Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
bobhuckaby

An interesting side action at the softball game was a "grog flog" (I forget their name for it) where a couple of women were having a lot of fun flogging folks.
Cynthia - I am the attorney you wanted to speak with so PM me.
Bob from Tahoe
SilverBob

****After Action Report****

Saline Valley visitors enjoyed one of the warmest Presidents' Day Weekends in recent memory! That, combined with low fuel prices brought out a lot of folks we hadn't seen in quite a while.  Everyone seemed to enjoy the festivities.

The Drifter's big pancake, egg and sausage feed got things kicked off on Saturday.  Lots of good food for anyone willing to stand in line for it.  Big thanks to Joel for putting this on, and also to all the volunteer cooks!

The "Turtle Jim Desert Classic" was won by Redondo Dave, who carded a score of 15, narrowly edging out Oregon John.  Dave won the first Saline Valley Golf tournament, 13 years ago, and just won what might be the last one.  We'll see what happens down the road.

The softball game was very well attended this year, and for the first time in a long time we saw more spectators on the Skins' sideline then on the Misfits'.  The game itself lived up to the hype.  The score went back and forth through 6 innings, with the Misfits battling back from a 22-13 deficit to take a 1 run lead into the bottom of the seventh.  The home team Skins managed to even the score with 2 outs, leaving the game up to Tito.  A hit would have won the game, but it was not to be.  A long fly ball to center field, and the inning was over!  That was the first time in the 27 years we've been playing this game that we ever had a tie after 7 innings.  Both managers got together and decided that enough was enough, and we called it a draw.  23-23 was the final score.  The game ball was awarded to Scott and Pam for their years of doing the most thankless jobs in the valley, Umpire and Scorekeeper!  It was a well deserved honor.

The pot luck dinner went off as usual after the game.  Lots of tasty and interesting offerings were shared by the assembled masses.  Birthday cake, bonfire and music were on tap afterwards to help with the digestion.  A good time was had by all.

A steady stream of campers rolled out all Monday morning before we left at noon.  We also saw a mini-van leaving on the back of a Miller's Towing flatbed truck.  That will be one expensive tow!  I'm pretty sure I also saw a Prius that looked rather out of place, too.  I can report that the washboard is back in all its glory on the North Pass Road.  I don't imagine the South is much better, so take your time, carry a good spare (or two), and remember the advice that was often given by Turtle Jim, "Nobody ever got a flat tire from driving too slowly."
Bevis52

OJ, I'd like to get roster for softball on Sunday.  We have to leave around 4:00 on Sunday. I am (kind of fast) and can catch a ball.  Pretty fit for a 60 yo geezer.

florida

For those heading into Saline using I-10, the road is in great shape all the way across florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas. No snow, very little washboard.
Yessir!
florida

There is a new soaker from Idaho that is interested in playing - Snowman on the forum.
Flipper

Looks like there will be no need for a Donner Party caravan this year. Weather forcast is looking decent so far!
It was touch and go for me to make this year, but got it all worked out. Headed in Thursday the 12th via the north pass. Looking forward to some much needed soaks and fravolity and general mayham. Have my cocktail glove packed.

Flipper

oregonjohn

This will be the last Presidents for Saline Valley golf that I host. Hopefully someone else will pick up the reins and carry on with the tradition. It has gotten too much for me to carry all the equipment for the golf game and the softball game also. It has been a good 13 year ride but the time has come for a change.

On another note I will be looking for some ball players for Sunday to take back the Misfits crown. See me if your interested in playing and I will see if there is a spot on the roster. Looking for outfielders that are fast and can catch a ball. Something I can't do well anymore.

OJ
florida

Well, so far the road to Saline is great. Of course, I am still on I-75 in Florida. I will keep you all posted on road condition! Hah!
bobhuckaby

as of now the NWS is predicting warm and no precip in the passes, the rain this weekend is staying north, but I have 4-wheel chains in the truck anyway.
Bob from Tahoe
trigger

Hi Florida! Try TireChains.com. That's where I get mine. Good selection and they'll help you out.
florida

Yes, I have been warned both of the cost and nastiness of putting them on. I am sure that Buying them will assure all that attend The Day of a fine, snowless experience! I can taste the pancakes already!
Still, not much chatter about the weekend. Everyone must be out practicing their game!
PahrumpGeorge

Buy chains in snow country; get only heavy duty with cleats, but be prepared for sticker shock. NAPA or most truck stops will have proper chains. The light or med. duty are only for level terrain or very short distances, not for either N. or S. pass; they will only get you further into trouble. Now for the fun, try them on before really needing them; if you need them and they don't fit, then you are in real trouble. Be sure to carry heavy duty tensioners, extra links and a crimping tool; these are relatively cheap, but priceless when you need them.

All of this in this for a great soak with friends.
Geo.
florida

Somewhere along the way I will buy chains. Just not in the Deep South. Sooner or later I will need them.
PahrumpGeorge

Carry chains for ALL wheels. I was part of the Donner Party, chained 4 out of 6 wheels and still did not get through the snow. Actually it worked out for the best as some imbecile had parked a bull dozer side ways across the road, so I still could not have gotten through. Funny how that happened when there was almost no body at the springs.
I now carry a full set of chains which includes a set for dual wheels.
Hope to see everyone for Prez. day. Maybe this trip we can remember to bring the rest of the stuff to finish the kiosk.
Geo. & Kathy
florida

Who knows if there will be snow or not? Remember the Donner Party was on that weekend. I found it tough to handle the dodge in the snow coming out of the south pass in December.. Pretty scary . So I want to be ready for snow by carrying chains and extra beer.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!