Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Migolito

Spitting Cobra's: No probs. First, wear good fitting running shoes....

BTW, I just picked up a 24oz spray bottle of Sawyer Permithrin at Home Depot. Look in the "seasonal" section near the bird food.
Salt Peter

Yes  they can be that bad.
peneumbra

Now if we could just do something about the spitting cobras...
Sconnie

Wow, that sounds like a lot of work/prep. Are they really that bad there? Seems like it could really kill the vibe/relaxation. 
Migolito

Here's what to do for "no-see-ums".

1. Clothes treatment: Use Permithrin. You can use the spray sold by Sawyer which is 5%, or buy Permithrin (Amazon) and do the "soak" method.

With the spray: absolutely spray every piece of clothing you will be wearing. Jackets, pants, shorts, socks, shoes, hat, everything EXCEPT underwear. Spray it until its well damp. Do not cheap out, buy several spray bottles.

Soak method: Buy NON-petroleum based Permithrin off Amazon. Fill a Homedepot bucket half with water and add Permithrin to reach .8% (thats .3 more than the spray). Soak clothes and air dry. 

Both treatments will last 6 washings.

Skin: Use Picaridin spray and spray all...ALL exposed/unexposed skin, except genitals and feet soles. Spray Hair to toes. You will need to reapply immediately after water immersion. Important! Do not wait to use Picaridin.. Apply BEFORE you get out of your vehicle or you will get bit. Picaridin lotion is great also, but doesnt cover nearly as well as spray.

Tent/Vehicle: Use a Thermocell. IF the bites are via airborne bugs, turn on the Thermocell 1 hour before youre going to be in it (sleep). You can turn it off when you go to sleep IF the tent/vehicle is sealed.

Most folks who get bit after using Picaridin either don't treat their clothes too, or, don't use Picaridin as directed above.

BTW, if you are using a tent-treat the tent with Permithrin inside and out. If you are using a carpet outside your RV...treat it.
Smiffy1892

When you least expect them too.
Normally whenever you want to do something out of the springs - like make breakfast, lunch or dinner - or hang around the grassy area - chat with people - go for walk.....etc etc we had a respite last few days with a healthy breeze - that’s gone now - they’re hungry!
I tried picardin spray - my guess is everyone is different - I’m the type of person you want to be sitting next too.....
Sconnie

When do the noseeums usually attack? Is it an around the clock kind of thing, or just after dark, etc?

Any proven ways to deter them? I've read 1 part pure citronella oil to 9 parts carrier oil, but that's just something I saw on the web.
Smiffy1892

They are out in force - really bad - deet and anything else you can think off - take em!
Enjoy!
peneumbra

One way to keep from being bitten is to soak yourself in diesel fuel. Keeps the bugs away! 
And most everyone else...
P3Tacco

They were out and around last weekend, but not horrific. The off and on chill weather has been limiting them, I believe. The amount of rain in the area is likely going to lead to some major bugginess though. We did get reminded that you sometimes don't notice the biting until the itching starts!
James Sel

LOL! I seen him all ate up, a walking welt. I even had some thing bite me just after he walked away from me; another landed and died on my cheek. BTW now I know what cheep toilet paper is........thought of you Sam.
Sam D.

No exaggeration, Bob. I am a magnet for insects. I might be emitting more CO2 or my blood type is an attractant. Who knows. Day 1 - I applied eucalyptus oil spray when I was not soaking. I had 0 bytes. Day 2 - I partied too much and forgot to spray myself. 30+ bytes later reminded me to spray myself.
As I said before, YMMV.
SilverBob

Michelle and I were at the springs for the last five days. Neither of us were bitten by anything.  Maybe the winds on Wednesday night blew them all away, or maybe somebody is exaggerating.
SYNCRO

We were there last part of October and noticed a tremendous amount of flies.
Sam D.

Got bitten 30+ times in 3 days. I am an insect magnet. Your experience may vary.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution