Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
Smiffy1892

Great to hear! Thanks all!
Bob

I agree, the road is good and you shouldn't have any problems with your Escape. There are 1 or 2 sections that are steep and a bit loose but a little running start will get you through. I saw a Mercedes and a Tesla up at Cerro Gordo last time I was there.
FayeG

I went up to Cerro Gordo from keeler a few weeks ago and any vehicle can do it. It's a very nicely maintained dirt road. You'll want good brakes for the way down.:)
Smiffy1892

Bob - thinking of heading up to cero gordo from keeler side - how’s that road heading up? I have a lifted fzj80 but I’m thinking of taking my Ford Escape as will be doing a ton of road driving.....how’s that road up to Cerro?
Thanks
Ian
Bob

We drove up the Swansea road to the Burgess Mine and then south to Cerro Gordo and out the beginning of June. Road was passable in well equipped 4x4's. We had lifted Tacoma, Jeep Wrangler and a 4Runner. Needed lockers in a couple places but a good off roader would not have any problem. Don't try this road in a stock 4x4 with street tires.
mlmorrison

Has anyone gone from Cerro Gordo south to the top of the Swansea Rd/Burgess Mine lately? Thanks.
Smiffy1892

That's what i needed to know - short visit to the springs for me this weekend so I'll stick to the south pass!
Thanks!
SilverBob

The top of Cerro Gordo Road starts at 8200 ft. and drops through a valley that doesn't get much sun this time of year.  Given the amount of snow I saw at the top of the North Pass (1000 ft. lower), I doubt you'll be able to get through.

If you decide to try it, Be prepared because the likelihood of seeing anyone else up there is pretty slim!

Don't forget to post a report here, one way or the other if you go.
Smiffy1892

anyone have any thoughts on the cerro gordo road into saline valley - never visited Cerro before. Looking at heading in on Fri morning.
Anyone any ideas on snow up there?
Driving a lifted landcruiser with 4wd.
thanks
Ian
Jezus53

Lots of patches of snow and ice on Hunter Mountain Pass as of 12/31. I lost traction for a few seconds on an ice patch on a really steep portion right into a hairpin turn so that was fun. It was my first time through the pass but it seemed like it was in pretty good condition. Just be mindful of snow/ice in the upper elevations and it should go well. For reference my vehicle is a lifted Impreza so I would imagine any 4x4 would be fine. It all depends on who's behind the wheel!

Hunter Pass 1.jpg  Hunter Pass 2.jpg 

4runner doa

Cerro Gordo coming down towards Saline Valley is a little rocky but nothing too bad. White Mountain Talc road was recently graded but there's some big sharp rocks sticking out of the shoulders. We took Hunter Mountain over to Teakettle Junction and it was in good shape. Had some ice on the backside doing the switch backs from one of the springs coming out of the hill but otherwise it's fine.

I know it's more Panamint than Saline, but Goler Wash was in good shape. Not a lot of sand but a little muddy from the springs running down the middle. Mengel Pass was rocky but mild compared to a couple years ago. I did the whole thing in 2wd unlocked from Goler. High clearance recommended though.
Sparky of SoCal

Went up to Cerro Gordo starting at Swansea and it really hasn't changed much since last year. Dropped down to Lee Flats and that road is a little ratty in the wash but there are numerous lines around rock out cropping. Not a Subaru kind of road but other off-road type can get through it. If your asking if you can make it you probably can't.
mdskier

The final Warm Springs road sandy section before Bat Rock pitches you up/down like a roller coaster.
otherwise rest of road is in average condition. I can see why people veer to side or even off road to avoid.
not maintained by county. Volunteers could smooth it with the drag hitch mechanism.
Kevin Mokracek

According to Inyo County Roads Department White Mountain Talc Road should be passable again by mid October.  They will be heading in soon with heavy equipment.
Kevin Mokracek

I tried driving the White Mountain Talc Road to Bonham Mine yesterday 8/26.   On the way in past Lee Flat I came across Miller Towing trying to make their way up the backside of Cerro Gordo to recover a stuck vehicle.  Miller Towing was on their way back out the Talc road to go around and up the front of Cerro Gordo.  He said he had spent 4 hours trying to dig and pick his way to the Cerro Gordo turn off and couldn't make it reporting 4' deep washouts across the road in a few spots.  I was towing a off road teardrop with a Rubicon Unlimited.  He said if I dropped the trailer I might be able to make it but no way with the trailer.  I ended up spending a nice night in Lee Flat.  
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution