Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment  
Big Jeff

Well as we know, from a previous situation, it was $ 2000 to recover a vehicle that was closer to the pavement and only one Miller truck.   Also since it is illegal to remove anything indigenous (salt) from a National Park there might be some "Splaining" to do to our Public Servants over at Park HQ.
SilverBob

"Hope Millers charged the moron an arm and a leg."

I've always said, "Stupidity should be painful!"  I wonder if Miller's charges $300 an hour per rig.  Now that would be painful!

Seriously, there are two perfectly good dirt roads that lead right to the edge of the lake.  If they wanted to collect salt, or whatever the hell they were up to, there was no reason to drive where they did.
DVExile

Thanks for the update! I guess I must have driven by the hulk in the dark on 11/4. And I left in the dark on 11/9. So I never even saw the burn area and Millers took it away while I was at the springs. Hope Millers charged the moron an arm and a leg.
bikerjosh

Funny, I was in the Pizza Factory in Lone Pine on the night of Thursday, Nov 8th(?) getting a pie before setting off the next morning leading 7 rigs into the park and the guy behind the counter showed me a picture of the burned up truck/trailer from his phone while it was still out there. I have some crazy ground clearance and I still wouldn't try that.
Toby

I drove out the South 11/5 around noon. Miller"s Towing was there in force with 3 trucks just getting started to pull the wreckage out. 
DVExile

Anyone know if the torched vehicle and trailer were removed from the valley or are the remains still there?
mbryson12

Yup. That's us. When we first heard the call we were a little confused. I thought "Oh man someone lit the trees on fire at the hot springs". Obviously not the case.
Salt Peter

I saw your helo on the way in last week...

James Sel

I'm beginning to form an assumption that keeping a graded a fire road into the valley. Would be cheaper than leaving things the way they are and waiting for the next fire. No! wait that couldn't be right.
mbryson12

This fire was a total of 36 acres. It was a decent size fire for that area and the time of year. We flew into it from lone pine with a helicopter that is still on contract from the Sequoia. We were on the fire for a total of 4 days. It was not a cheap fire in terms of total cost for acres burned. Helicopters are not cheap and then you have to add in the costs for putting people up overnight, food, gas etc.. Pretty selfish move on this individuals part.
paul belanger

Somewhat foolish to drive off into the brush.   I hope Inyo County, or whoever government agency that came, billed him in full for their services.

Sam D.

My camera always reduces. The area is much larger. We're fortunate the fire did not spread beyond the reserve.
I hope the area recovers.
James Sel

I'm not so sure that the fire was harmful to the environment. If the fire was large I surely feel different different. It looks like from other pictures most of what burned was grass. And grass does well after fire.
Lets see how the area grows back in the nest couple of seasons. 
Sam D.

I am sad to report purely based on conversations I've had at the springs that a guy took his vehicle and a trailer off road to the salt lake last week supposedly to collect some salt. Brush got into his catalytic converter causing a fire and burning the vehicle, the trailer and good portion of the natural reserve few miles from the Bat Road on South Pass. Fire crew + helicopter had to be dispatched perhaps depleting already non-existent funds.

Pics are attached.

Attached Images
jpeg IMAG0184.jpg (60.10 KB, 171 views)
jpeg IMAG0185.jpg (65.06 KB, 163 views)
jpeg IMAG0186.jpg (67.12 KB, 143 views)
jpeg IMAG0187.jpg (65.78 KB, 142 views)
jpeg IMAG0188.jpg (77.08 KB, 147 views)

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution