Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment  
Salt Peter

Homestake campsite is no where near as close to a campground compared to SVWS. Homestake has a portapotty. SVHS has multiple pit toilets.

I don't prefer the changes which have happened in the relatively short time I've been going to Saline but it isn't a secret anymore.

The lack of regulation (people not taking care of things, lack of an active camp host) is forcing the hand of the NPS and we will have to wait and see how the new management plan effects visitation.
sierragrl

I've always maintained that Saline Valley warmsprings is an area of dispersed camping....NOT a campground.
For the park to start calling the area a campground, is very problematic and will lead to issues.

I just checked out DVNP's website, and the symbol for the springs is the same as Mesquite Campground, which there is really no comparison too.  Even the Racetrack campground is more of a campground than Saline.

I think this is very bad news.  The Park wants to implement camping permits and camping sites.  Calling the Springs a campground is the first step in that direction.

Just Bill

Good take Morrie....any deterrent is welcome! I agree!
peneumbra

But if you CYA (Cover Your Ass), you won't be naked...
Salt Peter

An acquaintance of mine we'll call "J" mentioned that "the nudists have really taken over the springs" after visiting SVWS during the past couple years. To this my friend "A" and I laughed. Nothing new per the history of the area.

I can see the traveler who is unaware being surprised when seeing naked humans in the desert. The new map notation is definitely a CYA from the NPS.
Sparky of SoCal

I think Morrie is correct with his assumption of more of a heads up to others.
Morrie

My take is that the "clothing optional" was intended more as a warning than a draw, as some people might not consider it "family-friendly".  That said, has anyone ever registered a complaint to the park service because they were offended?
peneumbra

"...Legal Reasons?!? We don't got no Legal Reasons! We don't got to show you no estinkin' Legal Reasons!!"

- B. Trayed, "Treasure Of The Saline Valley"
Sam D.

At some point an agreement existed between SPA and NPS that the springs would not be mentioned in any C/O publications in exchange for the tolerance of C/O recreation at the springs. I guess there are legal reasons for the Park to change its map.
Romy

I agree it's a nice admission, but I also agree with Jay that it would be better to not even list the springs or camping area on the map.  

Then again, in the age of internet, it's already very easy to find out about so probably a moot point.  

Their description is also a bit off (but the map makes it more clear).  Lee Flat, the sand dunes, and the salt tram should be mentioned in their 'South Pass' section, not the Warm Springs Road section.
JayOtheMountains

I liked it better when it was off the map...

Guess we'll have to see what happens next.
timothy_sutherland

Congratulations to all who have fought for our freedoms, our humanity, and naturist rights (we are one of the last people groups to still be discriminated against.) The National Park Service has placed a clothing optional designation on the Death Valley Backcountry & Wilderness Access Map for the Warm Springs! What a great step toward normalizing clothing optional recreation in other parks too now that there is official documentation here! We're also more than grateful that the NPS is finally standing up for naturists to no longer be discriminated against by doing this! From the bottom of our hearts, thank you NPS!!!!!

SV.jpg  SV 2.jpg 

https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/upload/508-Backcountry-and-Wilderness-Access-map_.pdf?fbclid=IwAR2KtmalUrnznEPk-D4qoYilpZ9qAJlCODiARTl2WdWi58aDCvsIWYYlLCs

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution