Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
trigger

Those damn graders bring a tear to my eye. I envision those graders leading a flock of minivans into Saline like a momma duck with its chicks following.
James Sel

We need ungraded rougher roads too.
peneumbra

A concierge. We need a concierge.
trigger

Hi Florida! 100% agree!!
florida

As many folks know, I do my share to clean up after myself and others. Informing others, however politely, of the protocols and rules earned me enough ugly responses to last a lifetime. I think we need an assistant host at Palm Spring.
Salt Peter

After several days at the springs recently I'll give my first hand impression about goings on at Palm Spring.

People leave your dogs at home. Trying to enjoy the outdoors and people's dogs are barking and running all around is not ok. Seeing dog crap in multiple places where I've never seen it before is not ok. If your dog comes at night and wants to check out my camp it is going to get run off one way or another. Same thing I'd do for burros or coyotes. The latter being native to the area. Should there be some issue related to disease spread by domestic dog feces it will bring a lot of negative attention from controlling agencies. We don't want that.

Since this thread is discussing hygiene I'll keep it at that. The crapper at Palm Spring is FULL. The NPS knows. 

It was a pleasant surprise to actually see people using the foot bath before getting in the pools at Palm Spring. There was even a group that arrived for one evening with a leader that actually requested everyone in his group to shower before using the tubs and then the foot bath. So either he's been to the springs before and knows the etiquette or through social media he's found out. Either way it was nice to see happening.

encore889

Sam,

I found this post on one of the links u provided above... he complains about crowds and he friggin links his instagram to FB and tags the crap out of it!!!  I'm so aggravated right now... Sorry to say but Saline if fkd...  please message the guy and all the sites... we need to take them all  down!!

[mad][mad][nono][nono][bawl][bawl]

Little bit of heaven on scorched earth. First day we rolled in there was very little activity at the lower springs, save for the helpful “regular” who was always happy to lend a hand. Approaching New Year it got a lot more crowded (like ridiculous Christmas lights on every tent and EDM blasting at the upper springs). I have a serious aversion to people and crowds so this trip reminded me why I love the solitude of the back country. •

#exploremore #getoutside #hotsprings #deathvalley #salinevalley #oasis #familycamping #desertlife #camping #newyear #hiking #myhappyplace #roadtrip #offroading #toyotaoffroad #exploreyourworld #hiddengems

+ 1 for small tasteful signs by the pools. There is also an Additional Info box by the Book Exchange at the Lower Springs. I saw somebody dropped flyers there with few good points.
Of course this has to be coordinated with LL.

trigger

Dog problem is the worst right now in my opinion. Our dog was attacked twice by 2 different dogs. One of the times we were walking our dog near Volcano on a leash and a dog charged. I was about to launch it over Steele Pass and it stopped. Another entered our camp and got into our trash bag as we were in camp cooking. Sneaky little bastard! Couldn’t find the owner. Again, just a small sign with 10 basic rules at each tub is what we need. One in the pooper is fine too but they need to be at the tubs. Some people just stop in for a soak then leave the area so it’s important for the signs to be visible to most folks where they are most likely to be seen, at the tubs. When a sign is there it’s harder for people to say, “oh, I didn’t know”. I truly believe it would be helpful. Hell, what’s it’s gonna hurt???
Sam D.

Here's a small list of Facebook sites. The first one belongs to the park. None of them lists suggested code of behavior, rules etc.
There are countless personal pages.

https://www.facebook.com/salinevalley/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/salinevalleywarmsprings/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Saline-Valley-Hotsprings/1434349580116147

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Saline-Valley-California/105608202807146

https://www.facebook.com/rocky.myers.904/media_set?set=a.1556032517799327.1073741844.100001777828977&type=3
knockknock

Said it before,say it again,TOO MUCH INFORMATION is/has ruined springs
Seattle Mitch

Jesus. Fucking. Christ. There’s an SV facebook page? That helps to explain the uptick in clueless visitors.

Please! Someone hack that page down!

Just back from a week out. Here are some observances...

Yes, there are many who do not know how to act at Saline. I witnessed several parties doing so. One thing I do that I noted many many others do not is inform people of the practices at the springs. The basics such as showering, washing feet, and leashing dogs go to folks who are in passing (we all see/know them, as they're usually on a tour of some kind). I lead by example by cleaning up the first full day I am there. Upper or Lower, it doesn't matter. Then I follow it up with at least one cleaning per day after. Once people see someone new to camp cleaning they tend to be inquisitive and start to help out. By day 3 I had 2-3 others jump in and help.

I understand internet bitching, but a great thing that 'old timers' and returning folks as myself can do is engage with people as soon as they get in. Set the precedent from the start and you'll see how much quicker people around you get. I even inspired the camp host to pick up some donkey poop around the perimeter of the lower springs. Yes, there are some problems. But we all need to be representatives of the springs if you want things to be clean and operate "as they have been". Call people out for not washing, unleashed dogs, not picking up. Tell them when rough cleaning times are. Tell them to not camp on the Travertine. Don't be a dick about it, but my experience was enhanced by a simple courtesy conversation as people arrived.
encore889

I was the one that said the springs are turning in to a mini burning man.  I posted several times on FB talking about closing the group.  saline is getting too much marketing and attracting all the douchebags that wanna party like burning man/vegas and leave their crap everywhere... I didn't have a problem with dogs off leash at first... but a big brown dog named chief, not sure what breed was stealing food and clothing.  his owner was nice, but the dog wasn't.  there were about 20 dogs off leash just running around peeing and shitting everywhere.  this was on new years... i counted about 100 cars there.  so there were at least 200ppl there.  there was a line at the toilet for the upper springs and it got pretty disgustingly full... slippery slope... it's degrading fast.  I agree that a large rules sign should be made and posted in the bathroom.  SO people read it while doing their business.  I haven't read a sign that had all the rules on it.  just ones that say we aim to please, keep the bathroom clean...

there are some discussions about the dog poo and rules/cleanliness, and children etc on the FB group now. 
Hopefully it will make a difference, but i doubt it...

Build the wall!

I think that signage creates more clutter and won't inspire a single idiot to change their ways. All the rules are already posted anyhow, and that should be sufficient proof of the futility of the signage concept.

Bad behavior by bovine urbanite campers is of course not limited to Saline. I see the sort of behavior described here practically everywhere I go. It sucks for sure and it never ceases to amaze and piss me off. And it's sure to get worse. Landmines, anyone?

I like the idea of pushing camping further from the springs, but to where? San Bernardino? Sounds promising ...
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.