Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 9      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   Next   »
Spider

Here are a few photos, as promised, as well as a short video of the crossing at Willow Creek. It will show you what kind of wheelbase / overhang can make it through. We did some plowing with the storage box, but had checked for rocks first...

Coming up from the valley. The equipment parked next to the road is Dave's.
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j118/netty72/Saline%20Nov%202013/P1070909_zps1ad9ad24.jpg

The "road"
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j118/netty72/Saline%20Nov%202013/P1070907_zps6412e89e.jpg

One of the deeper washouts along Bat Road
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j118/netty72/Saline%20Nov%202013/P1070912_zps56edbdcc.jpg

What used to be the road at Willow Creek
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j118/netty72/Saline%20Nov%202013/P1070947_zps84bd4a67.jpg

Video
http://s78.photobucket.com/user/netty72/media/Saline%20Nov%202013/P1070944_zpse6c854ff.mp4.html
kurt765

Are they actually going to do anything to south pass? The "road closed" sign has been there for years. I have kinda taken it to mean they don't mean to ever do anything with it ever again and don't even want people driving that way.
mylo

Just returned from the springs. We`took the North route yesterday (Thursday) in a Toyota Highlander. After turning off the pavement at Death Valley Rd, it took 3 Hrs to the lower springs.  We passed the Saline Valley Rd. crew with their graders (two) after 21 miles from turning off the pavement.  There are a few minor wash outs along the way but easily crossed. Right at Willow Creek Camp, Saline Valley Rd is completely washed out.  However, thanks to many previous travelers and Dave Rogers, there is a very easy drive around that presents no problems.......unless you're in a regular car.  At Willow Creek (where the BIG washout is) just turn right, right where the wash out is, then down and up and all is good.  This was my first visit to the Springs and it blew my socks off!  Can't wait to return.  After spending the night, we left the springs this morning via the South route and it took 5 hrs to Hwy 190.  Yeah, it was rough but very doable, again, as long as you're not in a regular car.  According to others at the Springs, the South route is the roughest they've ever seen it, going back many many years.
Major Tom

I spoke with the Inyo County Road Department supervisor who has boots on the ground in the north pass. The crew has reached 22 miles into the pass, and a D-7 will be delivered to the pass on November 19. They will begin "walking" it in from that point. Will the road be open for Thanksgiving? He is not sure about that. Progress is being made, and I will deliver as up-to-date a report as I can before I head out on my holiday travels. The south pass is taking a back seat to the Wildrose Road, and no work is planned on it at present. It seems to be the road of choice, but very slow going. Remember,  you do not save time by driving fast in Saline.
DVExile

"I'm anxious to see what the graders do when they get to Willow Creek."

They'll wait for the bulldozer...
SilverBob

No off-camber spots, just some short steep drops and climbs.  I'd say that as long as your camper doesn't overhang your rear bumper, (i.e. no 9 or 10 foot camper in an 8 foot truck bed) You should be OK as long as you have decent ground clearance.  The long wheelbase will require a bit of maneuvering around a couple sharp turns, but others have done it.  There has been a lot of traffic on the North Pass, so the road keeps getting better.  I'm anxious to see what the graders do when they get to Willow Creek.
heroicbill

On the north pass are there any really off-camber portions that may give me trouble with a full size truck and a cab-over camper?

That's really my only concern, particularly at the bypass for the wash we've heard so much about.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Jake

Spider

It really depends on how you approach your drive. You can probably make the drive in 2 hours and under in a really capable and enhanced vehicle. We have a large and older vehicle, and I don't like to stress about loosing vital parts along the way. We stop a few times for photos etc. So yes, it can easily take 4 hours if you take your time, take it easy and make sure your vehicle stays in good shape [wink]
bikerjosh

Talked the guy in my group driving the most capable rig, late model xterra with king suspension took 2.5 hours from the Springs with stops for pictures to the intersection with Big Pine Rd. 
I was only on Saline Valley Road from the intersection with Lippencott(sp) to the turn off for the springs but thought it was in pretty good shape.
Josh

SilverBob

My last trip in the north took 3 1/2 hours from pavement to camp, but I was pulling my teardrop trailer.  Your mileage, as they say, may vary.  Just remember,
"Nobody ever got a flat tire from driving too slow." -Turtle Jim
Sparky of SoCal

I do have a very well equipped ride I will say that first. From The Dunes to the Upper Warm Springs where we camped less than two hours and that was with pictures at Marble Bath. All about the tires and suspension. I completely understand that that is not for everyone but when you have the right stuff it is another kind of fun.

tomi

Saline Wacoba Road from the pavement to the springs is roughly 40 miles.  You have to average at least 15 to 20 mph to make it under 3 hours.  Once you start traveling at those speeds the risk of tire puncture increases besides rattling all the filling out of your head.  For me 10 to 15 mph is plenty fast to enjoy the scenery plus stop and take pictures.  BTW going out Steele Pass takes the same amount of time.  It's about 20 miles to the Dunes and I don't think anyone runs that roads faster than 10 mph. Granted at the Dunes you can travel at highway speed. 
SalineJim

I don't mean to be argumentative here but when we were at the springs they told us 2 1/2 hrs out the north which is exactly how long it took us to get from the springs to the road.  I honestly don't see how it would take 4 hrs unless you go really slow over the last half of the road which is as smooth as a baby's hiney.  The south is so bad I would never suggest going over that road unless you just like to be frustrated for 4 hrs.  The road is just in awful shape.
tomi

Four hours is about the right amount time taking North Pass from pavement to springs.  Post pictures.
Sparky of SoCal

I came in to the springs Saturday afternoon via Steele past and things are a little different but still the same as in the past. From the time you drop down into the last big wash on the path wiggles around a little different than before but still just a lot of damn rocks. Not big ones just typical rocks you either go around or over. Lots of room to play with but not enough to drive a full size truck with a camper. Well I could drive yours down the wash but I would not drive mine if I had one.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!