Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 6      1   2   3   4   Next   »
BigDaddyJEH

I know, I was just having fun!  LOL
Sam D.

I think he was referring to the woman MagoElle who provides paid rides to the springs:
http://forum.salinepreservation.org/post/show_single_post?pid=1299984601&postcount=1&forum=162657
BigDaddyJEH

Hey, do not be a hater!  I love my FJC and it is a really good vehicle for what I do, including this route several times (which is really fun)!  [smile]
Terawanderer

You will be fine since you have a rear locker and a more powerful engine....than the FJC....which some have called " one of the best desert vehicles ever made".....which is very debatable.
Backcountryduderino
That's kinda what I've gathered. I'm just gonna do from Cerro-Gordo to the Tram station and I drive like a grandma when it's rocky anyway so I think I'll be alright hah.
Sparky of SoCal

It really just slow more than difficult. Just pick your way through. You have a good ride, not a FJC but good.enough
backcountryduderino
Anybody been up Swansea Cerro Gordo lately? What sort of shape is it in? Planning mid October, I've got a 2009 XTerrra Offroad with AT tires, I see its rated 5 in some guidebooks but I've read it isn't particularly rough, just some exposed shelf sections.
Thanks!
Driver

In June the road from Swansea to Burgess Mine and back along the crest to Cerro Gordo was in standard condition and getting heavy traffic.
Salt Peter

I'd be interested to hear how the condition of Swansea is too. I've not driven it but from what I've heard it gives me more concern than say a road like Lippencott.
OpenTrackRacer

Me again...  changing plans.  Has anyone been up or down the Swansea grade road lately?  I'm curious about the condition of the road.  I haven't been on it in years.

Thanks!
OpenTrackRacer

Thanks for the additional trail report.  We're in a group with three Wrangler Unlimited Rubicons (one on 35" tires) and several lifted Xterras on 33" tires so I think we'll be in good shape.
dautremont

I drove the coyote loop summer 2016 from bishop to big pine.  Very easy up the hill, through the flats, and down the initial plateau heading south.  then it gets hairy - there is a sign posted that "most difficult "rating ahead, and they mean it.  a few tight spots for wider vehicles, then some large boulders to negotiate over / around - easy to get high centered.  Then very loose, sandy. gravelly, and steep downhill, until the flats west of Big Pine.  Once you are past the big boulders it is not so bad.  Best to drive it from Bishop to Big Pine, to get familiar.  Of course, conditions change all the time.  I drove a lifted Grand Vitara with rear locker and 31" tires.  Very fun but challenging...
OpenTrackRacer

Thanks for the feedback.  Didn't even think to look on YouTube.  Road doesn't look too bad at all.

We're going to drive up the "normal" way from Bishop but since we're heading south anyway, it would be nice to try something new for once.  We're in a good size group with capable vehicles so I don't anticipate any problems.

Thanks again!
Salt Peter

Depends on what you're driving and your experience level driving off road. From what I understand it is a fairly technical section. Once you're up on the flat it is fairly easy. Why not come from Bishop?
Ranger Ric

Just watched the youtube video of the road...you should get a good idea of what you will be facing...

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!