Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4
Hi Desert Warrior

My guess is that BLM must have removed the wreckage sometime later as there is no traces of it now at the chicken strip.  Silver Bobs last posting has a web site that is interesting to visit.  The list is not complete but good at that.  Even my book on crashes is very good but dosn't have the one at grapevine listed.  One story I would like to pass on that is not related to Saline.  I worked in the movie industry for some time and one day while working on a movie I was talking to a Los Angeles County Fireman Safety Officer, on the set.  Talk came around to plane crashes in the San Gabriel Mountains.  He said a few years back there was a brush fire on the slopes of Mt. Wilson and they were able to stop it before it reached the communication site on top.  The fire had burned away all the bushes and exposed a crashed AT-6 Trainer that had been missing for many years.  About 20 feet away was human remains, thought to be the pilot.  The county coroner took charge of the remains and discovered the remains were not the pilot but a Native American that had died over 200 years ago.  The pilot remains were never found.  This plane was not listed on the list, also.  Enjoyed River Rats information on first hand sighting of the crash at the chicken strip.
RiverRat

I was told? read? that the old wreckage at the mouth of McElvoy Canyon road was a glider that made it over the Inyos but couldn't get back out of the valley.  Don't know details about the landing.

Am I the only one who remembers the overloaded private plane that crashed on takeoff from the Chicken Strip in Spring Break 1987?.  4 guys flew in, tried to land at the old strip, aborted almost too late, clipped the bank on the east end with the landing gear trying to abort, collapsed a strut (?) (something was wrong with the landing gear after landing), circled the salt lake like they were thinking of landing (?) there (or, probably trying to get comfortable with the sudden load in their shorts), came back and landed at the Chicken Strip.  Rude, obnoxious, took all 4 of them to pack their beer/food (mostly beer) cooler out of the plane, oggled the naked women.  Background rumble of karma building.

Couple days drinking, they reloaded the cooler with the remaining beer and ice (sence more karma here?), took all morning to get ready while the air was heating up, finally tried takeoff in late AM.  Plane engine wound up, started off, echoing across the camp, then a WHUMP and silence.  I grabbed my first aid/trauma box and ran, others beat me there.  Pilot tried to take off (too soon? too slow?), stalled, came back down into the wash, clipped a wing on the side of the wash, spun 270 degrees into the other side of the wash and smacked into it.  When I got there, they were out.  Unique color of green and white on some of their faces, the, so to speak, pilot was blustering about legal action against anyone who claimed it was his fault (should be obvious, from the narrative above) and against anyone who took pictures.  I took pictures anyway.

Plane was "broke" (lacking a better description or technical language), back (fusilage?) was broke (kinked), prop was corkscrewed into the bank, wing tips shreaded, wings kinked, tail junk, and so on.  It didn't fly out.  Believe it was a rental plane, pilot wannabe probably had a lot of explaining to do

I believe the old strip was closed as too short, too uneven, and too close to camping.  The Sky Pilot flew right over my camp on his way to clipping the bank on the east.  Moron.

We left the same day, safely, out the North Pass.  Do not know any resolution about this incident

RiverRat
SilverBob

For many years there was an old wooden wing spar with some wire control rigging still attached, laying at the intersection of the MacElvoy Canyon Road and the Saline Valley Road.  I always attributed it to the 1930 crash of an old wooden aircraft, rumored to have been a survivor of the 1927 Dole Derby.  Unfortunately, the big storm that wiped out all the vegetation in MacElvoy Canyon also washed the spar away.  There's no telling where it might be now.  Somewhere, I have a bunch of detailed 35mm pictures I took of it back around 1980 or so, when I thought it might still be identifiable.  I never had any luck tracking it down.

The real "Bamboo Bomber" was the Cessna AT-17.  They weren't built until just before WWII, and the wreck I'm talking about happened sometime in 1930, as documented on this page:  http://www.av.qnet.com/~carcomm/a.htm

I've never heard of an AT-17 crash in Saline.
Hi Desert Warrior

Wow!  Great information on the B-24.  A prized find of the B-24, a first hand account by a very good writer.  Thanks Silver Bob.  By the description of the story the location of the crash site is in the area of the Northwest section of the lake.  Whats the story on the Bamboo Bomber?  Mann shows a picture of what appears to be a landing flap at the salt lake.
SilverBob

"So, I wonder where  the late Bill Mann received his information on the B-24."

Apparently from gossip and rumors.  The rest he just made up.  The plane was cut up and removed by salvage crews.  It did NOT sink in the lake bed!

A Google search for "B-24, Saline Valley" will get lots of results, including this one:  http://www.av.qnet.com/~carcomm/wreck29.htm

Hi Desert Warrior

Sparky thank you very much for starting this.  You did what I couldn't do. thanks again.  What I would like to know is-  What is the biggest aircraft to land and take off from the chicken strip?  Has any craft like a Beech Baron or twin engine Cessna used the strip?  Why was the other strip closed?  Was there an accident or BLM involvement?  Or did it involve a hazard for military flyby's?  Bill Mann's book said there is a B-24 in the salt lake and has sunk out of sight.  I wonder if this is true or not.  He stated the crew jetison equiptment before crashing into the lake, which includes the guns.  Too bad the approach to the crash site is not known, As a search of the flight path could locate some interesting artifacts.  It would be nice to know the where about this plane is and how deep.  The crew survived except for one who died before rescue arrived.  Sorry to say my book on crashes in California does not list this plane and the crash site..  So, I wonder where  the late Bill Mann received his information on the B-24.
Sparky of SoCal

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/index.htm

When I start looking at old maps and see strange straight lines I refer here to get some info.
Salt Peter

https://www.backcountrypilot.org/

Lots of info there about...well...back country strips and aviating.
Salt Peter

Love the title!
And go!
Might not be in our precious Saline but it flew over and near it I'm sure...Gamblers Special

Also the Bamboo Bomber came to rest in Saline
Sparky of SoCal

I have enjoyed you guys talking about the different crash sights in the area. I have enjoyed checking some out in the Sierras, Lower Calif Desert, and San Bernardino Mtns. Hoping you guys continue it here before you upset the cart over there.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!