Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment  
Jukebox Mark

Promulgating regulations you cannot enforce is the fastest way to lose legitimacy. I've been railing against the BLM about this for years. Inconsistent enforcement is worse, because it just enforces risk-takers tendencies in 'risky ' behavior.

The drone phenomenon will not go away from Saline unless users are unified and consistent in self policing.

One more instance of Saline being a microcosm. Outside intervention is sure to be draconian in the near term, and embarrassing for the NPS in the long run.

There were some jackasses flying a drone at the racetrack today but they left before I got back to the parking area. I next spotted them at Ubehebe. Didn't see them flying it there though.

I'm worried the fireworks and lanterns and dogs are going to bring about negative repercussions from the NPS. I'd bet in the least there will be an increase in ranger patrols.
peneumbra

@Silver Bob: Speaking of flying things, remember that song from the '60s?

"Up, up and away
In my beautiful
My beautiful
BABOOOON!"
luckypabst

Good to know. I've often wanted to fly a plane when I'm out there. I suppose they're as obnoxious to others as the drones are.

Chris
speakeasy

https://www.nps.gov/deva/learn/management/rules-and-regulations.htm

Unmanned Aircraft
Launching, landing, or operating an unmanned aircraft (model airplanes, quadcopters, drones) from or on land and waters administered by the National Park Service within the boundaries of Death Valley National Park is prohibited except as approved in writing by the Superintendent.

ACTIVITIES THAT REQUIRE A PERMIT:
• Commercial filming of motion pictures, television or other filmmaking methods or sound tracks involving the use of professional casts, settings or crews, other than bona fide newsreel or news television crew.
• Any commercial photography
• Still photography of vehicles, or other articles of commerce or models for the purpose of commercial advertising or any such activity which requires a degree of management as determined by the Superintendent..
Seattle Mitch

Drones! Here in Washington state it's perfectly legal to thow rocks at 'em (I think)! That almost always changes the flight pattern

WOW!! Now we are to that point of turning people in. Reminds me of  East Germany in the 80's 
SilverBob

WOW!  There are gorillas in a National Monument?  Which one? 
JayOtheMountains

You could turn the video evidence into the national park and they could get fined 1) for not acquiring proper commercial permits to film; and 2) flying unauthorized drone for said commercial purposes.

I turned in a gorilla photographer who was shooting illegally at a national monument near to me and he was handed a nice fine.
DVExile

Ugh.  The drones.

So you can now carry firearms in the park but can only discharge them for licensed hunting.  When does drone season open?

Last year an off-road fabrication company posted to YouTube with footage of their vehicle headed down Lippincott shot with a drone.  So double whammy, illegal drone use and illegal commercial photography/videography (they had no application or approval for the commercial).  No consequences as far as I'm aware.
luckypabst

Camp host was sorely missed over the holiday.

Chris
florida

Yeah, good luck with that "ask politely" stuff.
Lysdexic

Or <gasp> politely ask the offenders to knock it off.
peneumbra

If there are problems with noisy people, or any other issues, simply pick up one of the white courtesy phones and dial 11 to connect with the concierge.
(Note: for room service, dial 16.)
Terawanderer

I'll try again.....Does anyone know when we are getting a new host ??  We can use one....There was a drone flying today and  a lot of noise after 10 pm last night in the Wizard Pool.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution