Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Salt Peter

I always shovel the ashes first when I get there into a bag or container or both and then what I leave I don't feel bad about. If I leave ashes it is usually because it is still warm or could possibly be.

I am worried about what the NPS might think or do regarding a lot of dogs running stray around the springs and their feces such as was reported after Presidents Day weekend.
Major Tom

With a big weekend coming up, I would like to suggest that the Saline community might make a proactive contribution toward addressing the Park's concerns about human impact. That contribution would be to use established fire pits and haul out ashes. A great way to avoid having to haul out hot ashes would be to shovel up some ashes in the pit you are camping next to and haul those out, leaving your ashes for the next party who might remove some in turn. Georg and Rea have extra heavy duty trash bags that can be used to gather up and hold the ashes. Don't try to take too much unless you have a box to put them in. Darn stuff gets heavy! Enjoy, and of course, if you pack it in, pack it out, and then some!
Major Tom

I am surprised it took so long to get any flak!   I think I have more than made up for it over the years by writing numerous letters of support to the NPS hierarchy on behalf of Lee in the face of others writing letters of complaint. 

JoltinJim

Damn Tom that was a cheap shot. Lee has helped me on numerous occasions since the 80's from fixing tires, radiator repair and  has sold me fuel. about all ive ever done for him is drop off oranges from my tree. saying he possibly helps people so they can leave earlier?  definitely not accurate in my humble opinion.
Major Tom

Gene ... I appreciate the job Lee does and the difficult position he has filled over many years. Having been a camp host for seven years (back when Lee first turned up as a camper) I understand better than most the challenges of the position. I would like to take some exception to your statement that before Lee the springs were not taken care of. I think I did a pretty good job myself. (And I could go into an interesting story of how I started every day making the rounds collecting burro scat but that is better left for around the campfire.) The springs have largely been maintained by the user community since forever, and continues to be so. At the risk of receiving some flak, I might suggest that yes, Lee is great at helping people repair their broken vehicles, maybe because he wants to see them leave sooner than later?
paul belanger

Gene
I totally agree with the sentiment about Lee.  He has helped me on numerous occasions. 

But I must point out that you have been taken in by a spamming program.  "ykfdf" is a non-entity computer program that copies a section of a previous post and posts a web address.  It is attempting to generate hits for the intended website.  This thread has been dead for over a year.

They "gotcha".
Gene

Yep, I agree with ykfdf. Lee has been a wonderful asset to the Springs. I've been going to the Springs for many years before Lee became camp host. Before Lee, it was never as well taken care of. On top of that Lee has excellent mechanical, welding and tire changing skills. He is always willing to help out. My guess, anyone who thinks he can do better would likely last a month, maybe two and then vanish. Lee is under-appreciated only by those who have never needed his help or advise. I'm a pro mechanic, yet I still find Lee's all around skills very impressive.

Wanderer - what email did you use? I have some concerns that need to be addressed as well.

Thanks
Chris

Dusty

Bullet points .223 or just 3oo WM   
the_wanderer

i have no need to air my concerns here since no one here can, will, or has the authority  to do anything about it.  early may, i sent a very detailed email to the head Ranger at DV, in my bullet points, I used letters A to P. 
The wanderer has yet to give any valid reasons why Lee should go. Perhaps he is just pulling our leg.

Plastic 5 gallon paint buckets possess many magical properties for desert people. They are cheap and cost about 5 bucks with a lid at Boxmart / Homedepot. They seal air tight and do not leak fumes or liquid in your vehicle, important because of jostling and pounding of bad roads. Buy a couple and haul out a lot of ash, maybe 10 or more campsites worth. Be sure to buy the metal bucket opener. Otherwise it's a pain to use a screwdriver and ruins it the bucket.

Additionally a 5 gallon plastic paint bucket is about the same height as a standard toilet. Buy a toilet seat for 10 bucks, discard the lid and it fits and balances perfectly on top. Makes wilderness crapping is a snap! Add a little dirt or sand in between uses for aesthetic reasons and it's quite pleasant. Seal it up when you head home and toss it in the old dumpster at Mcdonalds. Portable toilets are expensive, require chemicals and who wants to clean that out, anyway? This could also reduce the burden to the park facilities.

mcfanny

Heck, I just shoveled it into my trash bag on my way out.  As long as there's no hole in it, it's not a problem.
A Cabin Dweller

I'm using an ammo box for now.

I usually bring a 5 gallon plastic paint bucket with a lid put a plastic bag liner inside to haul cold ashes out in If thay are still warm add little water no big deal.
natur_lover

Any suggestions about a container to haul ash in?  Something metal with a sealed lid?

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!