Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
bb

Those roads are on the BLM side of the valley so it's probably marginally easier than trying to get that idea through the NPS. I'm guessing with the abandonment of claims and cessation of mining, there's no more independent maintenance allowed and it's clearly not a priority from the Ridgecrest office. Once they get degraded enough, they'll probably be closed and absorbed into the wilderness..

Curious how the road to Beveridge has deteriorated as I got my old Subaru up to the cabin in Feb of 2018 and March of 2019. There definitely were some spots blown out from flash floods, but with a slow & steady approach, it was doable. I've driven a road to the mouth of Pat Keyes & hiked to Badwater Springs, but never saw a road going that way. From what I've heard and read, it doesn't seem like the Keynot Canyon/Snowflake Talc Mine road has been drivable since around 2010. 

Sure lots has changed in 25 years! 
Gracie Grader

March 22, 2020. Tried to drive to the mouths of Beveridge, Keynot, Bad Water Canyons - not possible.  Gee, it was 25 years ago!  

All that area has had huge washouts. There is evidence of people trying to drive up to these canyons, all to no avail, and we left some elusive evidence of our false attempts as well.  We did see and talk to someone who had driven up to Beveridge by a route other than the three we had tried, but they had much bigger tires and higher clearance on their large SUV.

Given that we had to use our vehicle and its tires to get us out of the Valley and we wanted to try Steele Pass, we opted to walk the last mile to Beveridge, avoiding risks "we didn't need to take."

The cabin is still intact and not destroyed - thank goodness.

I would love to bring in my dozer and re-cut those roads (trails, pathways?), anew.  I wonder if that is even possible?  Probably against some Government regulation - about preserving waterways!
Sparky of SoCal

Looks like an almost ready.
nsgoldberg

Tried to go through Swansea Cerro Gordo today. Too much snow at about 9,000 ft. Had to turn back around. Cerro Gordo road is fine, of course. Bring the care taker, Robert, a bottle of crown Royale if you go to visit the ghost town.

Attached Images
jpeg 20200307_124656.jpg (547.19 KB, 33 views)
jpeg 20200307_124325.jpg (421.71 KB, 33 views)

Salt Peter

Yep right here.
There are lots of books on Death Valley and most include sections on Saline. Check out Roger Mitchell's book. There aren't that many roads. Saline Valley Road, Lippincott, and Steel Pass are the main ways in and out of the valley with some short spur roads which head to historical locations such as mines.
JeepRenegade

Is there a trail guide or guide book to roads and 4wd trails in Saline Valley area?
Smiffy1892

Great to hear! Thanks all!
Bob

I agree, the road is good and you shouldn't have any problems with your Escape. There are 1 or 2 sections that are steep and a bit loose but a little running start will get you through. I saw a Mercedes and a Tesla up at Cerro Gordo last time I was there.
FayeG

I went up to Cerro Gordo from keeler a few weeks ago and any vehicle can do it. It's a very nicely maintained dirt road. You'll want good brakes for the way down.:)
Smiffy1892

Bob - thinking of heading up to cero gordo from keeler side - how’s that road heading up? I have a lifted fzj80 but I’m thinking of taking my Ford Escape as will be doing a ton of road driving.....how’s that road up to Cerro?
Thanks
Ian
Bob

We drove up the Swansea road to the Burgess Mine and then south to Cerro Gordo and out the beginning of June. Road was passable in well equipped 4x4's. We had lifted Tacoma, Jeep Wrangler and a 4Runner. Needed lockers in a couple places but a good off roader would not have any problem. Don't try this road in a stock 4x4 with street tires.
mlmorrison

Has anyone gone from Cerro Gordo south to the top of the Swansea Rd/Burgess Mine lately? Thanks.
Smiffy1892

That's what i needed to know - short visit to the springs for me this weekend so I'll stick to the south pass!
Thanks!
SilverBob

The top of Cerro Gordo Road starts at 8200 ft. and drops through a valley that doesn't get much sun this time of year.  Given the amount of snow I saw at the top of the North Pass (1000 ft. lower), I doubt you'll be able to get through.

If you decide to try it, Be prepared because the likelihood of seeing anyone else up there is pretty slim!

Don't forget to post a report here, one way or the other if you go.
Smiffy1892

anyone have any thoughts on the cerro gordo road into saline valley - never visited Cerro before. Looking at heading in on Fri morning.
Anyone any ideas on snow up there?
Driving a lifted landcruiser with 4wd.
thanks
Ian
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution