Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
rabbit

Thanks for the tips, I camped further away from the middle springs, which was fine with me, I had a very good first visit and plan on returning with friends for a more formal group camp in the future, having seen good examples in how to group camp by the turkey crowd. 
Salt Peter

LOL Disturbed?
gael

It's the latter, completely disturbed camping.
Sam D.

Scorpions glow green under black light. I bought flashlights like these and they work fine for me:

https://www.amazon.com/Findway-Violet-Blacklight-Flashlight-Outdoors/dp/B00ATWGCT2/ref=zg_bs_6476726011_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=16MN33P0NSA2JV3ZZA4Z
Miguelito

You also might consider using some kind of light when it gets too dark to see something the size of a snake at night.  They can be hard to see.  One night this year two rattlesnakes slithered into and through my campsite.  I had a lantern in my hand but didn't see them until I was close enough to see they were not small sticks on the ground since they were not moving along at the time.  They didn't cause any problems and continued on after a few minutes.  I never saw them again but I reminded myself after that to make sure I can see clear enough walking around my campsite when it gets dark.  I have seen rattlers plenty of times over the years but that was the first time in my campsite.  About six weeks ago I also noticed a scorpion on the ground next to where I was sitting in my campsite.  I have never heard of problems with snakes and critters like scorpions but they are there.  In my experience, snakes are most common in the areas around the pools, the shower and dishwashing area.  There are likely more rodents to hunt there.  It is their home, not mine, and I respect that.  
Sam D.

Keep your shoes inside or on top of your vehicle. Keep food and any paper products inside or donkeys will eat them. Put something heavy on top of your coolers.
lighthawk

The other comment, that may not need to be said, based on your experience and demeanor, is that there are established fire rings and no new fires should be built outside of them.  In fact, there's a practice of using ash pans and removing your leftover fire remains.  All of DV does not allow any new offroading to establish any new sites or to leave established roads. 

I think you will find there are adequate spaces, both near and medium far from the springs.  Thanks for asking in advance!
rabbit

Thank you for the information, I try to take out more than I bring in, leave no trace is my lifestyle
Miguelito

If you find any trash laying around a site or blown into a distant bush, take it out with your own trash.  I always find a few things laying around.  Same for ashes left in fire rings if you can.  
Flipper

There are no official designated camp sites. There are well used places that are campsites. If you are solar and an experienced desert camper you will be fine. Beer seems to be the DOC at the springs. However multiple cocktails have been enjoyed by many. If this is your first visit there is a bit of  etiquette to be observed. Always get clean (shower) before soaking in the pools. Be a good human. No trash service.  And hauling out your campfire ashes is highly recommended. 
Other than that enjoy.
rabbit

Are there designated campsites or is it completely disbursed camping?  I have a full sized 4x4 and plan on sleeping in it at night but want to set up a tent and awning for convenience and cooking. No pets and I keep my music to myself in camp- no generator as I'm solar set-up. I am an experienced desert camper, and leave nothing but footprints and memories upon my departure.

Thank you in advance for all current information on campsite do an don'ts. I just want a quiet camp spot not a long distance from soaking pool(s)

I bring my own toilet set-up so bathroom location is of no need for me. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!