Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Terawanderer

"apparently the owner is a pilot"     Google .....Bay area pilot survives small plane crash....  I heard that his prop broke in flight.....Good thing he wasn't hurt worse.
Salt Peter

You could either check on Back Country Pilot and see if anyone has been recently and pick their brain. If they are planning on going soon maybe split the cost of fuel and go with them in their airplane. You can also probably call PSR and ask about the condition. Finally, you can drive out and walk the strip to see first hand what it is like and if it is your comfort zone.

I'd guess PSR is easier than the Chicken Strip.
Glidergeek

I've "tried" once. Approach east to west over the road as the strip is up hill that way. It's a bit rougher than Chicken strip. You gotta carry power to the west end (top) and park. Sets you up for a down hill take off. I wasn't impressed with the whole place it looks like a desert junkyard. Nice people tho.
Sparky of SoCal

Is it a no no to land on the hwy then taxi off the hwy and park or whatever you guys call it.
johnh

Because it's soft and short...

I measured it on Google Earth, 1800 feet though I don't know what condition it's in at the ends (nor anywhere else for that matter). 1800 feet is plenty for my 182 but it looks like definite taildragger territory. I'd want to have walked it before taking just about anything in there except maybe a helicopter or a Husky on serious tundra tires - that goes for any back-country strip.
Salt Peter

Why wouldn't you take a 182 there?
Soft and short [wink]
johnh

Anyone ever tried landing (and taking off too I guess) at Panamint Springs Resort? Driving past there a couple of weeks back I was surprised to see a Citabria parked. I asked in the store and was told that there is a strip and they quite often get people stopping there - apparently the owner is a pilot.

I looked on Google Earth and indeed there is a decent length strip behind all the buildings. I can't really imagine taking my 182 in there but I wondered if anyone knew about it?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!