Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 6 of 9     «   Prev   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   Next
RealEd

I am planning to camp at Panamint Springs Thursday night before coming on Friday. So I see from Silver Bob that I can not take 395 to Trona then on to 190/Panamint Springs. If anyone hears that the Trona Road opens....please post. I hate to have to go the long way!

Any thing I should bring for the good of the order?
mylo

Great forum !
Fairly new to Death Valley area exploring.  I was planning on heading thru the North pass to Saline Valley (toyota awd Highlander) this coming week but after discovering this forum, maybe not.  The South end sounds a bit more doable with slow and steady as she goes.   Anyone with any further updates on North or South entries?
DVExile

Saw efdfireman at the springs, nice meeting you.

Did South Pass myself, but there was a stock Ford that came in via North Pass who was planning on going out the same way as well.

On Friday full size Ford (I think, maybe Chevy) with a pop up camper came in via North Pass.  Got in without trouble but after the experience they were planning on going out South Pass instead.

Many people from up North were opting to do South Pass instead of trying North Pass.

Lee went in and out of North Pass on Thursday with his trailer.  Said he had quite a bit of trouble getting back in with the loaded trailer.

So North very much depends on the vehicle, driver and level of determination I think.
efdfireman

I made a round trip on North pass last week.  Here is a map of the trip on my way out.  It starts at the end of Bat Rock.  It also shows the detour at willow creek pretty good.  I was driving a stock Tahoe with running boards.  No problem with clearance except dragged my trailer hitch receiver at Willow Creek in both directions.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=211818132651908419475.0004eab6def32aaebea0a

I hope the map show up.  I did take pictures but they didn't do the road justice.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid= 211818132651908419475.0004eab6def32aaebea0a

Copy the entire link and paste in browser
SYNCRO

Came out No pass 11/1 in a lifted syncro westy. Had to use my granny gear & 4wd to come up out of a couple of the washouts. At wilow creek ran in to a couple of guys from Inyo Co. road dept checking out the damage.
They said it was worse than they thought. If my vehicle was any longer or lower I don't think I would have tried it. At about 18 mi from Bat rd was where the county had graded to and smooth sailing from there.
My opinion; If you are long, low, hauling a trailer, or marginal tires, forget it!
Big Jeff

No disrespect to the fireman (been there done that) but the posts seem very informative, maybe you should check the Morning Report at the NPS Death Valley site.   Not much off topic there.
SethW

Came out North Pass on the 31st in long bed 4 door F350, 2 hours springs to pavement with no issues.  Have to take it slow below the Narrows but road is good otherwise if you are in a decent off road vehicle and have driving experience.

Have Fun

SilverBob

The most recent trip report (with pictures) was made on Oct 21, 12 days ago.  Two days ago, Major Tom reported that the county has graded in 15 miles.  How much do you think it's going to change in a couple days?  Just prepare for what you've seen on here and go for it.  If it's completely fixed, you'll be pleasantly surprised.  If it's not, you already know what to expect.

I can hardly wait for your clear, concise description of the North Pass when you return.
efdfireman

Any true experiences from the North pass in the past few days?  I would like to go in the next few days.  Anyone else planning a trip and want to caravan?  I will be leaving from the Mammoth area.  So many of the post are so off topic...I would just like the conditions!
bmxmtbman

Ohhhh. I hope they don't do the whole thing. I really wanted to see it in its torn up state. Earliest I'll be there is thanksgiving. 
Major Tom

I know there is a dozer of some interesting repute at Willow Creek! [smile]
SilverBob

I hope they don't stop at Willow Creek, but I'm afraid they might have to.  Two graders are no match for that ravine!  That's going to require a dozer and lots of road fill to repair.  I'm glad they're working on it, and I'll be happy with whatever improvement we get!

I also think it's odd that they're working on the North Pass, while the Panamint Valley Road is still closed.  I know one man who was ticketed by CHP last Friday for driving around the "Road Closed" sign down there.  There is currently no legal way to get from Trona to Hwy 190 without resorting to 4WD roads.  Maybe all our phone calls have paid off!
heroicbill

I am pretty shocked by this, but very pleased!

I wouldn't think that road would be any sort of priority, I mean consider the condition of the south pass for some time now.

Major Tom

I just spoke with the Inyo County Road Department, and confirmed that the county is working on grading the north pass. As of today (10/30) they have made fifteen miles of progress toward the valley, and hope to have the road drive-able by Thanksgiving. I will keep up on this and keep our members and subscribers up to date as the holiday approaches. This is good news!
zidaro

ha, you guys are funny.  I should re-clarify that i said "older" gent.  I have no idea how old he is, but hes not as young as i.  
He was driving, and im guessing, an early 2000's chevy white 2wd with stocker tires, no campershell, standard cab, a bicycle and firewood were in the back, had his shirt off and he was smiling.

the ditch is still there at Willow Ranch.  It is HUGE now and very impassable.  As Silver stated, you now stay to West toward the ranch gate and there is a new "ramp" thru the ravine.  That steep ramp is in the pics i have posted, has a couple of boards crossing the creekwater.  

North Pass is much rougher now than i have ever driven it.  It should not be considered a graded road, parts are now a offroad trail.  If you are not confident in your skills and your rig, you dont belong there. Time and tracks will smooth the trail out and make it more passable.  If you have 4x4, you "should" be golden.

I can go into disclaimers about knowing your abilities, rigs definition, etc....   or we can all be adults, use common sense, and earn a Darwin Award if were too stupid to know our own limitations.  Just cuz someone else can do it doesnt always mean you are capable, and visa versa. 

hope this information helps someone. [thumb]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!