Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 7      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next   »
florida

Hi Desert, we need to talk.
Hi Desert Warrior

Sorry to disappoint you Commando Paul.   
I was at Palm Springs all last week.  No signs of Burros and very little to none of Burro droppings anywhere in the area.  I also believe to give credit where credit is do.  Who else would paint the vault toilet and cover the art work as well as removing the mobiles?  Little green men from outer space?
florida

Sad that the art and artifacts have been lost. I know they meant much to some people. Some commemorated anniversaries.
Before our previous hosts came in last year I found it necessary to wash the outhouse out with two 5 gallon buckets of soapy water and scrub the commode and its seat daily. Whew! Ria took over that task when she arrived. I assume our new host will do the same. Otherwise we will find stains from excrement all over the newly painted building. When that happens people stop using it and crap all over the campground. Really gross. I'm sure our new host, being a long time Saliner, is aware of the potential problem. Solar Don like the rest of us will want to maintain the same level of pristine cleanliness that we have all come to expect.
florida

Yes.
Commando Paul

Seems premature to assign blame for changes in the hot season, especially when there is a heavy load of burro turds in the air the last couple days.  Reckon we need to let things settle a bit, before tasting for truth... [tongue]

Time for new art, a tabla rasa. 

CP
Hi Desert Warrior

Bad news at the Palm Springs.  I just spent the last week at the springs.  While visiting the toilet, the inside has been repainted white.  Gone are the enjoyable art work on the walls showing life in the desert.  All the rules and regulations have been removed from the door and outside walls except don't feed the animals.  The walls and inside roof didn't need to be repainted, but the floor dose and it wasn't painted.  Also the artistic mobiles were removed from the windows.  Which gave it the flavor of the days of the hippie generation.  Talk about destroying history, thank you Death Valley National Park for your wisdom and mean spirited actions.  Also, beware Mr. Rattlesnake is hanging around the rocks at the vault toilet.  I didn't check out the lower springs when I left.  I didn't want to know what the Park Service has done there.
James Sel

Don't believe everything you read on the net. There are issues but, people still abundantly help out.
Itripper

Hi all!,
   i have been away from Saline for 20 years, really miss it.  I love Saline and have stayed for many months there.  I am glad to see the NPS has not been all that intrusive, I was worried about that.  Saline has always been a community maintained place, I am appalled that Lizard Lee is expected to upkeep the pools and restrooms himself, I am glad to see he is a camphost. This is not the Saline I remember, it is everyone's duty to clean the pools or restrooms as needed.  I really hope that people realize keeping the problems resolved within our community and not involve the NPS is the best for us, there can come a point where the NPS will get tired of the complaints and just crack down. If I found the restrooms to be dirty or the pools to need scrubbing, I would do it, out of consideration for all the work the Wizard and Lizard Lee had put into the place. The Wizard was a cool dude and I am sorry to hear he passed.  
I intend to to retire in a few years and would like to spend considerable time at Saline once again, please remember what a peaceful place it is and do your best to keep the government out of the "small potatoes" problems that may occur there. 
ride

I have not been to these forums in months, due to all the vitriol that was being tossed around.
I skimmed this thread because I wanted to see what it said...

Some of the palms at middle spring have been recently cut down?? really? All this crap has got to stop.
Was one really cut down because George and Ria were having trouble sleeping cause the palm tree "was too noisy"? seriously?? WTF?

All I have to say to george and ria, is good riddance! you did nothing for middle spring and after reading some of your posts in just this thread, your quite the hypocrites as well.
I am not for or against Lee either, I think the place would probably stay about the same as it is, even if there were no camp "hosts" around at all...

As far as me wishing G&R "bye bye", here's one of the most recent reasons why:
The last time we were at the springs, I witnessed George and Ria throwing large rocks at a burro who was only trying to get a drink of water from the source pool. I said "hey, it was just trying to get a drink" They ignored me and then proceeded to encourage their UNLEASHED dog to chase the poor thing, nipping at it's feet, while still flinging rocks at it. When further pressed, George told me that they pooped everywhere, I said "that's what shovels are for" and he told me flat out "That is not my Job". I said "well... as the camp "host", that *is* your job". He ignored me and then said that the burro was fouling *their* drinking water.
It made me wonder how the NPS would feel knowing it's "hosts" out there were actively molesting the wildlife in a National Park?

Then I read posts from them complaining how Lee doesn't clean the poop up at lower springs, I guess he doesn't have to huh?? If it's "not your job" as camp "host" George, maybe you shouldn't bitc* about someone else not doing the same thing.

I also read their poster about springs etiquette, and wonder why it is ok for their dog to remain unleashed and be encouraged to attack the parks wildlife, all while they go around and "remind" others of the "rules".

I am sorry, hypocrisy makes me sick. I can't sit here and read this and say nothing, if you are going to call yourself camp hosts then you need to abide by the same rules that you attempt to impose on others, if you cannot, you should not be a camp host. It is as simple as that.

But than again, hopefully you will actually stay away now, since you now *have* to abide by the visitors rules eh?

I am done spraying and hope to maybe get back out to the springs one of these days.... eventually...

73's and ride is going QRT from these forums... again... I wish you all happy soaking...
gael

Mogman needed a couple potted plants for his new hydraulic veranda heliport upgrade combo. ( On sale now at your local Lockheed Martin dealer! ) Just sprucin' up his unit, so to speak. No big deal.
Hi Desert Warrior

The one tree that was cut down years ago is in the center of the grove at the volcano springs.  The one cut down at the volcano pool is on the edge of the north side of the grove.  Maybe the desert has taken effect on the stump.  But it sure looks like its been cut for some time.  The one at the wizard pool is in the center of the grove at the west side of the grassy area.  The stump looks the same as the volcano one.  Only cut flat and not at a slight angle.  As for the Burros, they don't eat palm leaves or palm trunks.  That's why Lee at the lower springs burns the fallen leaves, to get rid of them.
Salt Peter

Yeah I'm not buying that from a first time poster. I've never seen a tree lacking life at Palm Spring, let alone at each pool up there.

Hilarious...Only one tree was making too much noise. BS.
dvinsider

One palm tree was cut down years ago. The other one was making too much noise in the wind for George or Ria to sleep, so they asked a visitor to cut it down.  Then the tree laid on the ground for weeks while donkeys munched on it before somebody cut it in pieces.
Salt Peter

This was supposedly done last week. I was out there last month and no significant tree trimming nor an entire tree being cut down was noted at that time.

Georg and Ria have left which is what this thread was started about. Lee being the sole individual who is there year round needs to chime in.
Hi Desert Warrior

I was at the Palm Springs last Oct. and none were cut then.  I was there last Easter, to many people, so I just drove around to find a shaded spot, which I didn't, had my lunch and left.  You might be right maybe Lee knows what happened, but I never talk to him as he is in the lower springs and I camp at the Palm Springs.  Maybe Rita and George knows, as the cutting does not look fresh.  The one at the volcano pool was not cut straight across but at a little angle.  The many parts of the trees had to be trucked out.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution