Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
Sam D.

"Pool Cleaning at ... PM" sign at Crystal makes it much easier.
P3Tacco

I grudgingly say that a simple sign might be a good idea. Even if it is just a "closed for cleaning" sign when the pool is being drained.
Geothermal Shane

With all respect, yes I did participate in cleaning both pools while there, but I didn't feel empowered to ask anyone to relocate their camp or manage their pets. I think cleaning the pools is really simple and intuitive and can be done anytime so long as it is done, anyone who has cleaned a bathtub before can do it. But perhaps it's not that obvious to many people and there should be some small sign to educate.

I would support a decision to prohibit camping within a wide range around the pools, perhaps a perimeter roughly from the outhouse to the higher sites along the steele pass road. This would promote both the sanctity of the soaking and the cleanliness of the source area. There is obviously abundant space between the palm and lower springs that is often not used as people prefer to camp so close.

I read someone on the fb page comment that it's turning into burning man out there and I have to agree that there is an irritating rave like vibe emerging. It looks similar to what is happening in Joshua Tree NP, the campgrounds are no longer quiet and peaceful places to enjoy the desert, they are becoming party hubs full of boisterous noisy crowds. Perhaps a bit of restriction would help prevent the springs from suffering such a fate.

Ultimately, excessive and careless human impact may effect the water quality which is the scariest part. If human tracked pathogens (including those derived from dog feces) are found in the water it is going to be a big reason for the nps to choose the extreme measures that have already been proposed in their management plan.

Food4more

Like to see all you folks and the concern on these issues. I think the limited amount of cleaning supplies should indicate that it's not a big chore cleaning the pools. Wonder how some tubs at home look? Yuck. Some bleach and some scrubbing. Done.

The dogs off leash and their mess is too much. Nobody is above the law/rules.

If you're going to have a large party and want to make lots of noise, perhaps a site further away from the pools would be better.

JEH, I also hope it gets better once the tent city/circus leaves.
Sam D.

So, will the forum's High Priests approve the creation of the sticky threads?
Seattle Mitch

The presence of a lot of dogs running offleash at camp also affects the coyotes. Personally I really enjoy listening to the serenades from the coyotes. Listening to your dog barking, however cool you seem to think it is...just not the same!

LOL, I would never call the springs that!!

My problem is that I got a job offer in London that I cannot refuse.  It is an opportunity of a life time.  

Unfortunately, that means that I will not be at the springs very much or ever again.  I love the springs, they have helped me through so many problems in my life!  I will only be there 1 or 2 more times before I relocate.  I want the times there to be amazing!  I may have to wait until the tent city people leave and take their dogs away.  It may get better then!
Sparky of SoCal

You don’t want to call the place a “Shit Hole”, you know what kind of problems that will bring!

peneumbra

Next time I come out, I'll bring my pack of pet wolverines.

They "love" dogs...
BigDaddyJEH

I love dogs, but the dogs running around in packs, raiding camps, barking, shitting everywhere, is a pain!  It is ruining the springs and I go there for peace and to get centered.  it is going to ruin the springs for everyone!  
Seattle Mitch

People know the rules. People know that their dogs are not supposed to be off leash in a national park. People know they should be cleaning up after themselves, their offspring and their dogs. People probably even realize they should put some space between their campsite and the pools. It’s just that certain people seem to think that they are above the rules and will just be a-holes on occasion.

[biggrin][rofl]

That's a good idea for starters. No commandments. Don't want to get the separation of church and state folks too worked up.
Sam D.

Fine, no lights. Though I thought it was a pretty good idea [cool][idea]

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg 

Meanwhile, may I suggest creating sticky threads right here on this very forum that list 10 commandments, suggested behavior etc? Perhaps, we can ask the Moderators of the Facebook site can do the same?

Salt Peter

Trigger +2.

Sad but that's where we're at now. If SPA needs funds for procuring the signage I'd be more than willing to chip in. Not sure if it would be considered an "improvement" per the agreement with the park. Hopefully not.

I'm fairly sure the rules are posted at both springs but they are faded and need replacement. But retards and inbreeds don't read the rules. I remember my first time at the springs and I read the rules and learned what I could to do what I can and do. I've learned from this forum as well.

Sam the Vegas style lights would attract more youtube broadcasters and dipshit tourists. Like ravens to something shiny they would come.
Sam D.

trigger, +1 for the signs and flyers. Retards and inbreeds will ignore but most will follow.

If it was up to me I'd install Vegas style light signs visible for miles but a lot of folks here do not like signs. Just wait until the anti-sign brigade shows up [wink]

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution