Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 5 of 9     «   Prev   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   Next   »
bikerjosh

Three rigs from my group left Palm Springs camp on Sunday headed out North Pass. Haven't heard anything about how the route was, but the route to Steel Pass was well worn and signed with ribbons.
Ran into Oregon John Sunday morning at the spring.
I'll post a link to my trip later today.
thanks Josh
Spider

We went in through the South on Saturday morning after spending the night at the corral just south of Hunter Cyn. It is very bumpy, but do-able if you take your time and have good ground clearance. We decided to go past Bat Rock Road to Willow Creek to take a look at "the situation" and spent some time talking to Dave.
There are a few washouts on Bat Rock Road that can hold a nasty surprise if you are going too fast or the light is at the wrong angle. So once again, taking your time is the key...
We decided to go out the North yesterday to have a clear picture of what both passes look like, and made it without problems through the washout at Willow Creek. The road north of Willow Creek until the graded section has some deep washouts that will require ground clearance and slow pace.
I'll post some pictures when I get home from work tonight.
Oh, did I say slow pace? It took us 5 hours coming in through the South and 4 hours from the springs to pavement through the North pass. We drive a 4x4 Sportsmobile with a trailer hitch mounted storage box, and only dragged the box twice.... [biggrin]

Anette

Salt Peter

Good stuff here. Thanks for the reports. I'm considering North Pass for the next venture in.
RealEd

Thanks for all the current reports. With that news I will stay on 395 up to 190 then across to stay at Panamint Springs on Thursday night for a Friday trip to the springs. Any one know of a good place to camp between 395 and the south road turn off of 190? I will be leaving a truck and trailer and coming in by Toyota Land Cruiser!
luckypabst

They were parked a little downhill from the canyon. It looks like they're about halfway through cutting the drainage ditch parallel to the road along the first straight grade into the valley. Not terribly close to willow creek yet...
SilverBob

Thanks for the report.  I wonder how much progress the graders have made by now.  Where were they?
luckypabst

I went in and out North with a stock full size Ford 4x4 on good tires with 9' pop-up camper. Word at the tubs was that south was even worse, but I think that's from folks that had only been on south. Anyway... no issues other than kissing my bumper on one of the dips. There's a good bit of twisting as you wind through the bad stuff and I think that might have broke the frame in my camper again. I'll have it shipshape by New Year's for sure... And since everyone likes to boast: 3 hours each way for me, pavement to camp, including tip-toeing in low range through the worst of it.

Chris
SilverBob

Apparently, Inyo County is afraid to post Indian Ranch Road as a detour because of liability.  That road is not up to the county's standards, so if they sent folks that way, and someone ran off the road or something, they could sue the county for sending them down a sub-standard road.  Remember that there are more lawyers in California than there are in any country outside the US.
Hi Desert Warrior

I don't know why the road department doesn't post detour signs.  As the road is drivable for all size vehicles.
James Sel

Bob is right. Also on an another forum a park employes reports one CHP was spotted today patrolling it. Over last weekend the attenders of Panamint Valley Days were granted a permit to use the Closed road and they did so without any issues. See permit attached.  It would not have been needed if the road was open.

Attached Files
pdf SE13-40.pdf (198.95 KB, 21 views)

SilverBob

Yep, there was lots of traffic a couple weeks ago, too.  Our 4WD group  drove it for two days.  Then late Saturday afternoon, October 26th, a CHP car showed up.  He parked between Minnietta Road and Slate Range Road and just started picking people off.  I haven't heard how much the fine is, and who knows if he'll be back?  I guess you just have to take your chances.
Hi Desert Warrior

When I travelled it, there was a lot of traffic coming and going.  Even a Death Valley Ranger.  But, good advice anyway.
SilverBob

Be aware!  The CHP is ticketing vehicles driving on Panamint Valley Road between Hwy 190 and Trona-Wildrose Road.  PV Road is signed CLOSED at 190, and Indian Ranch Road is signed CLOSED just north of Ballarat.  Yes, both roads are in good usable condition, but the county still has them CLOSED.  Use this detour at your own risk.  If you are cited, don't say I didn't warn you!
Hi Desert Warrior

Real ED-  Yes, you can reach Panamint Springs via Trona.  Take the road to Ballerat.  At Ballerat take the Indian Ranch Road all the way to Panamint Valley Road and North to Hwy 190.  Only the section that is closed to construction is the area between the Ballerat turn off and Indian Ranch Road turn off on the Panamint Road.  The rest of the way is good black top.  Indian Ranch Road is a well graded Road with no ruts and little washroards along the way.  I did the trip on the last weekend of Oct.  By the way, stop in Ballerat Ghost Town and see the old graveyard known as the garden of death.
Salt Peter

Welcome to the forum. I would advise against the Highlander. How much off-road driving experience do you have? What are the tires like? If you give it a try make sure to bring ample water, food, and supplies to fix your vehicle(tires) should you encounter a problem. Let us know how it goes too.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!