Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 9      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   Next   »
Shadyapex

Salt Peter, the camper is mine and I've had it a couple of years now. Love it, now I can go where the old camper van couldn't and still have a great level of comfort!
Major Tom

The D7 is being delivered to the top of the North Pass today, and they will begin walking it in. (D8's were used to carve out the AlCan Highway back in the 40's). Inyo County Road told me the road might be opened as soon as the 24th, but of course could make no assurances of that. The adventure continues.
Salt Peter

Welcome to SPA Shadyapex.
Does your ugly brother have a new fourwheel camper? I think I may have met him at the FWC gathering at San Onofre.
Shadyapex

I'd like to give major kudos to the folks who do the rough work of dealing with the washouts initially and paving the way for others, like myself, who want to come enjoy the springs. Thank you to all who do the work and post the reports of road conditions. I am coming in on the 28th, Nov. and was planning on South Pass until I read this report and now it seems that North Pass is the better option. We're coming from my home in Bishop so this is a pretty big time savings assuming I'm reading the posts correctly.
I'll be traveling with my ugly brother in a light silver/blue '97 Tacoma with a 4 wheel pop up camper so come by to say hello so I can thank you in person if you're at the springs. Cheers, Steve,,,,,,
SilverBob

Nope.  Blue Toyota truck camped below the Volcano tub.  Apparently there were two teardrops in the valley in October.  At any rate, the North Pass is not a problem for small trailers with clearance.
Salt Peter

"Michelle and I had our teardrop trailer at the Springs in October.  We came in and left via the North Pass without difficulty."

Did you have a red jeep and parked east of the Volcano Pool at Palm Spring?
SilverBob

"There was a teardrop there last month. Not sure which route they came in on though."

Michelle and I had our teardrop trailer at the Springs in October.  We came in and left via the North Pass without difficulty.
Spider

Sam D., yes that's the Willow Creek bypass. The only two spots where the storage box hit the ground was here and once along Bat Road. There is one deep washout in the South, but it's not as deep as these two. You should be able to do it if you rent something with a little more ground clearance than your regular category [wink]

Jake, the truck is still with us, but needs a little work. This one here was a life-long dream, and we finally made it come true a few weeks ago. This was the maiden voyage [smile]

I think the drive is OK for any vehicle with high clearance, good tires and somewhat of a short wheelbase. Just take it slow and easy! I have no experience pulling a trailer, so I don't dare to give advice on that topic.

Anette
florida

There was a tent trailer there over Halloween, perhaps the same that "mylo" saw. The owners said they suffered major damage coming in.
Salt Peter

There was a teardrop there last month. Not sure which route they came in on though.
heroicbill

Anette, Thank you for the video!

That helps know what to expect with my camper overhang
Did you guys trade the truck for the sportsmobile?  Nice!

Jake

mylo

When I was there earlier in the week there was a fellow there with a tent trailer.  It was a higher  clearance one and he was pulling it with a 4x4 isuzu rodeo.  He came in on the South route (really rough and long.)  He left via the North route, same route I came in on.  The North route is very doable, just take it easy pulling your pop up tent trailer (as long as it has decent ground clearance.)
jerry holthaus

Does anyone feel that a if I'm towing a pop-up tent trailer I can make it into the springs by either the north or south route? My truck is a 4x4 and the trailer doesn't sit to low to the ground  Plan on visiting the springs just after Thanksgiving weekend. Jer
Sam D.

Thanks for the report, Spider.
Is it the worst ditch depicted in your video? Is it the bypass for the Willow Creek ditch?
Salt Peter

South Pass was worse last fall and earlier this year. It is getting better just as North Pass is now. Thanks for the video. If that's the worst part of North Pass then it is more than doable. It's my preferred route in anyway.
Batrock road is the worst I've ever seen it.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!