Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 4      1   2   3   4   Next
Randy

The toilet at Palm spring had not been pumped when we left there on Friday.  Getting real full.
BigDaddyJEH

I called and E-mailed them already.  I was just looking for confirmation before I call them again.   
JayOtheMountains

Probably not, but you can call the park service facilities department at 760-786-3272 and lodge a complaint. I've called. They need emptying.
BigDaddyJEH

Great point peneumbra!!

Nobody answered my questions about the pit toilets!  Did they get emptied?
peneumbra

Use the slingshots on the owners, not the dogs.
Seattle Mitch

I don’t think “gentle asking” is gonna work. Like I said before, people already know the dogs are supposed to be on a leash. I’m up for the slingshot technique.

Not sure where anyone was suggesting poisoning dogs. I don't believe that's the solution either. Having a sling shot in camp goes a long way for conditioning animals (burros, coyotes, and now other canines) that raiding camps is bad. There is also an ample supply of rocks in the area. Most of the raiding burros and coyotes know the different disposition and posturing of humans who camp in the area.
BigDaddyJEH

Does anyone know if the Pit Toilets were emptied?  

I agree with myenzie!  We need to gentle ask the people with the dogs to pick up after them, keep them from barking all the time, and keep them on a lead. 

The dogs had a negative impact on my last to trips to the valley! [frown]

They were still amazing trips and the springs are a great joy in my life!

myenzie

I do not think that intentionally harming someone's dog is the right way to deal with this problem.  In fact, I think the idea of spreading information about what is poisonous or only likely to cause distress or illness and suggesting it should be used is really, really sad.

It appears that the information this post referred to has been removed; thank you to whomever had the decency to do so.
peneumbra

Maybe some of these people need to be Bermanized.
Salt Peter

Hippie Chris from Moab. He's camped midway between lower and Palm Spring in a white full size pick up and hardside camper with a wood burning stove. He was there last new years too. Apparently he's a vet who has some gulf one issues that can have him unable to move one week and then running up to the upper (natural) springs a few days later. Hmmm
I've never seen him bother cleaning a pool or doing anything for the springs.

Think his 30 calendar days are just about up.

Apparently the group from Utah who were camped west of the Volcano Pool in the sturdy tent were happy with their ability to be there from before Christmas til last week. More than 30 days but not in one calendar year. Think they had a dog too.

LL must know how long these long term residents are there. Hope he's got his logbook ready for the end of the year when they show up again.
encore889

Just fyi, re dogs... there is guy there that is staying there long term.  I met him on new years.  I forget his name, but he has a dog named Chief... Looks like a irish wolfhound. 

http://connsy.tgcsitechecker.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Irish-Wolfhound.jpg

Always off leash and owner no where to be found.  Met them separately.  I didn't know he was the owner.  Anyways, the dog has been stealing food, clothing and harasses other dogs.  So if you are going in this month look out.  Apparently LL already told him to put his dog on a leash numerous times, but I guess some people get a pass and don't need to follow NPS rules. 

Trigger and Dig have hilarious posts recently. Good stuff. Thanks for the levity.
DIG

This is for the dog owners

Attached Images
jpeg FB_IMG_1517288336983.jpg (82.99 KB, 9 views)

James Sel

OK Trigger, that quacks me up.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution