Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment  
Mr.T

Photobucket problem -- Here's the pic of Marble Bath again...

mikeb

Mr T - thanks for the data.   I will check the width on my vehicle before attempting the drive.    I may try Lysdexic's suggestion when my vehicle has a few more "battle scars".....
Lysdexic

Just go through really fast - like a rabbit through a hedge. The faster they run, the narrower they get and the smaller hole they can fit through.
Mr.T

Mike, just measured the width on my Jeep --  Outer sidewall to sidewall is ~72 inches.  Rubbed the sidewalls slightly, tires aired down, so they were a bit fatter and more flexible.

I believe the track width of the Xterra is close to the same as the Jeep, so my bet is when you measure you'll get about 72 inches too.

Have fun!
mikeb

Mr T. - thanks for the photos and update on Steel Pass / Dedeckera Canyon.  Question on photo #3...is it really as tight as the photo shows it ?   I am going in to the valley this weekend, planning on exiting the springs northbound via Steel pass.  Have an 2006 Nissan Xterra, 4WD,  stock, no lockers, no running boards ( already trashed these at Hollister).  Appreciate if you think the Xterra will fit through  this tight spot.   Thanks.
Lysdexic

Good job finding Marble Bath!
Mr.T

We had a nice trip -- Big Pine to Eureka Dunes, Dedeckera Canyon, Steel Pass, Warm Springs, Lippincott Grade, Racetrack Playa, and south to Stove Pipe Wells for much needed fuel.  After that we stayed at Furnace Creek and went exploring other trails for a few more days.

We were going to camp at Warm Springs, but after soaking for a while and enjoying the scenic views we decided to head for Lippincott Grade and camp near there.

Trail conditions were good throughout, but note that most of this is 4WD only -- expect tough sections that may require "improvements" with rock/gravel to avoid damage or getting stuck.  At Eureka Dunes the sand is deep, especially climbing up to Dedeckera canyon.  There is a very narrow section at Dedeckera canyon with some dry water falls.  Steel Pass has nice views, and the trail down the wash to Upper Warm Springs is difficult to find and follow -- Old tire tracks and some red ribbons tied to creosote bushes are worth looking for.  Saline Valley road to the turnoff to Lippincott is mostly graded washboard and fine for 2WD cars, etc.  Lippincott Grade was full of deep ruts, big rocks, wash-outs, as well as being steep and narrow.  A lot of low range 4WD using up precious fuel.  Once over the top, it's good gravel road to the Racetrack, Ubehebe Crater, and pavement downhill to Sove Pipe Wells for fuel.

Ed_B

Pictures, with locations would be nice.
Sam D.

Per this post, they are coming by the end of Oct.

Morning report for N. Pass, "4x4 high-clearance only; last 4 to 5 miles gone". I am not sure what "gone" means. I am looking forward to eyewitness reports.
florida

When are George and Ria expected?  I expect to arrive in October myself and am hoping for sub-100 degree weather.

Any word on summer rain impact on the north pass?

Mr.T

Thanks all, looking forward to soaking in the desert.  We were there nearly 30 years ago.  There wasn't anyone at one of the springs, we enjoyed the water for an hour in the evening and hit the trail again.

How many people are typical during that time of year?
Hi Desert Warrior

Mr T- If your a firstimer, the springs are a clothing optional, shower before first time entering the soaking pools.  Also, after using the restroom.  Enjoy the shade provided by the palm trees.  If your comming by way of steel pass, this is a 4X4 route and low range is needed just before you near the pass.  The first spring you come to is upper springs, which has no shade and is a natural area.  The second springs is the middle springs which has two pools and camping areas.  Beyond that is the lower springs which is an oasis park like area that has two pools, one in the shade is very hot and the exposed one, in the sun, is not too hot.  Lower springs is where the camp host is, named Lizard Lee.  For camping in the heat lower springs is the best place.  Enjoy the Burros and very low flying military aircraft.  Since your comming in by steel pass be sure to stock up on ice and top off the gas tank before leaving Big Pine.  Have a safe and fun trip.  Watch out for the rattlesnakes, day and night.  It is the desert, you know.
Lysdexic

"What's the situation at the baths like this time of year?"

Same as always - early September will still be hot enough that you'll have to get in the bath to cool off. It was over 115 last Labor Day.

"
Is there a camp host?"

Yes. Lizard Lee is at the lower springs.

"
 Typical number of people?"

Labor Day there were about 4. Did I mention it was hot?

"
Advice on protocol at the springs?"

Don't be a d**khead. That about covers it.

Mr.T

Hi all,

The wife and I are planning a trip in DV in September.  We'll probably include a stop at the springs by way of steele pass.

What's the situation at the baths like this time of year?  Is there a camp host?  Typical number of people?  Advice on protocol at the springs?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution