Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4
Sam D.

"Concerned Springer", if you've never been to the springs during summer, you might find it hard to believe but it gets very very hot. In fact, the temperature does not fall below 95 at night for several weeks. This makes it very difficult to do anything. We are fortunate to have LL there during summer to keep an eye on vandals and looters. He does plenty during summer. I helped him on numerous occasions. My understanding for any perceived "inactivity" is we are waiting for the park service to come up with the plan based on the feedback it collected last year. Nevertheless, if you feel something needs to be fixed, feel free to do it yourself. I am sure you can find plenty of help once the weather cools down and visitation picks up. The springs have had a long history of visitors maintaining the facilities. Please do not wait for anybody else. Bring all the materials you need to fix and just do it.
SilverBob

"Concerned Springer",  I don't have the answers to your questions.  I will be attempting to visit the springs via Steele Pass on September 20th.  I'll look around and post my findings here.
Salt Peter

Un you are always so verbose in your rant's against Lee. Why don't you take it upon yourself to spend the time out there and do some of the much needed repairs.
Concerned Springer
Can somebody tell me if the Sunrise pool’s cracks have been repaired and its rusty dilapidated flow pipe and valve have been replaced? If not, what has LL done this summer so far? There aren’t many visitors in the summer so he should be actively fixing and repairing the facilities. Otherwise, he’s just a squatter who lives on public land free of charge.  There are other projects at both springs. The bottoms of all pools at the Palm Springs need resurfacing. The valve in the Crystal has rusted through. Shower tub needs major scrubbing. If LL is too old he either needs to lead or he should step down to give his spot to a younger more energetic person.
By the way, has anybody seen LL showering before his soak?
Geo Mitch

I just go back from my annul August trip to the springs.  Like my other summer trips, the pools had not been cleaned for some time.  The Wizard pool was especially bad this year and I had to use a shovel to clean out the thick growth.  Lee said I was the first person he had seen in 3 weeks.  There were no floods that came through the springs this year (unlike last year).  However the pipe to the shower is exposed and needs to be buried deeper or covered.  The CaCO3 build up around the water line in the wizard pool needs to be removed.  I used a basalt stone to do the area where I sit but I didn't do the whole tub.  A disc grinder with a masonry disc would work well.  I also cleaned a lot of sand out of the valve box.  I think the sand gets in there when we clean the pool.  Maybe a box with sides above ground level would prevent that.
I brought in 4 bottles of bleach and but had to use some to clean the pools.  Normally any bleach that is out there all summer is no longer useful so I dump it and haul out all the old bleach bottles and any other trash I can find.  There was plenty of TP in the out house and brushes for cleaning the pools.
  The shower was working fine.

Labor Day 2014 009.JPG

I may not be out there again until December so I expect all work to be done before my next trip.  (Just kidding).

Geo Mitch

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!