Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
ride

"130.50.200.1" interesting...   anyone ever heard of geoIP?  [smile]
I'd ban that entire "ISP" if I were admin, but I am a BOFH.

I for one will be helping out where I can when we go out in Nov. that is, unless an army of "concerned springers" gets everything magically (or would that be "virtually") done first.

What will be needed to repair the pipeline at Palm spring? (other than a pickaxe and lots of elbow grease)

I would also like to thank Bob for his detailed report of Steele Pass, I hope your vehicle wasn't too badly damaged.

Encouraging yourself on an internet forum by using an alt is a sure sign you have no life...

SilverBob

Nice try!

"Unreg 2.0" and "Concerned Springer" both with the same IP Address! (130.50.200.1) 

Apparently, she and all her imaginary friends use the same computer. [crazy]
Unreg 2.0
Concerned Springer, do not get discouraged. There will be personal attacks by SPA and LL's drones but majority will silently agree with you.
Notice that none of these drones are discussing the issues. They just attack you personally.
knockknock

Mannnn, Boyyy, I thought MY pipes were RUSTY!
ride

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV-TR and DSM-5) inexplicably fails to detail Arsehole Personality Disorder. However, APD is classed on "Axis II" as an underlying pervasive or personality condition. A diagnosis of APD requires five or more of the following to be present for a significant period of time:

• Self-importance
  • Refusal to acknowledge or even comprehend social rules
  • Delusions of adequacy
  • Believes others would do just fine if only they were sensible like him
  • Beliefs appear to change to match the situation, but that's just other people being idiotic
  • Pride in their superior people skills
  • Recto-cranial inversion
  • Projection of all symptoms on this list onto those around them.

Terminology

There is significant debate and controversy as to whether APD should be renamed. Alternative suggestions for names include f**kwit personality disorder, festering sh**head personality disorder or just that f'ing arsehole.

Many who are labeled with "Arsehole Personality Disorder" feel it is unhelpful and stigmatizing as well as simply inaccurate. But then, they would, being arseholes.

Signs and symptoms

Other-destructive behavior can cover a wide range of activities. The most well-known and most recognizable symptom of an Arsehole patient is stress ulcers in others, with occasional outbursts of ranting. Arsehole Personality Disorder has been found to account for around 30% of hospitalizations for stress ulcers or hand injuries from punching walls

Treatment

The condition renders the patient not susceptible to normal therapies. Long-term psychotherapy only seems to encourage them. Skinnerian cattleprod application can produce practical results in many cases, and if it doesn't they almost certainly deserve it anyway.

Blanket party therapy is used with a high success rate in the armed forces, with only occasional recourse to fragging therapy being required. Some therapists have had great success treating Arsehole Personality Disorder with arsenic therapy, cyanide therapy or high-velocity lead therapy, but these treatments remain technically illegal.

Dutchoven

Concerned springer should seriously stop drinking out of the crystal pool.
James Sel

Next time I get called up for jury duty I'll show up with one of those hats. [tongue]
florida

(Un) Concerned,
Get lost.
SilverBob

Concerned Springer,  I found a solution to your problem!  Please watch carefully!

Big Jeff

Will somebody please post a picture of this wacknut so that the men in white coats will know who to pick up for the 72 Hour hold
James Sel

LMAO!

Looks like we are all going to die from a rusty pipe.
Concerned Springer

Another concerned springer who just came back contacted me with the following info:

The valve at the Sunrise has not been fixed. It’s still leaking and marking the wall with rust.

The valve at the Crystal is not located behind the wall. It’s the one in the channel by the crystals. It also leaks and the pipe is rusted out. What Silver Bon calls patina I call Iron Oxide. Rust adds iron ions to the pool water leading to iron overload through skin absorption. If visitors think they are getting mineral water, they are wrong. Iron ions block most of mineral absorption. Here are some issues with too much iron:

Excess iron in vital organs, even in mild cases of iron overload, increases the risk for liver disease (cirrhosis, cancer), heart attack or heart failure, diabetes mellitus, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, metabolic syndrome, hypothyroidism, hypogonadism, numerous symptoms and in some cases premature death. Iron mismanagement resulting in overload can accelerate such neurodegenerative diseases as Alzheimer’s, early-onset Parkinson’s, Huntington’s, epilepsy and multiple sclerosis.

Symptoms, signs and diseases resulting from too much iron (iron overload):

• chronic fatigue
  • joint pain
  • abdominal pain
  • liver disease (cirrhosis, liver cancer)
  • diabetes mellitus  
  • irregular heart rhythm
  • heart attack or heart failure
  • skin color changes (bronze, ashen-gray green)
  • loss of period
  • loss of interest in sex
  • osteoarthritis
  • osteoporosis
  • hair loss
  • enlarged liver or spleen
  • impotence
  • infertility
  • hypogonadism
  • hypothyroidism
  • hypopituitarism
  • depression
  • adrenal function problems
  • early onset neurodegenerative disease
  • elevated blood sugar
  • elevated liver enzymes
  • elevated iron (serum iron, serum ferritin)

Is this the kind of ambiance we want?

The visitor stayed at the Lower Springs, so he cannot report about Palm Springs.

Big Jeff

Oh it is so terrible to hear that the Springs have gone to crap and are in such disarray and nothing has been fixed ever! The pools are full of sand, the grass has died and the place is completely over grown.
Oh wait Oh wait I must be confused, Silver Bob say's that most is A OK, Hmmmm I think that the Springs are running just like they do.

Thanks Silver Bob for your report and for your recon on Steele.    Now may we commence the season.

SilverBob

Due to the amount of time we spent just getting to the springs, and the need to get my damaged truck back to camp, I didn't have as much time to look around as I'd like to have had. However, I did make some observations that I'd like to share.

Palm Springs:

The exposed pipe that Mitch photographed should be the highest priority repair issue of all, in my opinion. There's over 15 feet of pipe exposed, and it's only getting worse. Digging a trench in that tufa for the pipe will not be easy, but it's going to have to be done.

Both tubs were clean and running. The Wizard Pool was turned off, but it was obvious that it had just been cleaned and refilled. The water was way too hot for me to get in. The mineral build up that Mitch mentioned seems to have been at least partially addressed. The ridge is still there, but it's been scraped or sanded to remove those sharp points that build up over time. Does it need to be completely removed? As a matter of personal preference, as long as it doesn't get uncomfortable, I'd probably leave it alone. At the same time, it wouldn't bother me if someone took it upon himself to remove it. It's just not that big a deal to me.

The inlet valve for the Volcano Tub will not shut off. I recall someone rebuilding that valve last year, so maybe it's beyond repair and should be replaced. The drain valve opens and closes as it should.

All the palm trees around the Wizard Pool and shower area have been trimmed, with all the dead fronds trimmed up to about 10' above ground. 2 of the palms have had all the fronds completely removed. It appears that similar work is occurring near the volcano pool, but nothing was happening while we were there.

The shower and sink are in fine working order. I didn't have time to inspect the outhouse or take inventory of supplies.

Lower Springs:

Predictably, the lawn and pond areas are gorgeous! The grass is lush and healthy and the trees and bushes are attractively trimmed. I didn't have time to walk all around the camp area, so I didn't see any other campers around. We saw several burros wandering around camp, but I saw no droppings on the lawn. Maybe the fence is working.

The shower is working just fine, with both hot and cold water available at the turn of a valve. The tub itself didn't feel slippery or slimy at all. There were a few mesquite leaves on the bottom, consistent with what might be blown in by the typical afternoon breeze. In the time-honored Saline tradition, if you think it needs “major scrubbing”, go ahead and scrub it. Nobody will stop you. It's OK with me as it is.

The cracks in the Sunrise Pool seem to have been caulked with some type of brown sealer. I don't know what kind it is, or how well it will hold up in the sun, but I guess we'll find out. The pipe and valve have not been changed. I turned the valve off and the flow stopped completely. I opened it again and there seemed to be plenty of water flowing into the pool. Since that's exactly how it's supposed to work, I see no reason to mess with it. What some might call rust, I call patina, and I think it adds to the ambiance. I don't need shiny chrome plumbing fixtures and a squeeky clean shower tub in the middle of Saline Valley. If that's your thing, maybe you should try Furnace Creek Inn.

The Crystal Pool looked good, even though we arrived just before the posted cleaning time of 4:00. We did get a quick soak before heading back to camp (yes, we all showered first!). I didn't look at the valve, which is behind the short wall behind the sink, so I can't comment on its condition.

All in all, I believe that as folks gear up for the upcoming busy season, most will be quite pleased with the overall condition of the camp. Those things I mentioned that actually need work will get the attention they deserve, just as they always have. Meanwhile, those who like to snivel and complain about everything will have a nice lush shady lawn area from which to do so, just as they always have.

Happy First Day of Autumn!

Concerned Springer
""Concerned Springer", I don't have the answers to your questions. I will be attempting to visit the springs via Steele Pass on September 20th. I'll look around and post my findings here."

So, Silver Bob, what are the findings?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!