Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
hotsoak

Thanks I'll be checking on all the posts on road conditions.
Myion

Hay robert, this is discussed in some of the other post's, I believe "impassable Um no" had a bunch of info... or one of several others that Silver bob Started about the roads...
hotsoak

This is great information on road conditions from every direction coming into the springs. Does anyone know if there working on the road coming in from North Pass? I usually come in that direction but it looks like from the postings coming in from the South Pass might be better this time around. I plan on coming in the 11th of next month and will be looking for new posts on road conditions in both directions.

Robert
Salt Peter

I believe you, just can't remember the gates.
SilverBob

There are big steel gates at each end of Titus Canyon.  The gate at the west end is at the parking lot where the one-way road starts.  If memory serves, the eastern gate is at the old monument boundary, but it could have been a little bit below that.  They were closed and locked for months last time the road washed out through the canyon.  They were also closed and locked the last time the government shut down. There are also gates on most of the dirt roads leading off of 190 through the valley. (i.e. Artist's Palette, Dante's View, West Side Road, etc.)
Salt Peter

Welcome.

How could Titus be closed? I don't remember seeing gates on any portion of the road.

Do yourself a favor and visit the springs. After you do you will ask yourself why you didn't put it on your list of places to check out.
When you are in Panamint Springs make sure to get the breakfast. It is pretty good.
SilverBob

First of all, Welcome to Saline Valley Talk!  Take your time, look around and you'll find lots of answers to your questions.

"So my question is whether Saline Valley road is navigable via motorcycle after all all of the storms and flooding?"

To paraphrase the late Turtle Jim, "I don't know, I've never seen you ride."

Seriously, check these threads, look at the pictures and decide for yourself.

http://forum.salinepreservation.org/post/south-pass-september-15-2013-6529792

http://forum.salinepreservation.org/post/north-pass-sept-13-2013-6528650

I posted pictures of the worst spots along the road.  The only spot I wouldn't like on a motorcycle is the boulder field, just south of the Willow Creek washout.  I can't think of any other places that would give me trouble.

Don't worry about any shutdown.  Saline Valley Road is a county road, and is not even in the Park for most of its length.  Besides, there are no gates that they could close to keep you out, even if they wanted to.  Titus Canyon, on the other hand, will likely be closed.  Inyo County has the BP-DV Road signed Closed at the top of the hill, before you drop down into Eureka Valley.  I haven't explored it to see exactly where or how bad the washout is, but you might have a problem there, I don't know.

Good luck on the ride.  If you do make this trip, please give us a report, especially on the road across Eureka Valley.  Thanks!

Bajaxp

Hi
I am new to this forum (first post), but I found it when seeking some information on the condition of Saline Valley road.  My buddy and I are going to set out on a five day dual sport ride on our dirt bikes (KTM 450's) at the beginning of October.  We are planning on going from Keeler to Panamint Springs, then Panamint up Saline Valley road to Big Pine.  BP through Crankshaft Jct to Gold Point.  GP to Beatty.  Beatty back to Keeler via Titus Canyon. 

So my question is whether Saline Valley road is navigable via motorcycle after all all of the storms and flooding?  Is Saline Valley road ever bladed?  Any information on the roads to the east, such as around Crankshaft junction or Oriental wash?  We are not going to the springs.  What effect would the government shutdown have on DV travel.  DV is a national park, but there are public roads going through it.  Soooo...it would be hard to 'shut down.'  Thought?  Opinions?

We have done the section from Lipicott (sp?) to 190 before, but not the entire SV road. 

Any information would be appreciated.

-MP
James Sel

I know that spot, there is a ton of palm trees down there. nice pic.

TRAUMAhead

That was actually on the way home, at the end of the Kern Canyon road (178) right when it opens up to Bakersfield.
Ranger Ric

TRAUMAhead-I looked at your pictures from your link and the last picture you labeled was "Artificial waterfall."  If you don't mine sharing, what part of the trip did you take this from?  
Big Jeff

L Driven

The goal here is to re-establish the historic paths of those roads wiped out by the summer storms. We can not be concerned about your ability to transverse across a "Trench", and it makes me wonder what your reaction might be to the "Trench" at Willow Creek. The work to re-establish these roads has already started with actions like marking the trail using saved GPS data and tying surveyors flagging to bushes ETC., Filling in ditches, moving rocks aside and there might even be some dragging going on[eek]. By the way it is important to stay on the historic courses or a least close to them to avoid driving on wilderness soil, a BIG NONO.

Myion

Actually, I think silver was saying please drag us a new road...=)
Lyrically Driven

Easy answer, no road, no drag...done. [biggrin]

winks

Laughing with a mouthful of beer is bad for keyboards.
BJ, you owe me a keyboard.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!