Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4
SalineOldTimer

Bad hygiene is not limited to the Palm Springs. A full time year around host at the Lower Springs seems to unable to maintain pools except Crystal where his soaks alone after having his minions inform everyone that it’s his prerogative. The camp host will tell to leash your dog but that is all he will do. He grows a lawn for his burro friends down from the fenced lawn. He wastes cold water watering the burro lawn and never collects burro leavings sticking it to the visitors. If your shower does not have cold water, you know where it went. If you cannot enjoy the place without horse flies, you know what attracts them.

sunny okanogan

the latest time in the day to clean the pool is a 1:30 finish, then only fill about 2/3rds at most. the pool will fill as bodies displace the water. 2/3rds full cools off quicker. in the morning the tennis ball and hose can used to " vacuum " debris out of the pool by opening the outlet valve place the ball at the drain and use the hose to remove sand, hairs,ect. I'm talking about the " Wizard " , don't really use the volcano so I can't talk.
trigger

I’ve said it before and i’ll say it again. A nice high quality wood sign next to each pool explaining a set of rules and etiquette would be extremely helpful. Last time I suggested it you would have thought I was planning on bulldozing the springs with some of the reply’s. Yes the less signs the better but sometimes it’s necessary. In this case I think it would be great. A lot of folks just don’t know what to do. We all help educate people while we’re there but a sign is there permanently to educate. Whether they follow the rules is another story but I’m willing to bet the majority will. Some of course won’t but that’s when someone can point to the sign. Some people get fired up when you explain the proper etiquette without a sign because they think your just being a possessive dick even if your super polite. Maybe just throw 10 basic rules to follow on the signs and keep them a nice rustic natural wood that flows with the area. Nothing obnoxious that’s gonna piss off the park service.
Salt Peter

Depending on how often you go and where you camp it will become very clear how to clean the pools. I don't camp at the lower springs often so I'm not as well versed in cleaning all those pools vs. those at Palm Spring (Volcano/Wizard). I learned from those who came before me and I learn something new every time I go. There's no signage about how to clean the pools because most have different ways to do it. Whenever someone was cleaning the pools I'd head over so I could see how it is done and follow suit.

Best time to clean from what I've seen is sometime after the dawn patrol has finished soaking. You want to allow time for the pool to cool down to a temp where people can soak for the sunset. The Volcano pool doesn't get too hot anyway so it is more of an issue with the Wizard pool.
sunny okanogan

Geo, did you clean a tub while you were there or talk to any of the campers that you thought were camping too close? Talk to any dog owners? No accusations, just wondering. If the folks that know and love the Springs don't step up then we'er in trouble. The spirit of the upper springs was always to take care of it our selves. If we don't do it who will? 

Salt Peter

The NPS is the governing body for the springs since it is inside DVNP. It is truly sad that this place is being loved to death. An active seasonal host at the upper springs would help with all the issues going on in the past couple years.
Geothermal Shane

I just have a few observations to share from my recent visit concerning the practices of springs visitors lately- 1) there is a great abundance of dog feces surrounding the pools and camp areas, 2) the pools are not being cleaned regularly, 3) folks are camping way too close to the pools

These practices appear to be an unintentional threat created as a result of the springs increasing popularity with careless, unaware people. Regardless, the scenario is becoming reminiscent of that which has previously led to the elimination of other hot springs, i.e. oh my god hot well. It seems possible that Inyo county health and nps officials may only tolerate such sluminess for so long before further management plans, should they see evidence of poor camp hygiene effecting the water itself.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution