Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
Rusty Scout

Here's a thought. JUST IGNORE THE TROLLS
Big Jeff

Un Concerned

You clearly did not take the advice above, This is your special place http://forum.salinepreservation.org/post/un-forgivens-concerns-6545718
See I made it easy for you and take note of the first post there.
Concerned Springer
Big Jeff, “You clearly do not understand the dynamics of the Saline Warm Springs User Community” – there is no dynamics anymore. It used to be the community driving the work. We built pools and maintained plumbing. But now, people rely on the camp host and the camp host does not do much. He became complacent if not utterly antagonistic towards most visitors. I bet he thinks that crumbling infrastructure will deter people. I propose SPA (if it wants to stay relevant) comes up with a set of daily duties for the camp host that he needs to follow or risk being replaced. Something in terms of

•    8AM – Collect wild burro droppings – he feeds them he should clean up after them.
•    10AM – 6 PM Clean every pool per schedule – not the one he soaks in.
•    1 PM – 7 PM Clean outhouses when needed.
•    3 PM - Check on pipes, fix when needed. 
•    ETC. ETC. ETC.

Nothing should be set in stone and if visitors want to take over some of his duties they can, so LL can continue his work on building his shanty fortress of solitude.
Salt Peter

Week before Halloween might be doable. I need to know ASAP as I will be submitting my work availability schedule. I usually try to be there in late october sometime regardless if there is "work" to be done at the springs.
florida

Thank you Big Jeff!
I'm planning going in the week before Halloween and figure it will be a work trip. Anyone want to do a real organized work party thing at that time? It would be nice to spruce it up a bit before the holiday.
Would dragging Bat Rock Road help it? I have a vehicle that could do it and infinite patience.
Big Jeff

Un concerned springer

You clearly do not understand the dynamics of the Saline Warm Springs User Community. Also you fail to see the value that Lee provides to the Park Service and to visitors alike. This thread is about Camp Needs not personal misguided complaints. A special place was created just for your endless rants and it still exists in the General Topics section, use it or risk being Ostracized (To exclude (a person) from society or from a community, by not communicating with (them) or by refusing to acknowledge (their) presence; to refuse to talk to or associate with; to shun.) from the community. I am thankful that you are limited in the number of days you can camp at the Springs.
Concerned Springer
Winks, when I need your advice on where to camp I can assure you I’ll ask you. I am talking about serious issues here so I do not need your advice. I’ve been coming to the springs for many years and it hurts me to see all the dilapidation and neglect. So it’s not up to my standards which are not high but reasonable. The springs existed before LL took over and will hopefully exist way after. I seek change to current practices and customs and if you are not up to serious conversation then you can continue to visit the springs and soak in the camp host’s filth and enjoy decaying facilities. 
winks

Un, I mean Concerned Springer, feel free to find some other place to camp as the current springs clientele and management are obviously not up to your high standards.
Concerned Springer
Some of the broken things I inquired about in my original post have been neglected for few years. So the weather is not the factor. I have not heard any calls from neither LL nor SPA for any help. LL does not provide the necessary leadership to initiate the repairs. For regular folks with limited time and know-how, it’s hard to start any repair work without strong guidance from people in the trenches. Once again there is a vacuum in leadership if not complacency for the status quo. Winter time features limited visitation besides few holidays. I did not see any work done when the weather allows.

Also, has anybody seen LL showering before soaking? I think he uses crystal pool as his bathtub leaving everyone soak in his filth. The next time he's soaking there, feel free to soak. There is no reason to give him any preferential treatment.
Hot_Springs_Hound
I spent the last week at the springs helping Lizard Lee with some maintenance projects. We resurfaced the sunrise pool with fine marble slabs that the talc miners brought in from there marble mine. They found some marble few years ago - not enough for commercial mining, so they donated to the camp. It looks amazing. We also replaced the ball valve. Lizard Lee purchased an all stainless valve so it should last awhile. The valve at the crystal pool along with some pipe were also replaced(also provided by Lizard Lee). A couple of other campers helped with the work even though temps were around 115. I plan on coming back in a week and we are going to do the same work at Palm, marblelining all the tubs up there. Maybe there will be a few more volunteer helpers to help us. We could also use some bags of concrete.
SilverBob

Bravo, Sam D.  Well said! [thumb]
Sam D.

"Concerned Springer", if you've never been to the springs during summer, you might find it hard to believe but it gets very very hot. In fact, the temperature does not fall below 95 at night for several weeks. This makes it very difficult to do anything. We are fortunate to have LL there during summer to keep an eye on vandals and looters. He does plenty during summer. I helped him on numerous occasions. My understanding for any perceived "inactivity" is we are waiting for the park service to come up with the plan based on the feedback it collected last year. Nevertheless, if you feel something needs to be fixed, feel free to do it yourself. I am sure you can find plenty of help once the weather cools down and visitation picks up. The springs have had a long history of visitors maintaining the facilities. Please do not wait for anybody else. Bring all the materials you need to fix and just do it.
SilverBob

"Concerned Springer",  I don't have the answers to your questions.  I will be attempting to visit the springs via Steele Pass on September 20th.  I'll look around and post my findings here.
Salt Peter

Un you are always so verbose in your rant's against Lee. Why don't you take it upon yourself to spend the time out there and do some of the much needed repairs.
Concerned Springer
Can somebody tell me if the Sunrise pool’s cracks have been repaired and its rusty dilapidated flow pipe and valve have been replaced? If not, what has LL done this summer so far? There aren’t many visitors in the summer so he should be actively fixing and repairing the facilities. Otherwise, he’s just a squatter who lives on public land free of charge.  There are other projects at both springs. The bottoms of all pools at the Palm Springs need resurfacing. The valve in the Crystal has rusted through. Shower tub needs major scrubbing. If LL is too old he either needs to lead or he should step down to give his spot to a younger more energetic person.
By the way, has anybody seen LL showering before his soak?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!