Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 5      1   2   3   4   Next   »
OpenTrackRacer

Thanks for the additional trail report.  We're in a group with three Wrangler Unlimited Rubicons (one on 35" tires) and several lifted Xterras on 33" tires so I think we'll be in good shape.
dautremont

I drove the coyote loop summer 2016 from bishop to big pine.  Very easy up the hill, through the flats, and down the initial plateau heading south.  then it gets hairy - there is a sign posted that "most difficult "rating ahead, and they mean it.  a few tight spots for wider vehicles, then some large boulders to negotiate over / around - easy to get high centered.  Then very loose, sandy. gravelly, and steep downhill, until the flats west of Big Pine.  Once you are past the big boulders it is not so bad.  Best to drive it from Bishop to Big Pine, to get familiar.  Of course, conditions change all the time.  I drove a lifted Grand Vitara with rear locker and 31" tires.  Very fun but challenging...
OpenTrackRacer

Thanks for the feedback.  Didn't even think to look on YouTube.  Road doesn't look too bad at all.

We're going to drive up the "normal" way from Bishop but since we're heading south anyway, it would be nice to try something new for once.  We're in a good size group with capable vehicles so I don't anticipate any problems.

Thanks again!
Salt Peter

Depends on what you're driving and your experience level driving off road. From what I understand it is a fairly technical section. Once you're up on the flat it is fairly easy. Why not come from Bishop?
Ranger Ric

Just watched the youtube video of the road...you should get a good idea of what you will be facing...

SilverBob

I've travelled that road twice.  First time I was on my dirt bike and it was a piece of cake.  The second time was with the PanamintValley.com group.  We had about a half dozen drivers of various levels of experience and rigs ranging from a stock Tacoma to my lifted Hi-Lux.  We all made it, but it was a bit of work to get a couple of the rigs through.  There are only a couple spots where you might have problems, but if you do have problems there, things could go sideways (literally) in a hurry.

The good news is that the first questionable spot isn't too far down from the top.  If you get there and decide you can't or don't want to continue, it's easy to turn around and go back up.  Once you get through the first side hill section though, it would be quite difficult if not impossible to  go back up.

So, if you're asking "Can I make it?"  I dunno.  I've never seen you drive.  A group of experienced drivers should have no issues, but I don't suggest trying it alone.
mikeb

I don't have any info on this road.  You may want to post your question on :  panamintvalley.com/forum.    I have gotten good road info from the members on this site in the past. 
OpenTrackRacer

This is a long shot but...  Has anyone ever taken the road from Coyote Flat down to Big Pine?  I'm trying to find out its condition and difficulty.

Thanks!
geekyrocketguy

^I thought the NPS said it would stop grading Racetrack Rd and allow it to deteriorate in order to reduce the traffic going out there?
kurt765

Went to the Racetrack via Ubehebe on Saturday 5/27. Per NPS graded a few weeks ago at least from the volcano to Teakettle Junction and a little beyond. Reverts to hellish washboard along the playa to the junction with Lippincott. Grading machine was parked by Teakettle. I wish they would do the part along the Racetrack Playa itself, because that part is awful. You can't even go faster to get on top of it, so I would say that section at least is as bad as ever. Saw a passenger car there.
Explored into Hidden Valley a bit and it was also well graded and smooth.
genocache

No I haven't left yet. No set time for me to go and life conspires against me.
slash2

Oriental Wash was no problem a few weeks ago, but the highlight of that route was Gold Point, a fun spot to stop and look at all the old mining paraphernalia, especially in the old bar, that would be a fun place to spend a couple of hours before finding a campsite.

Genocache, did you make to the Magruder Corridor? I'm considering a hot springs tour trip up that way in June and I was wondering if it's passable that time of year.

/2
slash2

Thanks for the input everyone! Nothing like learning about a new road to try or a new spot to visit to to get me excited about packing up and heading out. Enjoy your trip to Idaho genocache.

/2
dautremont

The Oriental Wash road turn off from DV road is hard to find.  The road is very sandy and fun to drive.  Check out the ruins at Stateline at the east end of the Oriental wash road.  There is a nice, slightly challenging trail from there going a little northwest toward Varnan spring, then turn north to Lida, then back east toward Gold Point.  A fun day drive...
genocache

From Elk City, ID to Darby, MT, 101 miles.  https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nezperceclearwater/recarea/?recid=16482
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!