sure I'd want to hang with you people.
Salt Peter

There are plenty of other hot springs much more accessible where you could make a buck taking foreign travelers to. However having been to other springs I've often met European tourists that have somehow "found" the hotsprings. Last month up at Whitmore there was a young woman from Germany who was touring the Eastern Sierra without a tour guide.
SalineOldTimer

"making this an acceptable sustainable service for the purpose supporting the maintenance of the springs" - how about you leave things the way they are? The springs survived without you for decades. They will survive without your financial support.

oregonjohn

HMMM Elle, 
Let's see, you want to bring in complete strangers to the Springs without any vetting process. How can this even be a good idea? You have no way of knowing who your "client(s)" are and what they will do. What happens when you get to the valley and they brought in fireworks and burn the Arrow Weed down? Or worse. You would be responsible for their actions. There are many scenarios that I could think of that would be a complete disaster for you and the Springs. While I commend you on your entrepreneur mindset, the Hot Springs are not the place to make a buck.

OJ 
MagoElle

Thanks for the questions!  I have not moved forward with any commercial plans on this yet, and I'm looking into what it will take to make it a non-profit to support the springs, with no more than one dozen trips to the springs per year.  The demographic I will market to will be most likely Europeans visiting the states.  I had an account on here years ago but I can't remember the log in or password or email for that matter so I re-registered.  I grew up in Lone Pine CA so I know Lizard Lee and he knows me and my family.  I created this post to get helpful ideas on making this an acceptable sustainable service for the purpose supporting the maintenance of the springs and sharing it with individuals that will respect the place.  Hope that helps clear the air a little...
SalineOldTimer

It's a good idea to check with Lizard Lee and SPA.
I am surprised the forum moderators have not removed MagoElle's post. Isn't it a commercial advertising for which this website did not receive any $
Terawanderer

Hi MagoElle....
   What " specific demographic " do you plan to market to ??   If you have been going to the springs for 24 years....Why did you register here just 13 days ago or so ??  What do you plan to spend all this money on at the springs ??  Did you ask Lee if he thinks this is a good idea......
Salt Peter

I'm a no vote as well.
Enough people have access to the springs. Hell people come in with cars often enough that it isn't as surprising as it used to be.
Just Bill

Have been a yearly visitor for 38 years. I don't see this type of commercial venture being to popular to the masses! Sorry but NO vote here.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!