Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
Big Jeff

L Driven

No worry about that this time, there is no road.[biggrin]
Lyrically Driven

If you're gonna drag the road I'd hope you knew what you were doing, awhile back somebody tried to help and left a trench down the middle of the road, it really sucks to be stuck on either side of a trench on a motorcycle.
SilverBob

The best thing that could be done right now is to more clearly define where the road is.  During the day, the existing tire tracks are easily seen.  Anyone coming in at night would probably have a tough time finding their way.  Dragging the road actually lowers the surface and creates a berm on either side of the road, making it much easier to follow.  I looked at the drags that were laying along the road last week.  They all looked to me to be in various stages of disrepair.  The only one that looked usable consisted of two big tractor tires chained together.  While that may not be as efective as a steel drag, it's probably a lot better than nothing.

Columbus Day weekend has historically been the first "busy" weekend at the Springs each Fall.  If the folks who go in this year have time to spare, it would help a lot if someone could make a lap in front of a drag.  I've pulled a couple of them with my old 1971 Bronco, so you don't need a BIG truck.  The secret is to go slow!!  A low-range transfer case is a must. 
heroicbill

I have a question about the drags.

You're referring to the big contraptions made of heavy equipment parts that are usually sitting by either the turn off to bat rock road or by the bat sign, right?

I have a Dodge with the cummins and they are no problem to slowly drag down the road.  Would that be beneficial right now, or would it knock more big rocks back into the trail?

I've pulled one once but haven't since because I wasn't sure if it's a welcomed gesture.  What about now with the condition of the wash before the Bat sign?  I'd have no problem pulling one in and back out each time if it's smiled upon.  It was actually kind of fun.

florida

My next trip is October 28 till ??? I'm not worried about "crowds". I started a new topic under current events.
Big Jeff

Silver Bob you are right, that's a good grocery getter.   I will stick with my Nissans and your Toyotas are great.   But I have to admit I own a Ford 4x4 van
Hi Desert Warrior

Florida- When is your next trip in?  Will you be there for Thanksgiving?  If so don't take any turkey bones or you might have to answer to the Undead, what ever un is using this time. LOL
SilverBob

Big Jeff,  Lee told us that the truck the NPS got for him is a Chevy Colorado.  I really doubt it'll be pulling many road drags!  I'm anxious to see how long it lasts on those roads.

Florida,  Good decision to go with another vehicle, or two.  Better to be safe.....
florida

Ugly torn up roads are lovely. Ugly torn up vehicles are not. Aside from fresh BFGs I don't think my Syncro can be made any more trail-worthy than it is now. South Pass for me, with company.
Tito

Great Job on the recon mission!!!  Looks like we could do some sailing on Saline!  That would be Fun!  So who's bringing the sailboat?
Big Jeff

In past posts some of the people with big trucks have volunteered to pull the drags, thanks to any of you who take on this daunting task.   Also Silver Bob mentioned that the NPS was providing Lee with a new truck, I wonder if they would allow him to use it for a little Drag Racing Saline style.
Wombat

Yeah, doorless is fun . . . when it ain’t dusty!  

TRAUMAhead

Thanks for the reports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat
So, a South Pass Rod → Hunter>  Hidden Valley -> Racetrack -> Lippincott -> Saline Valley -> Steele Pass and then back to the 395 trip is liklikely  just now!!! Woo hoo!!!

Did that route backwards 3 years ago all while doorless in a Jeep, never again! (Going doorless to DV) http://www.flickr.com/photos/roguephotonic/sets/72157625190307052/
Lyrically Driven

Poor Frank the Tank, all lonely at home. [crazy]

Hiya Tammy!! Motorcycle Rob here.

Thanks for the report Bob and friends!!!
Tahoe Tammy

Thanks for the update SiverBob.  Guess I won't be bringing in Frank this fall.  May have to fly in with Dave.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!