Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
Ruth

I have a brother in law enforcement who likes to inform dog owners that the first amendment rights do not apply to their animals, leash or loose, they still need controlled. 

Salt Peter

I agree on all points made SilverBob
SilverBob

I agree that the duty of the Camp Host is to inform people of the rules.  The problem is that most, if not all of the visitors know the rules already.  They simply choose to ignore them.  The Camp Host has no authority to enforce the rules.  That's not part of his job description, nor would we want it to be.

In the past, the User Community was self-policing.  Peer pressure is a powerful tool that worked for many years.  If someone's dog is causing a problem for you, chances are that it's causing a problem for others around you.   If three or four folks, with or without the Camp Host, approach the offending owner politely, yet firmly, and let him know that he needs to change his ways, it usually gets the point across.  That also applies to loud music, speeding through camp, and a myriad of other rude behaviors.

If all that fails, then I think the jackass probably deserves an expensive fine.
Salt Peter

I'd think the camp host would make suggestions to people about keeping dogs leashed.
florida

Loose dogs also force some people to keep their leashed pets in their campers. They and their owners can't even enjoy lounging by the pool. Not fair. I saw three tiny leashed dogs harassed by big loose dogs near the Wizard. The rule abiding owner ended up having to leave the area, while the big dogs found a new target - burros - and pissed on the benches and shoes around the pool.
I respect the Libertarian attitude of the Springs and I do NOT enjoy confronting people about "The Rules". But be realistic, the NPS is looking for reasons to shut us down. Let's not make it easy for them. Unlike Solar Don, I don't have to worry about people going after my job because I piss someone off so I speak up.
We don't want the NPS out there writing tickets (or worse).
Sam D.

May I suggest creating a sticky thread about animals on this forum?
Something like Pets and Wildlife - Important information, perhaps? Code of conduct for pet owners and warnings about wild life?

I agree with everything you wrote, O.J.
I am sick and tired of collecting dog defecation. During my last visit a dog marked crystals in the crystal pool.
The owner was cool to clean up with bleach though. Nevertheless, few people pick up after their dogs.
oregonjohn

I would like to echo Silver Bob's comments with one exception. DOGS... a large amount of dog owners WERE responsible for their pets. That being said, there were quite a few that let their dogs run amok and into trash, pooping and not doing the clean up, etc.
When are the people, that let dogs off leash and run around everywhere, going to get a clue? Don't get me wrong, I love dogs and have two of the best, but I'm really tired of some peoples action about leaving their dogs off a leash. This is especially true during big gatherings such as Presidents and Thanksgiving. Dogs gone wild.
If you are going to take your dog to Saline, don't let it run around unleashed near camps/tubs. You can walk them in the big wash or up to the Upper Spring and let them do some running around with supervision. Come on people, be responsible pet owners and keep them on a leash and in control.

OJ
SoCalSteve

What Silver Bob said...  Was a great time.  
Weather was super nice.  
Ranger Ric

So that must mean SilverBob, that your land cruiser must of preformed well...Good vehicles...

SilverBob

The weather was beautiful, the roads were open, the water was hot.  It was a fantastic weekend, unless you're a Misfits fan.  The Skins won an error filled game by the score of 33-14 on Sunday.  Mark "Hendy" won his fourth Green Robe in the golf match on Saturday.  The Sunday evening pot luck was well attended and offered a remarkable variety of good food, as well as music afterward.  I didn't see or hear of any serious injuries or incidents, so I'd say it was another successful Presidents' Day Weekend.
Sam D.

So, how was it? Who won? Who's going to write a report?
FVP

My group is coming in from the bay area, should be in around noon tomorrow, brining Firewood and some TP to donate.

No idea why things are so quiet before the big weekend, I hope those old timers are just taking a year off and intend to come back, it wouldn't be the same without them.
bobhuckaby

big bang
bringing firewood
bob from tahoe
florida

I am surprised at how quiet the forum is just before our big weekend. I know of a few old-timers that won't be going for various reasons, but not so many as to create such a silence. Does anyone have any theories?
Salt Peter

For those asking for wood, why not go get some?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!