Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
boyfester

I too am headed to Pleasant Canyon in late April 2017.  Is the South Park Canyon Road "closed" due to the bridge not allowing full size vehicles?  If so, any word from BLM or Park Service when the bridge is going to fixed?  Are they looking for volunteers or professional engineers to give it a blessing?  Just curious.  As you mention, I've heard it has been closed for years now but people have driven it anyway with Toyotas, Jeeps, Nissans, etc. with no issues.

Marc
carexpert

In Saline Valley terms, I think of the Pleasant Canyon-Briggs Cabin-South Park Canyon loop as "Steele Pass With Consequences".
Big drop offs, no room for error, and then there are the conflicting opinions about the bridge.
I always thought you could take a smaller PU/SUV/Jeep over it but shouldn't try it in a four ton F350.
Feels more comfortable, safer on a 320lb XR650 for sure...
Morrie

It was about 4 years ago, but I made it fine in a Jeep Unlimited (4-door).
mylo

Thanks everyone for the info. Good question carexpert, about whats my definition of "passable".  I drive a 4runner (pretty much stock but with very good off road tires.)  I've been in some fairly rough spots where my wife has threatened me with great bodily injury, then has gotten out and said she loved me (in case I rolled off a cliff.....Lol.)  So I guess I'm fairly competent, always seem to make it from point A to B with no mishaps........knock on wood!  About that "Chicken Rock"....hmm..... I did see some YouTube videos of it. Looks to be a can-do, as long as I'm not top heavy like one of the videos I observed.
DVExile

There is also "Chicken Rock" which is quite scary and has caused at least one roll over into the canyon in the past few years:

SilverBob

The road itself is in its "standard condition". The problem is that the BLM has posted the bridge above Briggs Cabin "Closed" to full sized vehicles. Quads and dirt bikes are OK. Jeeps and trucks are not. It's been that way for several years. Some people choose to ignore the signs. If you do, don't get caught.

Other than the bridge, a competent driver in a suitable vehicle should have no problem with the road.
Salt Peter

And between now and Oct a lot can change.
carexpert

Mylo, you might want to give your definition of "passable" first
mylo

Going to visiting the Springs in Oct, then going to Panamint Valley & up Pleasant Canyon and onto the Briggs cabin.  I'm wanting to come down via South Park Canyon, but head about a year or so ago it was not passable, anyone know?  

Thanks for any info.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!