Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 6      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next   »
SilverBob

I've travelled that road twice.  First time I was on my dirt bike and it was a piece of cake.  The second time was with the PanamintValley.com group.  We had about a half dozen drivers of various levels of experience and rigs ranging from a stock Tacoma to my lifted Hi-Lux.  We all made it, but it was a bit of work to get a couple of the rigs through.  There are only a couple spots where you might have problems, but if you do have problems there, things could go sideways (literally) in a hurry.

The good news is that the first questionable spot isn't too far down from the top.  If you get there and decide you can't or don't want to continue, it's easy to turn around and go back up.  Once you get through the first side hill section though, it would be quite difficult if not impossible to  go back up.

So, if you're asking "Can I make it?"  I dunno.  I've never seen you drive.  A group of experienced drivers should have no issues, but I don't suggest trying it alone.
mikeb

I don't have any info on this road.  You may want to post your question on :  panamintvalley.com/forum.    I have gotten good road info from the members on this site in the past. 
OpenTrackRacer

This is a long shot but...  Has anyone ever taken the road from Coyote Flat down to Big Pine?  I'm trying to find out its condition and difficulty.

Thanks!
geekyrocketguy

^I thought the NPS said it would stop grading Racetrack Rd and allow it to deteriorate in order to reduce the traffic going out there?
kurt765

Went to the Racetrack via Ubehebe on Saturday 5/27. Per NPS graded a few weeks ago at least from the volcano to Teakettle Junction and a little beyond. Reverts to hellish washboard along the playa to the junction with Lippincott. Grading machine was parked by Teakettle. I wish they would do the part along the Racetrack Playa itself, because that part is awful. You can't even go faster to get on top of it, so I would say that section at least is as bad as ever. Saw a passenger car there.
Explored into Hidden Valley a bit and it was also well graded and smooth.
genocache

No I haven't left yet. No set time for me to go and life conspires against me.
slash2

Oriental Wash was no problem a few weeks ago, but the highlight of that route was Gold Point, a fun spot to stop and look at all the old mining paraphernalia, especially in the old bar, that would be a fun place to spend a couple of hours before finding a campsite.

Genocache, did you make to the Magruder Corridor? I'm considering a hot springs tour trip up that way in June and I was wondering if it's passable that time of year.

/2
slash2

Thanks for the input everyone! Nothing like learning about a new road to try or a new spot to visit to to get me excited about packing up and heading out. Enjoy your trip to Idaho genocache.

/2
dautremont

The Oriental Wash road turn off from DV road is hard to find.  The road is very sandy and fun to drive.  Check out the ruins at Stateline at the east end of the Oriental wash road.  There is a nice, slightly challenging trail from there going a little northwest toward Varnan spring, then turn north to Lida, then back east toward Gold Point.  A fun day drive...
genocache

From Elk City, ID to Darby, MT, 101 miles.  https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nezperceclearwater/recarea/?recid=16482
slash2

Now you've got me curious again, I grew up in Idaho but I've never heard of the Magruder Corridor, mind filling me in on that one?
genocache

Slash, I am thinking of doing the Oriental Wash route, Never been that way so I cannot say what there is to see. I am heading up to do the Magruder Corridor in Idaho from Rainbow Basin near Barstow via DV and Black Rock.
slash2

That's right, now I remember, but what would the route from Gold Point to there be? I see some possibilities but i can't tell from Google maps which way Genocache is reffering to. Is it Oriental Wash that plugs into DV road south of Crankshaft junction or do you jog north from Oriental Wash  at the CA NV border and come straight into Crankshaft junction.
I know the correct answer is take your time and try them all, but I'm just curious to know if there is one route that's more interesting than the other.
Salt Peter

Crankshaft Junction is before the Crater mine when coming to Eureka from DV proper. Look on a map for DV and the Grapevine Entrance Station near Scotty's Castle and Ubehebe. Follow that dirt road north. Before turning west to Crater you will be at Crankshaft.
slash2

Genocache, would you mind detailing that route out a little bit for me, I've heard of Crankshaft Junction but I'm not remembering where it is. I'm considering an option like that as part of a big loop through Black Rock Desert, Nothern Nevada and Death Valley in early May as well. What is there cool to see and do between Gold Point and Steel Pass? 

/2
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!