Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 4      1   2   3   4   Next
SoCalSteve

Thanks ml, I don't know exactly what route he took to get back to Fallon.  Clarification is always welcome as rumours are flying around these days. 
I do know that supposedly closed Kennedy Meadows campground this last weekend was almost full with only two vacant sites. So that was 35 occupied sites.  
Salt Peter

Thank you for the first hand knowledge and response.
mlmorrison

I have a place in Bishop and go north and south on Hwy 6 regularly across the border. There have not been any road blocks anywhere at any time since CA started this stay safe at home nonsense. Perhaps he was thinking of the CA Ag Inspection Station between Benton and the Nevada line? I actually have Texas plates and they just smile and wave me through. Inyo Co Sheriff is pretty much just going about their business and not worrying about stay at home and such. Same applies to Bishop Police. 
SoCalSteve

Follow up to above comments: My friend got back to me.  He said no issues driving north thru Inyo and only saw one Inyo sheriff driving.  However, he did say there was a road block at Highway 6 coming into California.  I assume on the road to Benton out of Bishop as he was heading towards 95 and up to Fallon.  

Good news Bob on the watering.  Originally I heard they cut the valves off, but I hadn't seen the pictures.  Interesting how stories change in the telling, since whoever did the cutting simply cut off the handle stems. Probably not worth trying to fix 'em, and just put in some new valves.  So long as the pipe threads are still serviceable shouldn't take much effort.   
SilverBob

I received a text today from a trusted source who was actually at the springs yesterday, 5/8/2020.  He reported that the palm trees are being watered, even the ones by the Volcano Tub.  I have no reason to doubt this individual, even though he isn't on this forum.  This report eases my concerns for now.  I still might make a trip some time in June, and if I do, I'll alert those who have expressed an interest in maintaining the status quo.
XPBC

A very long time ago at the onset of AIDS the Forest service tore out the tubs at Miracle Springs because it reminded them of the Bath Houses in Hollywood. I think that mentality is long gone.
Rat Bastard

We could ask Lee if he would water the Palms.  

Salt Peter

Sam you're telling us that the functioning valves were taken out and non-functioning ones were put in? Seems like a lot of work where a grinder would save time and energy.

The shower (Wizard Pool) runs down stream of the palms. Next you're gonna tell us their root system goes all the way to the shower run off? Palm tree roots do not fan out widely, they are narrow and deep, Therefore your suggestion that they are watered from the shower, which is only at the Wizard Pool, is a farce. Please share how the palms at the Volcano pool are getting water.

The source overflow runs primarily down the road. It doesn't broaden out to the tubs.
SoCalSteve

That sounds about right Bob.  Inyo seems to have implemented strict adherence to the stay home, don't come here, stay away from all the hot springs, campgrounds, parks, pretty much no recreating or else attitude.  A couple weeks ago while I was in the southern Sierra dispersed camping I heard tell that local law enforcement were pulling people over etc in Lone Pine.  I did just recently see an electric generator sign at Pearsonville concerning Inyo and Mono County suggesting the same I believe but the sign was dim and hard to read.  
I dropped off a PCT hiker near Timbo's yesterday to get a rental car so he can drive home to Reno.  Thus after he drive's thru that entire area he's gonna let me know if he observes anything out of the ordinary along the 395 corridor.
There also seems to be quite an increase in ranger and law enforcement patrolling.  For example I saw the same fish and game law enforcement guy three days in a row up near Kennedy Meadows. In the last four years I had only seen him once (during hunting season).  And the Forrest Service ranger was up there too looking around.  They are driving in all the little dirt roads and looking around, but they did not stop to chat.  
SilverBob

I'm not worried about the valves.  We built it, we can fix it.  That's easy.

I'm glad the shower is running, but what about the palms below the Volcano Tub?  I don't think the water from the shower or the overflow from the source will reach that far.  I suggest that we should address that issue as soon as it's practical to do so.

I'd like to remind people that it wasn't the NPS that closed the tubs, it was Inyo County Health Dept.  Inyo County OWNS Tecopa Hot Spring. They had to close it in order to cover their asses in case someone sued them for getting infected there.  In typical bureaucratic fashion, the wrote an order that ALL public hot springs and soaking pools in the county were to be closed.  The NPS had no choice but to follow the edict.

In short, relax, we'll fix it.
Sam D.

The palm trees are getting water from the shower which is running water below the palms. Both source pools are overflowing, providing ground water to the palms. They will survive.

The valves are not cut - they have been replaced with non-functioning valve to prevent pool fillings. It will take minutes to restore.
Salt Peter

I'll be available after the 22nd to help if needed. I too think the palms need the overflow during the downtime to ensure their viability. SPA and those of us who attended the meetings and submitted comments for the management plan fought to keep the palms.

Truthfully whenever I see and hear a palm tree blowing in the wind it takes me back to Palm Spring in Saline Valley.
dautremont

Very likely that more people will die this year from suicide and drug abuse than from the entire Covid-19 pandemic, and continue dying at the same rate or higher, year after year, mostly younger people, yet we do next to nothing compared to the Covid-19 outbreak response.  The NPS Saline hot springs closure represents a political opportunity, not a public health concern.  The Geronimo reference is all too accurate.  
Sparky of SoCal

The reality that springs as we have known them in past may never happen again. Me sitting at this keyboard spouting it does not mean it will happen. Others with their head in the sand saying the AHJ won't shut it down either does not mean much. The Feds promised Geronimo all kinds of things.  Right guys (To AHJ) 
Geo Mitch

If there is no water going through the pools at Palm Spring all summer I fear the palm trees may die.  I don't know how deep the roots are on those trees but they have always been watered by the flow through the pools so the roots may not go very deep. Normally the crowds drop off after Memorial Day so maybe the valves should be replaced soon after that. I don't mind the hot weather and would be willing to help with the work.  I have been out there many times in the summer and 'social distancing' has always been a common practice. The park service wants to get rid of the palm trees anyway so cutting off the water may be part of their plan.

Geo Mitch
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution