Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
SalineOldTimer

"making this an acceptable sustainable service for the purpose supporting the maintenance of the springs" - how about you leave things the way they are? The springs survived without you for decades. They will survive without your financial support.

oregonjohn

HMMM Elle, 
Let's see, you want to bring in complete strangers to the Springs without any vetting process. How can this even be a good idea? You have no way of knowing who your "client(s)" are and what they will do. What happens when you get to the valley and they brought in fireworks and burn the Arrow Weed down? Or worse. You would be responsible for their actions. There are many scenarios that I could think of that would be a complete disaster for you and the Springs. While I commend you on your entrepreneur mindset, the Hot Springs are not the place to make a buck.

OJ 
MagoElle

Thanks for the questions!  I have not moved forward with any commercial plans on this yet, and I'm looking into what it will take to make it a non-profit to support the springs, with no more than one dozen trips to the springs per year.  The demographic I will market to will be most likely Europeans visiting the states.  I had an account on here years ago but I can't remember the log in or password or email for that matter so I re-registered.  I grew up in Lone Pine CA so I know Lizard Lee and he knows me and my family.  I created this post to get helpful ideas on making this an acceptable sustainable service for the purpose supporting the maintenance of the springs and sharing it with individuals that will respect the place.  Hope that helps clear the air a little...
SalineOldTimer

It's a good idea to check with Lizard Lee and SPA.
I am surprised the forum moderators have not removed MagoElle's post. Isn't it a commercial advertising for which this website did not receive any $
Terawanderer

Hi MagoElle....
   What " specific demographic " do you plan to market to ??   If you have been going to the springs for 24 years....Why did you register here just 13 days ago or so ??  What do you plan to spend all this money on at the springs ??  Did you ask Lee if he thinks this is a good idea......
Salt Peter

I'm a no vote as well.
Enough people have access to the springs. Hell people come in with cars often enough that it isn't as surprising as it used to be.
Just Bill

Have been a yearly visitor for 38 years. I don't see this type of commercial venture being to popular to the masses! Sorry but NO vote here.
BigDaddyJEH

I have an FJ and it is a very capable desert vehicle!  Actually, it is amazing!

I flat out think it wrong to increase the number of people visiting the springs.  A lot of people work very hard to keep the springs up (I am trying to do more).  
Nevertheless, the more people coming to the springs means more work for the few that do most of the work.  
trigger

Wasn't meant to be an argument but thanks for being sexist. We have a tricked out FJ Cruiser. I'm always curious tho when someone makes that type of comment exactly why they think that. If you know your rig and it's a capable rig then you most likely have a good sense of desert visiting and are a great person to be visiting the springs. You most likely will be a person helping the less prepared rather than the one needing the help. Based on your comments tho I would guess you don't really know your ass from a hole in the ground. But then again you me and my wife are driving the most capable desert vehicle the world has ever seen! [smile]
mlmorrison

My 2 cents worth: I would much rather have someone familiar with and a lover of the Springs take people in and out than just any 'ole commercial operation running van loads of people in. And anyone can use the Springs, including jeep loads of jerks going on their own.
MagoElle

I'm not giving up or discouraged by a couple of grumpy old comments.  Thank you for adding the links to the park service! That was very helpful! If your making negative comments it's most likely because you have preconceptions and not enough clarity on the situation, if you met me and knew more details I sincerely doubt they would continue to have a problem with this. I've been going to the springs since I was 16, over 24 years now, and each time I go I bring in supplies, goodies for lizard Lee, and I bust my ass working on the place.  Im most definitely part of that community.  I make my own work schedule so I can get away and do a little side gig. Not looking to make this a huge operation, or an inexpensive service meant to haul loads of people to DV. I'll be screening for the right types to share the springs with and marketing to a specific demographic.  More like a desert outfitter.  Oh and I forgot to mention how I plan on using much of the profit to support the springs.  I do this because I sincerely Love SV Hot Springs. In addition to that I will not argue with anybody about what's the best desert vehicle is, arguing is a man's game, and a great way to suck my time and energy. I have better things to do. Please do introduce yourself and plan on looking me in the eye and telling me exactly how you feel in person.
James Sel

This is going south quick.
randycan

Who would have thunk. UBER/LYFT in and out of DV. Lol
Sam D.

Not at all. I am rather warning that it may happen. Never by me but I know some radical regulars there.
Sam D.

I am not sure if your transportation services will be supported by the saline community. Many people have contributed heavily to the buildup and upkeep of the place. Now you say you will provide paid services to benefit from the free labor ?
I do not think so. I would not be surprised if you experience a very high rate of flats.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!