Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 4      1   2   3   4   Next
BigDaddyJEH

On one of my trips to the springs they were there.  They did not get involved at all with any of us and they did not do anything to improve the springs.  They worked hard in the canyons cleaning Tamarisk.  They seemed like a good group and I did talk to one of them for a long time.
Sam D.

We discussed the usage of herbicides by Sierra Club a while ago. Here's my post:

http://forum.salinepreservation.org/post/show_single_post?pid=1274703164&postcount=4&forum=191913

Sierra Club removed the page I linked to perhaps to hide the use of herbicides.

Since Sierra Club members stay at the springs during their work party, has anyone observed them doing anything at the springs or donating supplies or ?
Salt Peter

Thank you for the information. It is really sad the attitude of the Sierra Club in their actions. Some might be warranted but most aren't. They hate off-road vehicles and lack the foresight that one day a vehicle might be the only way they can access the great outdoors. Age, health, and losing the ability to hike/walk are examples that come to mind.

Most wreck chasers don't off-road to airplane crash sites. They hike. They enjoy the outdoors. If crash site debris was cleared hopefully it hadn't passed the amount of time to make it illegal to remove. Again, sad that this group decides what is worthy to be removed.

I'm certain I know one of the roads near Steele Pass they disguised. I've never driven it but every time I hike it I like to see if it has been used recently. Sometimes it has but mostly it is free of new tracks.

If they were purely about improving trails, cleaning up trash, and removing illegal grow sites I'd be ok with that. But they aren't. Too bad they didn't go to the Racetrack with their expertise to help restore the area with tire tracks. Same for the Badwater area that someone drove out onto.

Here's the link to their specific report on the hard work they did in Death Valley:

http://www.desertreport.org/?p=1986

If you look at their "outings" section on their main site I find it funny they are charged $20 in order to hike to the top of Telescope Peak. Unless they were covering transportation to Mahogany Flat the only fee is park entry and I'd bet most who go to Mahogany don't pay the fee. The campground is free as is trail access.

This group reminds me of the Friends Of The Inyos (FOTI). Didn't the park recently cite them for mixing harmful chemicals at the springs for their tamarisk removal on the Inyo side of SVR? I've had friends driving on legal roads to the Salt Tram Crossover Station told by FOTI that the road was not open to vehicular travel. He kindly told them it was a legal route and they should get out of the way of his vehicle.

Hi Desert Warrior

I don't know where to place this info, but thought it was important to report it.  As a member of the Sierra Club, I receive news letters from time to time.  In March 2016, Kate Allen took a group of Sierra Club members to Saline Valley.  Kate Allen is a Club leader and a Outings Chair for the Desert Committee and the Desert Report Outings Editor.  She said she was responsible for getting volunteers and working with the park rangers disguising illegal off-road routes and trash/debris pick ups at cabins and crash plane sites.  She said the first trip to Saline, quote ' were to camouflaged several illegal off-road routes.  The idea was to make the tracks much less obvious so drivers would not be temped to follow them."  To do this by placing brush and vegetative to simulate growing plants.  Then they raked the road surfaces to rough them up and added rocks to make them blend in with the rest of the terrain.  They also did this on the way out the south pass to Hwy 190.  They are planing for three trips for the next work season.  Check out their web site for the trips.  http://www.desertreport.org    Who knows what roads they consider illegal and hide.  I go to the springs about three times a year and sometimes I find it difficult to find the bat road turn off as well as the bat road to the springs.
Thunder58

What does the Palm Springs area need?
florida

There is a difference in the quality of such pipe. Do not get the Home Depot stuff if you can avoid it. A true farm irrigation supply store will handle the good stuff..
XPBC

Please advise me if the pvc pipe and fittings actually show up and will be used.  I am looking into 210' of 1-1/2" irrigation pipe that comes in a big roll as too eliminate connections every ten feet.
Dennis
SilverBob

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for offering to bring in supplies, it is greatly appreciated.  Currently, we expect to have enough pipe and fittings on hand by this weekend to complete the job.  Since we don't really have any place to store excess hardware, I don't want to encourage folks to bring too much, since you'll just end up hauling it out.  Concrete is not needed either, for two reasons.  First, since there is so little drop between the source and the shower, the flow is quite slow.  That creates a lot of build-up that necessitates replacing the pipes occasionally.  Concrete would make that much more difficult.  The second reason is that the NPS really doesn't want any more concrete poured without their permission.  If you've ever tried to get permission from a bureaucracy to do anything constructive, especially if it wasn't their idea, you'll understand why we don't want to go down that road.

Michelle and I will be arriving about mid-day tomorrow.  You'll find us in the white teardrop trailer.  Stop by and visit!  (Careful, though.  We might put you to work!)

winks

"Un" is a troll. Not worth responding to.
florida

Sorry I couldn't make Halloween but I might get out there in a little over a week. I will have my new rig and perhaps can carry a few things in if I know what is needed. How are the fire pits? i could bring very heavy trash bags and concentrate on hauling fire ring trash out. And if someone will specify hardware that is needed such as PVC pipe and fittings, I would be glad to bring them in.
If my truck hitch is installed, I could do some dragging if that is still needed.
Or I could just sit on my butt and complain, but Un seems to have a monopoly on that task.
Hi to Georg and Ria!
Salt Peter

I too can say I witnessed the hard work which went on with the aforementioned individuals.

The "un" was unseen.
bnctrsrock

I'm coming up this weekend and staying through Veterans day.  Would be happy to bring in supplies if anyone can let me know what would be helpful.  Is cement or pipes (if so what size diameter and length desired) still needed?  I will also volunteer my services to help out with any projects. 
oregonjohn

I don't want to clutter up the Camp Needs thread, but let me tell you what has happened at the Springs. On Sunday Nov. 2, Lee came up with the air tank and we (Georg, Lee and myself) blew out the pipes to Volcano and Wizard. This helped with getting the flow back to normal. Dennis aka Hornhead took all the screens off and scrubbed them clean as a whistle. We then cleaned both pools and did some other maintenance in the distribution pond and the little source. When all was done, the flows were great and the pools looked very inviting.
Commando Paul and his group didn't want anybody running over the pipe across the road so they got the wheelbarrow and put out rocks so people would not drive over that section over Halloween.

OJ
James Sel

Now that's entertainment [wave]
SilverBob

This is a typical example of how "Un" hurls baseless accusations at the rest of us because she doesn't like the Camp Host(s).

Care to elaborate on the "projects" I wrote of that aren't "done"?   I called attention to the pipe at Palm Spring and the valve to the Volcano Tub that needed attention.  There was work done over Halloween weekend, and there will be more work done next weekend.  Everyone I talked to that was in camp over Halloween thought the place was in superb condition. 

By the way, did you scrub those deadly iron ions off the tub?  I actually hope you do "fix few things" next time.  That's how things have historically gotten done at the springs; visitors see something they don't like and they fix it!  They don't just start bitching from behind their computers that someone else needs to do it.  Why, I'll bet you and all your imaginary friends could have the whole camp in first class shape in no time!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!