Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
Salt Peter

Good call. I didn't even think of that. Probably what it was. Wait, silver T-38/F-5?
P3Tacco

AS to the F-104 lookalike, maybe it was a T-38?
Sam D.

C-17 on Monday over the Lower Springs
DVExile

A few weeks ago saw a C-17 head over Steele Pass while we were having lunch up there.  It made the turn and dive to head right for the springs so I assume they got a flyover down there.  Also saw a B-1 transiting near Steel Pass but it headed over the Cottonwoods rather than down towards the springs.
Salt Peter

An MV-22 too? What a good day for plane spotting.
You are correct about the NASA birds and the XB-70. I have a couple books about the Valkyrie and my flight surgeon worked on the project. Not sure what part of the program it happened but North American couldn't solve heating issues which at that time were overcome in the A-12 program. Great times for aviation.
Hi Desert Warrior

It only looked like a modified F-104 with outside engines. I believe NASA used a few as chasers. One of which collided with the XB-70 resulting in a crash of both planes in the Mojave Desert. I don't think this one was a drone, but it was traveling too fast to see if there was a pilot. Earlier in the day, I saw a V-22 traveling the other way over the peace sign toward Steel Pass.
Salt Peter

Very cool on the Herc. Only seen one there and it was a nice surprise. Always have the camera close and ready. I'm quite doubtful an F-104 was there. No clue from your description what it might have been. The F-104s were retired from US service in the mid 70s and I'd doubt any leftover airframes would be converted to drones. Another minuscule puzzle piece in SV.
Hi Desert Warrior

Just spent the last week at the Palm Springs, for the week. Wednesday I was having lunch in the shade of the palm trees next to the volcano pool. I heard a loud noise and looked up to see a C-130 coming toward me from steel pass at tree top level. I dropped my lunch and grab my camcorder, as I was trying to turn it on the C-130 climbed to clear the palm trees which gave me a good look at its under belly. I finally got the camcorder working only to get a view of the planes rear as it banked over the lower springs. About 4 PM I was sitting in the shade of the Wizard pool when I heard a jet passing over the peace sign coming from the steel pass area and went around the hill and out of sight. It looked like an F-104, all silver with no markings, it had stubby wings, and an extended body with external engines on each side that extended from mid body to the tail section. It was traveling too fast to grab my camera and get a shot of it. I love the springs, you never know what your going to see while being there.
Hi Desert Warrior

Last May two B-1 Bombers did a fly by the springs.  I missed the first one but got the second one on tape.  Not a bad shot if I say so myself.
XPBC

A huge B52 flew over just before Prez Day weekend.
Hi Desert Warrior

Anything new in the chatter?  Has there ever been a military aircraft landing at the chicken strip?  It would have to be a chopper or a V-22, stopping by for a soak.  Has any twin engine aircraft such as a Beech Baron ever land at the strip?  That would have been a hoot to see. 
Hi Desert Warrior

WOW!  Thanks for the info.  All this time I thought the pilots were voyeurs checking out the people around the pools.  I have to say every now and then you get a show off in the sky.  I captured some good footage of a F-16 making a very low pass over Palm Springs.  I think he saw me filming him as he did a 360 and when he went by the lower springs, again, did a victory roll.  Then the F-16 made a sharp 90 to the left for about 500 yards pass the lower springs and went vertical, hitting the afterburner.  What a show and I got it on tape.  That was about three years ago.
DVExile

The tip of the lava flow near the peace sign is "Point H" on the "SIDEWINDER" low level training route in the R-2508 complex as described in the users handbook for R-2508.  The lower springs themselves are a "GEO Reference Point" inside R-2508 called "NUDY CAMP".  Since the two locations are so close to each other it seems different pilots decide to fly over different points.  Also not everyone flying low level through the valley is following the "SIDEWINDER" route necessarily and they are suppose to report entering areas by "GEO Reference" so that's another reason to buzz the springs.
Hi Desert Warrior

I agree 200%  I think it could also bring a low flying jet down, as well.
SunMan

Drones are banned in the park. Would not dig a drone buzzing me while I soak.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!